Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

jayspitzengel

Jul 30, 2014, 11:04 AM

Post #1 of 9 (9989 views)

Shortcut

car permit

Can't Post | Private Reply
We left Mexico 3 years ago and did not plan on going back so we didn't turn in our car permit but things seem to be settling down with the problems there so we were wondering if we can get a permit to drive back with the same car and if not can I go to the Baja instead without a permit. We would rather go to Mazatlan but if we can't get a permit Baja would be our next choice any help I can get would be great. Jay

buffalodon

Jul 30, 2014, 12:02 PM

Post #2 of 9 (9973 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jayspitzengel] car permit

IMHO I think you'd have less problem bringing the same vehicle back than you would with a different one. That proves you did not sell it here, in Mexico, or leave it here either.

If you didn't know how old you were, how old would you think you were?

Rolly

Jul 30, 2014, 12:25 PM

Post #3 of 9 (9968 views)

Shortcut

Re: [buffalodon] car permit

Is the sticker still on the windshield? Do you still have the permit card?
If yes, yes, you will not have a very big problem. If No, go to Baja.

Rolly Pirate

YucaLandia

Jul 30, 2014, 5:00 PM

Post #4 of 9 (9925 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] car permit

if you still have the sticker on the windshield, and the original paper Aduana document that came with the sticker, you could surrender the old temporary import sticker and original permit to Banjercito - and be eligible to get a new sticker - easily. If you have the sticker, but not the paper, then you could file with Aduana at the border to get permission to cancel the old temporary import permit (TIP) - but plan to submit a formal letter in Spanish describing that you lost the original permiso document, also requesting what you be allowed to cancel your old permiso, and plan to sit between 2 - 4 hours as Aduana supervisors process and approve the request - which means (without the paper TIP) you need to arrive at Aduana several hours before their administrative office closes (typically 5 pm closing time). See this for a map of Aduana offices and schedules: ~ Map of Aduanas del Pais

If you have no sticker and no original Aduana TIP - then plan to work for up to a year to cancel the old TIP, or restrict your travels to Baja y Baja Sur.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

jayspitzengel

Jul 30, 2014, 5:47 PM

Post #5 of 9 (9913 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] car permit

thanks for the info I don't have my paperwork and I replaced the windshield when I got back because it did not survive the trip there and back so I guess my best option is to go to Baja. There is no permit required in all of Baja correct. I will miss Mazatlan because of so many friends we have there. But people are great all over Mexico. thanks for the info Jay

RickS

Jul 30, 2014, 7:43 PM

Post #6 of 9 (9897 views)

Shortcut

"There is no permit required in all of Baja correct?"

Correct.

tejolot3

Jul 30, 2014, 8:11 PM

Post #7 of 9 (9893 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I will miss Mazatlan because of so many friends we have there. But people are great all over Mexico. thanks for the info Jay

Just because you cannot drive your own vehicle to Mazatlan, that doesn't mean you can never see your friends again. Take the ferry and use public transport.

buffalodon

Jul 31, 2014, 6:38 AM

Post #8 of 9 (9862 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tejolot3] car permit

Why not try to order a new TIP on line and see what happens. You have nothing to lose and save a ton of time crossing.
There's a post here on the Jalisco forum with some good info. Here's a pdf posted there from A Mexican Lawyer you should read.

http://www.chapalalaw.com/Driving.pdf

If you didn't know how old you were, how old would you think you were?

(This post was edited by RickS on Jul 31, 2014, 6:47 AM)

stanbnv

Aug 1, 2014, 8:53 AM

Post #9 of 9 (9764 views)

Shortcut

If your car is registered in both your and your wifes name or both names are on the title, put the TIP in her name. Works for us on our trailers.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4