Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

jwallacq

Jul 26, 2014, 6:10 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2532 views)

Shortcut

How does the Aduana valuate used merchandise?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can somebody tell me how the Aduana decides the value of old and obviously used items for customs purposes? (When you are driving across the border)

Hypothetical example: A 5 or 10 year old room air conditioner that originally cost $500, but I bought it last year at a garage sale for $50 (with no receipt, obviously). Are they going to try to charge me 15% of $500 or are they going to just accept my word that I paid $50 ??

Detailed explanation: I am planning to drive to southern Mexico this year and spend the entire winter. The tentative list of stuff that I would like to take with me includes: two room air conditioners, a desktop computer (with monitor, scanner and printer), some cooking stuff ( e.g. a smoker, a deep-fat fryer, and a microwave), a small flat-screen TV and a DVD player, a filing cabinet full of papers, several large boxes of books, etc. If this stuff were new it would probably be worth 4 or 5 thousand dollars, but in fact the current market value is probably less than a tenth of that.

Thanks in Advance, John W.

chinagringo

Jul 26, 2014, 6:22 PM

Post #2 of 3 (2524 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwallacq] How does the Aduana valuate used merchandise?

John:

Based on our experience crossing the border, you may be over thinking? Each and every time we have crossed the border headed south, I have told Aduana that the contents of our van was for "our casa in Chapala". Not a single discussion and certainly no money changed hands.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

YucaLandia

Jul 27, 2014, 9:16 AM

Post #3 of 3 (2467 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwallacq] How does the Aduana valuate used merchandise?

Based on comments from decades of friend's moves, our experiences, and comments on our website: Aduana officials tend to ignore our household goods and wave us through, as long as you don't have: lots of tools, lots of electronics, things to start a business, multiple computers, lots of new stuff, or commercial quantities of things. This advice fits for driving across the border in our personal vehicles. Aduana is supposed to value things based on actual value - which is up for dispute. If you contest an overly-high Aduana valuation, Aduana can require written documentation of the actual value.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4