Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

gabrielin

Aug 14, 2014, 1:58 PM

Post #1 of 18 (57946 views)

Shortcut

Vegan Recipes?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Anyone have some vegan-ized versions of their favorite Mexican dishes that they'd like to share? I'm not a great cook so the simpler, the better. I'll probably share a recipe or two here in the future. :)

Maesonna

Aug 14, 2014, 8:51 PM

Post #2 of 18 (57916 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gabrielin] Vegan Recipes?

I made these “fish” tacos a couple months ago, and they were fabulous. The recipe ended up making too much batter, so I also battered and fried some carrot and zucchini sticks, maybe some broccoli, too, I don’t remember. Anyway it was great, and the whole family liked them, vegetarian and meat-eaters alike.

Maesonna

Aug 16, 2014, 2:52 PM

Post #3 of 18 (57870 views)

Shortcut

Here’s another one. We had this for lunch today and it was divine. No adaptation required; it’s already vegan (vegetarians might add a strip of Oaxacan cheese to each quesadilla, but we didn’t bother, even though no one here is vegan).

Prepare any or all of the following three fillings:
1. Squash blossoms: clean them, wash them, and chop coarsely. Saute in a little bit of oil with a very generous amount of chopped onion (nearly half blossoms and half onion) until wilted and cooked. Salt to taste.

2. Huitlacoche: Same thing, but add a generous amount of chopped epazote to the saute mixture. If you want, you can also combine the huitlacoche with up to an equal volume of fresh corn kernels.

3. Mushrooms (any kind): Same thing – also season them with epazote.

Have ready or prepare some salsa. Traditionally we like green salsa with this, but today we had tomato (red) salsa with guajillo chile and it was superb.

Heat a comal or large frying pan and oil it. Have ready some soft corn tortillas. Fill tortillas with a couple tablespoons of one of the vegetable fillings, fold in half, and fry on both sides.

For the deluxe version, instead of tortillas, prepare some corn masa, divide it into balls and use a press to shape them into tortillas. Fill them similarly, fold in half and fry on both sides in shallow oil.

Pass the salsa and let each person serve themselves (open up a fresh, hot quesadilla and trickle in or spoon in the salsa to taste).

We also passed around an avocado and let each person cut themselves a few bits to put into their quesadillas.

Maesonna

Aug 18, 2014, 10:25 AM

Post #4 of 18 (57790 views)

Shortcut

A few more. Garbanzos substitute well for shrimp in some dishes that have shrimp in a sauce or sauteed with (say) tomato, chile, onion, and garlic, etc.
The classic Mexican seafood cocktail works well substituting chopped mushrooms (setas - oyster mushrooms) for the seafood.
Check the website of Hongos Leben – they have lots of mushroom versions of Mexican recipes, some of which are vegan.

DavidMcL / Moderator

Aug 22, 2014, 9:39 AM

Post #5 of 18 (57578 views)

Shortcut

If you look in MexConnect's Cuisine section you wil find:
http://www.mexconnect.com/...ngredient/vegetarian
which offers you 151 vegetarian recipes!
Enjoy!

David
David McL
WebJefe

La Isla

Aug 22, 2014, 10:10 AM

Post #6 of 18 (57574 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Vegan Recipes?

In Reply To
If you look in MexConnect's Cuisine section you wil find:
http://www.mexconnect.com/...ngredient/vegetarian
which offers you 151 vegetarian recipes!
Enjoy!

David

But vegetarian and vegan are not always synonymous, are they?

buffalodon

Aug 22, 2014, 10:13 AM

Post #7 of 18 (57572 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Vegan Recipes?

Eleven Varieties of Vegetarians

Pescatarians (or Pescetarians) eat no meat or animal flesh, with the exception of fish.
    Pollotarians are semi-vegetarians who eat no beef, pork, or seafood, and only small amounts of poultry.
    Flexitarians are mostly vegetarian, but not exclusively so; they may briefly eat in any other eating style before returning to a plant-based diet.
    Breatharrians do not eat. They absorb nutrients from the air.
    Lacto-Ovo Vegetarians eat no meat of any kind, but do consume eggs (ovo) and products made with milk (lacto). There is an activist subgroup in this category that only eats eggs, butter, and cheese if these were produced by free range, certified cruelty free animals.
    Lacto Vegetarians eat no meat of any kind, but do eat dairy.
    Ovo Vegetarians eat no meat of any kind, but do eat eggs.
    Vegans do not consume any type of meat, eggs, or dairy.
    Raw Vegans do not eat any food heated above 115° F because they believe that cooking at a higher temperature reduces nutrients.
    Social Conscience Vegans live all aspects of their lives in a way that makes sure no animals were harmed by what they eat, wear, or use. This includes avoiding by-products that were made because of what animals produce, such as gelatin (a pork product) in pills and honey from bees.
    Macrobiotics emphasize Asian vegetables, sometimes eat fish, but are adamant about eating unprocessed foods, avoiding sugar, and eliminating refined oils.

