Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

mcn

Aug 13, 2014, 9:12 AM

Post #1 of 16 (6754 views)

Shortcut

Comprobante de domicilio

Can't Post | Private Reply
I hope this is not too dumb but I am on a tourist visa and I was asked to provide a "comprobante de domicilio" for a course I want to sign up for but the document has to have my name on it. It can't be a third party's. My utility bills are all in the owner's name (I am renting). I am stuck. Can anybody suggest something? Thanks!

YucaLandia

Aug 13, 2014, 9:28 AM

Post #2 of 16 (6746 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mcn] Comprobante de domicilio

Most people and government offices accept a copy of the landlord's CFE bill, as long as you include a letter from the landlord explaining who you are, and certifying that you are living there as their tenant.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

sparks

Aug 13, 2014, 9:51 AM

Post #3 of 16 (6732 views)

Shortcut

.... or Constancia de Residencia

The local municipio offices issue them. Don't know what you need tho, maybe rental contract. Started out at 30 pesos and last was 80 about 5-6 years ago

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

joaquinx

Aug 13, 2014, 10:20 AM

Post #4 of 16 (6719 views)

Shortcut

This could be a simple misunderstanding. Try the CFE bill with the landlord's name first, before doing the letter or going to city hall.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

esperanza

Aug 16, 2014, 11:55 AM

Post #5 of 16 (6560 views)

Shortcut

Generally speaking, a comprobante de domicilio is not actually a proof that you reside in a specific house or apartment, but is rather a proof that the specific house or apartment actually exists. Generally speaking, your name is not required to be on the document you present. YMMV.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

sparks

Aug 16, 2014, 12:40 PM

Post #6 of 16 (6552 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Comprobante de domicilio

INM told me I needed a new one every year. Can't imagine them thinking the house disappeared since the year before

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

viktoremski

Aug 18, 2014, 11:04 AM

Post #7 of 16 (6451 views)

Shortcut

When using water, electric, or gas bills as "comprobante de domicilio" it is important to provide "comprobante de pago" - payment receipt - as well. You make a copy of utility bill together with payment receipt. INM will keep that copy.

sioux4noff

Aug 18, 2014, 12:48 PM

Post #8 of 16 (6437 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viktoremski] Comprobante de domicilio

I've never once been asked for the proof of payment.

esperanza

Aug 18, 2014, 1:56 PM

Post #9 of 16 (6428 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Comprobante de domicilio

In Reply To
INM told me I needed a new one every year. Can't imagine them thinking the house disappeared since the year before

I can't imagine that many INM offices think at all. Most of what they do is by rote. You need a comprobante? Doesn't matter that we already have it on file. Bring it in.

Rolly

Aug 18, 2014, 2:36 PM

Post #10 of 16 (6422 views)

Shortcut

My INM office, staffed by two very nice ladies, always wanted both bank statements and comprobante de domicilio each year.

Rolly Pirate

morgaine7

Aug 18, 2014, 2:45 PM

Post #11 of 16 (6417 views)

Shortcut

Not sure if I mentioned this at the time, but last year with my application for Residente Permanente, the agent didn't want my usual comprobante. Instead she asked me to draw the route from the INM office to my house. I said, "excuse me?" thinking I'd misunderstood, but no ... now, that was a first!

Kate

esperanza

Aug 18, 2014, 6:54 PM

Post #12 of 16 (6387 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Comprobante de domicilio

In Reply To
Not sure if I mentioned this at the time, but last year with my application for Residente Permanente, the agent didn't want my usual comprobante. Instead she asked me to draw the route from the INM office to my house. I said, "excuse me?" thinking I'd misunderstood, but no ... now, that was a first!

Kate

That is INDEED a first, I love it!

joaquinx

Aug 19, 2014, 5:10 AM

Post #13 of 16 (6357 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Kate

My first time and the first renewal of my FM3, I was asked to draw a map of showing my residence on the street and cross streets. They were impressed when I showed them a screen print from Google Maps showing all the streets and several businesses.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

morgaine7

Aug 19, 2014, 7:12 AM

Post #14 of 16 (6332 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Comprobante de domicilio

Hah! I didn't have that option. The agent handed me a pen and paper and made me do it right there at the window. I was happy to be living relatively near INM, rather than in a remote location several hours' drive away, as is the case with some people.

Kate

YucaLandia

Aug 19, 2014, 10:40 AM

Post #15 of 16 (6279 views)

Shortcut

Interesting policy.

For the final step for getting my Residente Permanente, the INM agent asked a curious set of questions: How many cuartos does your house have? What color is your house painted? (White, pastel blue, pastel green, & pastel yellow, plus some creamy-beige.) What color is your neighbor's house? What is your neighbor's name?

I'd love to see the manual that has the instructions to get INM employees ask these curious questions? Maps? House colors?

I asked if the questions were for "recopilación de estadísticas"? "o para prevención del fraude?"

She simply smiled coyly. ... "Message received, no reply."
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

richmx2

Aug 20, 2014, 2:35 PM

Post #16 of 16 (6198 views)

Shortcut

I was asked for the color of my house and a neighborhood landmark (yellow, and the liquor store on the corner). I assume it's just to weed out people who don't really live anywhere, and just borrowed a comprobante from someone. But my name is on my telephone bill, so I use that.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4