Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Rolly

Jul 25, 2014, 1:10 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2972 views)

Shortcut

An unusual solution to a lack of medical insurance

Can't Post | Private Reply
A young friend of mine (18 years old) has developed a life-threatening condition that needs urgent surgery. The family has no insurance, and the cost of the procedure is way beyond their ability to pay. It's too late to get IMSS coverage, and this type of surgery is not provided by Seguro Popular.

A family friend steps forward with a most remarkable idea. She has IMSS coverage which would include the young man if they were married. WOW They were married a few days ago, and now he is in the local IMSS hospital awaiting his surgery.

It is, of course, a marriage of convenience which will be dissolved after his medical needs are met.

I'm sure some will call this gaming the system. I call it a noble act to save a life.

Rolly Pirate

chinagringo

Jul 25, 2014, 1:21 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2962 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] An unusual solution to a lack of medical insurance

Rolly:

There was a recent story in the NOB news where an elderly couple were getting a divorce to improve their positions in keeping medical insurance. Are they gaming the system or working within the established boundaries?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Teo

Jul 26, 2014, 8:16 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2867 views)

Shortcut

Rather than gaming the system, I would say they are playing by the rules.

La Isla

Jul 26, 2014, 9:31 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2847 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
A young friend of mine (18 years old) has developed a life-threatening condition that needs urgent surgery. The family has no insurance, and the cost of the procedure is way beyond their ability to pay. It's too late to get IMSS coverage, and this type of surgery is not provided by Seguro Popular.

A family friend steps forward with a most remarkable idea. She has IMSS coverage which would include the young man if they were married. WOW They were married a few days ago, and now he is in the local IMSS hospital awaiting his surgery.

It is, of course, a marriage of convenience which will be dissolved after his medical needs are met.

I'm sure some will call this gaming the system. I call it a noble act to save a life.

I agree with you, Rolly. Let us know how things go for this young man. And kudos to the compassion and cleverness of his temporary wife!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4