Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

fishfrier

Aug 5, 2014, 9:11 PM

Post #1 of 8 (8921 views)

Shortcut

Rosetta

Can't Post | Private Reply
We just got back from having a wonderful meal at Rosetta. Located in Roma at 166 Colima at Orizaba. We live in Merida and as such are lacking in things like good bread.At Rosetta, I would go back just for the fresh bread.
We started with salads. Charlotte had a terrific smoked beet, greens, goat cheese and mint salad. A nice added touch was a beet sorbeta accompaniment. I chose a fennel,citrus and granada salad. Mine was very good but I thought the dressing was a little over powering. Charlotte's was by far the most interesting and adult.
We both had fresh pastas for the main course. Carrot stuffed ravioli with fennel flowers with a light yogurt sauce and paperadelle with chicken liver and sage. Both were excellent. For dessert we had lavender madeleine and lemon ice cream and a strawberry,rhubarb crumble with ginger ice cream. Again both were excellent choices.
With 2 bottles of mineral waters and 2 expressos the bill was a reasonable $875.00 for the quality of food and service.
We will only be the Mexico City for 10 days but intend on going back to Rosetta 1 or 2 more times. It was that good.

esperanza

Aug 6, 2014, 6:59 AM

Post #2 of 8 (8903 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fishfrier] Rosetta

It will interest you to know that the chef/owner at Rosetta, Elena Reygada, was just named best woman chef in Latin America.

If you haven't tried Nicos, at the corner of Av. Cuitláhuac and Calle Clavería, be sure to go. It's chiles en nogada season and theirs are superb. Make reservations! Open 7.30AM to 7.30PM. Phone 5396-7090. I am not connected to the restaurant.

If you feel in the mood for pozole, go to La Casa de Toño. The branch in Zona Rosa, Calle Londres 144, is open 24 hours/day. The pozole is outstanding and the flautas--mmm!

For Oaxacan mole negro that will knock your socks off, Azul/Condesa or Azul/Histórico. The menu is the same in both restaurants. For sheer beauty, Azul/Histórico at Isabel la Católica #30, Centro Histórico, is gorgeous.

For Lebanese food, El Jamil on Av. Amsterdam at the corner of Calle Celaya in Col. La Condesa is excellent.

For a really high-end, blow-out and INCREDIBLE meal, Restaurant JASO at Calle Newton 88 in Col. Polanco is the place. Don't miss the desserts--wow!

Have fun! There are too many restaurants to try. Most of them are so-so, but there are a few great ones.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

fishfrier

Aug 6, 2014, 2:05 PM

Post #3 of 8 (8873 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Rosetta

Thanks for the suggestions. We are staying at the Red Treehouse in Condessa. The place is unbelievably good.

esperanza

Aug 6, 2014, 2:12 PM

Post #4 of 8 (8868 views)

Shortcut

You are a block and a half from my house. :)

Want to have coffee on Thursday morning? I can walk over there...the owners are friends.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Aug 6, 2014, 2:15 PM)

fishfrier

Aug 6, 2014, 2:36 PM

Post #5 of 8 (8861 views)

Shortcut

That would be great. We are usually having breakfast at the hotel at 9 am so anytime around that time or whatever is good for you. We are pretty flexible.

esperanza

Aug 6, 2014, 3:01 PM

Post #6 of 8 (8850 views)

Shortcut

OK, see you there at about 9.30. If you click on the link below, my picture is on the upper right-hand side...so you know who to look for.

esperanza

Aug 7, 2014, 9:50 AM

Post #7 of 8 (8809 views)

Shortcut

It was a real pleasure to meet you both. Next time you plan to come to the DF, let me know and we'll meet again--for a meal someplace great!

fishfrier

Aug 7, 2014, 7:48 PM

Post #8 of 8 (8771 views)

Shortcut

The very same for us. Charlotte will be back, probably shortly. Thanks for the tip about the Bellas Arte tour a 1pm. That was great.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4