Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

John Ferguson

Dec 8, 2002, 9:20 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1044 views)

Shortcut

Aquiles Serdan (Santa Eulalia), just south of Chihuahua

Can't Post |
I will be travelling through Ciudad Chihuahua in about two weeks. I have spent a lot of time there over the years, so I'd like to take the short drive south out to Aquiles Serdan (Santa Eulalia) to see something different.

Does anyone know if Aquiles Serdan has hotels of any kind? If so, any info would be appreciated.

Has anyone visited Aquiles Serdan on a day trip? Would a visit there keep one occupied a few hours--more or less? Any recommended places to grab a bite to eat?

I would be grateful for any responses.

Thanks for a great forum!

keith

Dec 9, 2002, 7:45 AM

Post #2 of 2 (1025 views)

Shortcut

Re: [John Ferguson] Aquiles Serdan (Santa Eulalia), just south of Chihuahua

Can't Post |
I was there for a day trip several years ago (maybe 10 years ago) with Mexican friends. At that time there was a large place serving food (restaurant doesn't quite describe it) that was very poplular with people from Chihuahua. It was in an old colonial building, and featured an all-you-can-eat buffet. It was the first time I'd seen such a thing in Chihuahua. It was a big deal with parking problems, lines, all the things that go with success.

It's a picturesque little mining town where there wasn't any mining anymore. It wasn't planned with cars in mind. Half a dozen cars on the street make for a traffic problem. We walked the tracks of the train that used to carry ore from the mine, and picked up pretty ore samples. There were some shops selling ore and crystal samples and other curios.

I thought it was kind of depressing--a town that had lost its original purpose and hadn't found a new one yet. There were some beautification projects in evidence and some efforts to catering to the day-tripping crowd from Chihuahua. When we were there, the eating place was the only one looking very successful.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4