If you didn't know how old you were, how old would you think you were?

La Isla

Aug 22, 2014, 10:26 AM

Post #8 of 18 (57568 views)

Shortcut

Re: [buffalodon] Vegan Recipes?

Wow, I had no idea there were so many kinds of vegetarians. Much too complicated for me to deal with. I'll stick to being an omnivore, as God intended me to be!

DavidMcL / Moderator

Aug 22, 2014, 2:16 PM

Post #9 of 18 (57544 views)

Shortcut

Me too!
David McL
WebJefe

buffalodon

Aug 22, 2014, 2:16 PM

Post #10 of 18 (57543 views)

Shortcut

Yes, they certainly are a fussy bunch of eaters.

If you didn't know how old you were, how old would you think you were?

Maesonna

Aug 26, 2014, 8:59 AM

Post #11 of 18 (57208 views)

Shortcut

Here’s another one: If you want to make enchiladas de mole, a bit of cooked, crumbled cauliflower makes a good stuffing.

Maesonna

Aug 26, 2014, 9:01 AM

Post #12 of 18 (57208 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Vegan Recipes?

Also, please note. You are my dear friends, some of you even in person, but “Please suggest some vegan recipes” is not the same as “Please share your opinion about how veganism is picky and stupid.”

La Isla

Aug 26, 2014, 9:26 AM

Post #13 of 18 (57195 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Also, please note. You are my dear friends, some of you even in person, but “Please suggest some vegan recipes” is not the same as “Please share your opinion about how veganism is picky and stupid.”

What can I say, amiga? There's something about just the idea of veganism (there's no way I could live without cheese!) that brings out the snarky side of even the nicest people.

Maesonna

Aug 26, 2014, 11:33 AM

Post #14 of 18 (57179 views)

Shortcut

Apology accepted :) But next time, how about saving the snark for a more deserving target. I too cringe at certain types of militant vegans who like to lecture people about what they should do – but a simple request for tasty recipes is far, far from that.

rayitodeluna

Oct 30, 2014, 1:52 PM

Post #15 of 18 (52658 views)

Shortcut

http://www.veganricha.com/2014/10/beluga-lentil-stuffed-sweet-potatoes.html

I LOVE including vegan recipes on our meals, there are some irresistable recipes out there and food bloggers who have the BEST ideas. We also really love vegan soups, Ill be back with a link to a blog with several recipes I have tried and love.

Meanwhile, feast your eyes on this... Wish we had those beluga black lentils here, they look GORGEOUS. Love lentils.
http://www.veganricha.com/...-sweet-potatoes.html

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

rayitodeluna

Oct 30, 2014, 2:07 PM

Post #16 of 18 (52655 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Vegan Recipes?

I also recommend the blogs titled
Oh She Glows
Healthful Pursuit

Have tried several recipes from each blog and have been enjoyed them quite a bit. There is a Roasted Garlic Cream soup on Healthful Pursuit that. I love, I DID double the garlic due to the comments saying more gaelic was needed.
Also, there is a Rad Raw Rainbow Pad Thai recipe on Oh She Glows that is soooo delicious and crunchy and satisfying- even my young preschool aged kids eat it up. Delish.

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

Rkit

Mar 13, 2016, 1:28 PM

Post #17 of 18 (31017 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Vegan Recipes?

Thanks for such informative post.

NancyLoMc

Oct 21, 2016, 8:55 PM

Post #18 of 18 (23980 views)

Shortcut

[reply]Anyone have some vegan-ized versions of their favorite Mexican dishes that they'd like to share? I'm not a great cook so the simpler, the better. I'll probably share a recipe or two here in the future. :)[/reply]

Hi gabrielin!

My husband and I love these potato and spinach tacos -- you can top with vegan cheese or omit it and they are super amazing. The recipe is very simple: saute the potatoes with some onion, add the spinach and seasonings, warm up the tortillas...You can actually print out the recipe from my blog http://mexicanmademeatless.com/potato-and-spinach-tacos-with-queso-fresco/

By the way, I'm a food blogger who is mostly plant-based so I feel your pain about veganized Mexican food. That has actually been the inspiration for my blog. Anyway, not trying to be spammy just wanted to share with you.
~Nancy

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4