Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

SueBob

Aug 15, 2014, 7:04 AM

Post #1 of 11 (3525 views)

Shortcut

Permanent Resident, but want to keep car in US

Can't Post | Private Reply
We live permanently in Ajijic, but we want to keep a car in the US. We are selling our US house so don't have a "residence". Does anyone know about plating US car (bought and kept in US), or about need to maintain a US driver's license? Can we just select a state? Thanks in advance for your help.

donemry

Aug 15, 2014, 7:23 AM

Post #2 of 11 (3520 views)

Shortcut

Re: [SueBob] Permanent Resident, but want to keep car in US

If the car is staying in the US, would it not be at some address? Look for states/municipalities that do not require inspections to renew.

sioux4noff

Aug 15, 2014, 11:02 AM

Post #3 of 11 (3476 views)

Shortcut

The car has to "live" somewhere. You could always plate it in South Dakota, and not have to provide proof of insurance or inspection to keep the plates current.

SueBob

Aug 15, 2014, 11:55 AM

Post #4 of 11 (3457 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Permanent Resident, but want to keep car in US

If you plate it in South Dakota, do you need to provide "an address?

rvgringo

Aug 15, 2014, 12:03 PM

Post #5 of 11 (3455 views)

Shortcut

NOTE: Only Clay County, SD, will do this for you with a US address and Social Security number. You will have to call them at 605-677-7123 and have your vehicle information at hand. They will give you the cost and you mail a check along with the title. You will receive SD plates in a matter of days, and a SD title about two weeks later. You renew annually by phone with a credit card.

sioux4noff

Aug 15, 2014, 1:14 PM

Post #6 of 11 (3434 views)

Shortcut

Of course you would have to have an address. What would you expect them to put on the title, where to mail renewal notices, where to mail photo-infraction tickets?
You surely will have some address somewhere, a child, a friend, a mail drop.

RickS

Aug 15, 2014, 1:17 PM

Post #7 of 11 (3433 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Permanent Resident, but want to keep car in US

RV, this only Clay County is simply not the case and actually never was. Someone (in Ajijic) started that myth years ago and others picked up on it. It is not against South Dakota laws nor policies to issue out-of-state residents SD titles/plates. Clay County is not doing something 'under the sheets'. They (other Counties) have been doing this, initially for RV'ers, for years if not decades.

Now I would certainly agree that Clay County is probably the best place to do so if for no other reason than the super helpful employees that work in the Treasurer's office.... Mary and the other deputies. It's a small town/county and they know the meaning of Customer Service!

In addition to the things your sited as required paperwork, add:

+ A copy of the driver's licenses for everyone being put on the title
+ State of South Dakota Application for Motor Vehicle Title and Registration - Form MV-608 (available on their website)
+ State of South Dakota 'Damage Disclosure Statement' - also on the website
+ Your address, or the US address you want to have on the title and where the plates/title will be shipped; a mail-forwarding address will work just fine (ergo all the cars with SD plates at Lakeside)

Also, renewal can be done by snail mail also. Annually they send out a 'postcard' renewal notice. One can send it and a check back by snail mail.

http://www.claycountysd.org/view.php?doc_id=310

Like you said, just give the ladies at Clay County a call and they will walk you through the process. They are great!

P.S. It is now taking 3+ weeks to get the title out of the State; Clay County, however, will get your plates and Registration form out to you quick as a flash! I did a new registration a couple of weeks ago; talked to them for prices on a Friday, mailed it off on Saturday and had the plates/registration at my house in Colorado on Thursday! Still waiting on the title from the State.

rvgringo

Aug 15, 2014, 2:07 PM

Post #8 of 11 (3412 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Permanent Resident, but want to keep car in US

Thanks for the update and the new information. We did ours many years ago.

SueBob

Aug 15, 2014, 2:20 PM

Post #9 of 11 (3408 views)

Shortcut

Thanks so much for your further clarification. I was concerned about not having a US address where I actually live (even tho the car is garaged somewhere). No problem with providing a mailing address.

But this leads to another issue: don't we need separate US car insurance, and of course rates vary dramatically with your "address". It seems insurance companies would care where you actually commonly drive, and would not be satisfied with SD plates or a Laredo PO Box.

Sorry to be so dense -- we're new.

RickS

Aug 15, 2014, 2:42 PM

Post #10 of 11 (3400 views)

Shortcut

If you live in Ajijic and/but have a car 'garaged' in the US somewhere, one can get from any/most insurance companies something akin to a 'stored car' rate. This is basically comprehensive (Comp) coverage to address fire/theft/hail/vandalism, but no Liability or Collision or any other coverage like medical or towing. Then when/if you go NOB and use the car, just call the insurance company and add the missing coverages your wish to have onto the polity.... and when you garage it again at the end of your trip call and take it back to Comp-only overage. I actually do this, to the car(s) we leave behind, when we travel in the winter. My insurance company does ask me 'where is it stored'.... meaning what state/locale I suppose. Just for reference I use Geico.

Back to South Dakota.... another nice thing about getting plates from there for your car in Ajijic is that one doesn't have to get annual emissions and/or safety tests (for a car that is not even in the US). And it's all legit!

(This post was edited by RickS on Aug 15, 2014, 2:44 PM)

YucaLandia

Aug 15, 2014, 8:31 PM

Post #11 of 11 (3359 views)

Shortcut

Rick's narratives are spot-on. A few other details: Insurance companies set their $$ rates based on the specific location where you garage the car. It is helpful to keep a US drivers license, especially as South Dakota is required by law to only issue these SD plates to nomads (with no SD address) when those nomads can prove they do not live in a state bordering SD (in other words, if you are from Neb, Wyo, ND, or Minn, then they cannot give you SD plates).

Like Rick, our drivers licenses are from Colorado, and we garage the cars in Colorado, but because Front Range Colorado requires annual emissions inspections - we simply are not back in Colorado enough to keep up with their emissions schedules.

Your plan should work fine.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4