Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

CozICan

Jul 21, 2014, 9:40 AM

Post #1 of 3 (2663 views)

Shortcut

License Plate Renewal Change

Can't Post | Private Reply
My friends who own a home here on Cozumel, Quintana Roo paid for their Plate renewals for both of their Mexican Vehicles last January but because the office did not receive their palates because the office had not received them yet. When they were here last month they were denied their plates because of a change in the law as of last June that one must have a CURP Number to renew or register a Mexican Vehicle.

We found out that the Immigration Office is now responsible for issuing CURP Numbers to foreigners and that you must have a Temporary of Permanent Resident Card to receive it.

This could affect a lot of Expats who own Mexican Vehicles but come down every winter only on a 180 day Tourist Visa.

Has anyone else experienced this yet ???

CozICan

joaquinx

Jul 21, 2014, 11:13 AM

Post #2 of 3 (2642 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CozICan] License Plate Renewal Change

Time to get a Temporary Resident card.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

morgaine7

Jul 22, 2014, 8:47 AM

Post #3 of 3 (2570 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CozICan] License Plate Renewal Change

In La Paz, Baja California Sur, they wouldn't have been able to register the vehicles to begin with. They'd have needed a Mexican driver's license, which in this state requires at least temporary residence. The CURP requirement started 3-4 years ago, but the DL requirement was already in place when I moved here in 2007.

Kate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4