Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

BearTiger2002

Jul 18, 2014, 5:12 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2985 views)

Shortcut

Bringing dog from Mexico City to Toronto via Air Canada

Can't Post | Private Reply
Need some help in transporting a Mexican dog from San Miguel to Toronto. My biggest concerns are re the airline requirements; I have called Air Canada (has only direct/non-stop flight from MC to Toronto), but have little confidence in the answers I was given by the agent in Canada. So....I am hoping someone out there might have recently made this trip with a dog, say in the last six months.
Plan to travel on September 30, with the dog in baggage/cargo hold on same flight with me. It will have its health certificate, proper/necessary vaccines, etc. Have the proper size carrier, well within the limits of the airline, etc.
How do I make sure that they will allow/accept the dog for transport???? I will not fly otherwise, and would have to find another way home!!!!!
ANY good factual information very gratefully requested.

Aaron+

Jul 19, 2014, 10:18 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2933 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BearTiger2002] Bringing dog from Mexico City to Toronto via Air Canada

Since the AC person with whom you spoke inspired concern, try calling again or visiting AC Live staff.

You can book your pet's flight (on your same flight) up to 30 days in advance, and no later than 5 (business) days prior to the flight. Follow the guidance from AC Live, and you should be ok. Apparently, your dog´s arrival in Mexico City will be at the Swissport Cargo Facility contractors for AC. Check with AC Live as to whether a customs broker in Mexico need be engaged, and, if so, communicate directly with the broker about any further requirements (beyond what AC Live might specify). On boarding your flight, if possible, speak to the pilot to confirm that the crew knows a pet is on board.

Hope you and your pet have a good flight!

TedZar

Jul 19, 2014, 2:12 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2903 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BearTiger2002] Bringing dog from Mexico City to Toronto via Air Canada

It is probably the A/C cargo people at your departure point that you need to deal with. And they are likely the people who can tell you exactly what you need to do and they have probably done it many times before. In this case, pets are cargo and those are the people in the know. I wouldn't bother with the A/C agent on the phone and it is probably best to deal face-to-face with the departure location cargo office if at all possible.

(This post was edited by TedZar on Jul 19, 2014, 2:19 PM)

BearTiger2002

Jul 19, 2014, 7:16 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2870 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Bringing dog from Mexico City to Toronto via Air Canada

Thank you so much, Aaron, for the info. I will make note of it, and try to do an AC Live to get specific info, etc.

What worries me about having to use a customs broker is that the dog (and I, I guess) will have to be in Mexico City the day/night before departure. I will be in San Miguel de Allende, so that is a long 3 - 4 hour trek, and then I'll have to find a hotel in MC for the night, and the dog will be in a small cage/carrier overnight all by himself. Two years ago, none of this was apparently necessary....ie. a friend brought a similar dog back without customs broker and without overnight stay.

Thanks for your good wishes. I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed that it will all work out. mt

BearTiger2002

Jul 19, 2014, 7:23 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2869 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TedZar] Bringing dog from Mexico City to Toronto via Air Canada

Hi, TedZar.....it IS the people in the baggage/cargo area in Mexico City that will be directly handling the dog, BUT there is no way I can deal with them directly, face to face, from Canada. I am making all of my arrangements from home, prior to going to Mexico. Dogs have to be booked ahead of time to ensure they are on your flight. I will have to proceed with the best info. I can get, and hope for the very best, for the sake of this dog.

Appreciate your comments and information. Thanks. mt

(This post was edited by BearTiger2002 on Jul 19, 2014, 7:27 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4