Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

Adios

Jul 11, 2014, 4:26 AM

Post #1 of 14 (14165 views)

Shortcut

Can you find 'anything' in Mexico City ?

Can't Post |
Often times we hear that if you know where to look you can find anything in Mexico City. For those of you living there - is that true ?

For example - let's take food.
- Can you find a genuine corned beef sandwich on rye ?
- How about a roast beef hoagie ?

I'm not talking Subway - but sandwiches like you would get in a NY style deli.

Thanks

Anonimo

Jul 11, 2014, 5:45 AM

Post #2 of 14 (14159 views)

Shortcut

Re: [charlie131120] Can you find 'anything' in Mexico City ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I haven't looked for a corned beef sandwich on rye, but I'm betting it can be had. The real challenge, I think, is finding proper rye bread.

I have had a very good French Dip Sandwich at Macelleria Roma, at Calle Orizaba #127, Colonia Roma. The meat is actually sliced steak, not roast beef, but it works very well.

http://www.belmondoroma.com.mx/.../belmondo/index.html

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Jul 11, 2014, 12:26 PM)

esperanza

Jul 11, 2014, 9:29 AM

Post #3 of 14 (14126 views)

Shortcut

The short answer is 'maybe', although real New York deli-style corned beef on rye is one of those USA expat pot-of-gold-at-the-end-of-the-rainbow persistent searches. In spite of the large Jewish community in Mexico City, what an estadounidense might think of as deli food pretty much doesn't exist here, where the foodways of the Jewish community are very, very different from those of New York. For example, the many Kosher food choices are much more Middle Eastern than Eastern European.

Having said that, there are certain foods we have stumbled across during our three-plus years in the DF--foods we never expected to find in Mexico. Not a roast beef hoagie, but real Hong Kong style dim sum. Not good gyros, but extraordinary tacos arabes. Not Kaiser rolls, but quite adequate baguettes for sandwiches. And not cronuts, but really fine macarons.

There's a Koreatown in Zona Rosa, a Chinatown with a great grocery store that's not in the Centro Histórico, a new hipster gourmet market in Colonia Roma (the hippest, hoppin'-est neighborhood in the city), an excellent Middle Eastern restaurant in Colonia Condesa, and so forth.

Morimoto has a great restaurant here (Hotel Camino Real, Polanco). There's honest-to-god American barbecue in Col. Narvarte. Spice Everywhere (weekend brunch) and Spice Pub (late evenings) offer American comfort food, including chicken and waffles with maple syrup.

So other than that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, what are you hunting?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

La Isla

Jul 11, 2014, 10:49 AM

Post #4 of 14 (14121 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Can you find 'anything' in Mexico City ?

In Reply To
The short answer is 'maybe', although real New York deli-style corned beef on rye is one of those USA expat pot-of-gold-at-the-end-of-the-rainbow persistent searches. In spite of the large Jewish community in Mexico City, what an estadounidense might think of as deli food pretty much doesn't exist here, where the foodways of the Jewish community are very, very different from those of New York. For example, the many Kosher food choices are much more Middle Eastern than Eastern European.

Most likely that's because a good portion of the Mexican Jewish community is of Sephardic rather than Ashkenazi origin.

esperanza

Jul 11, 2014, 11:45 AM

Post #5 of 14 (14110 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Can you find 'anything' in Mexico City ?

In Reply To

In Reply To

Most likely that's because a good portion of the Mexican Jewish community is of Sephardic rather than Ashkenazi origin.

Yup.

Anonimo

Jul 11, 2014, 12:27 PM

Post #6 of 14 (14091 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Can you find 'anything' in Mexico City ?

Parts of my post at Reply#2 don't appear.

The missing part said:
"Belmondo, also in Colonia Roma, at Calle Tabasco # 109, also has French Dip on the menu, but a Reuben, on "pan alcaravea", or caraway bread (not necessarily rye).

We have eaten at Macelleria several times, but not yet at Belmondo.

Undoubtedly, someone who actually lives in Mexico City and is food savvy (I'm thinking of Esperanza), can give you better leads than I.

http://www.belmondoroma.com.mx/.../belmondo/index.html"

Adios

Jul 11, 2014, 2:18 PM

Post #7 of 14 (14079 views)

Shortcut

Can you find 'anything' in Mexico City ?

Can't Post |
How about real Texas brisket ? We are thinking of a trip to Austin in the fall principally to eat (and maybe unload our trailer) . Mexico City is a lot closer than Austin.

esperanza

Jul 11, 2014, 2:33 PM

Post #8 of 14 (14075 views)

Shortcut

Yes, real Texas brisket is here in Mexico City. Here's where:
http://www.pgbbq.mx/

Anónimo, did you see the first post (#3) that I wrote, after your first post? I'm thinking not...

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jul 11, 2014, 2:35 PM)

Rolly

Jul 11, 2014, 2:51 PM

Post #9 of 14 (14071 views)

Shortcut

Even here in Lerdo, we have a Texas-style BBQ place with outstanding ribs and brisket. It's owned by a Texan and operated by his Mexican in-laws.

Rolly Pirate

tashby

Jul 11, 2014, 4:31 PM

Post #10 of 14 (14050 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Can you find 'anything' in Mexico City ?

Why, why....WHY am I looking at this thread???

The PGBBQ site is funny. And looks delicious. And I'm starving now.

joaquinx

Jul 11, 2014, 5:12 PM

Post #11 of 14 (14043 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Anónimo, did you see the first post (#3) that I wrote, after your first post? I'm thinking not...

What! No fried okra! Uncivilized!
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Anonimo

Jul 12, 2014, 7:08 AM

Post #12 of 14 (13986 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Yes, it was a very helpful post. But for some unknown glitch, part of my pos t#2 didn't appear until I reposted it.

Saludos, Anonimo

citlali

Jul 13, 2014, 1:01 PM

Post #13 of 14 (13927 views)

Shortcut

The fact that the Jewish community iin Mexico is mostly Sephardic is nice because their food is a whole lot better in my opinion but that does not help those who are looking for NY Jewish type deli food..

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Jul 13, 2014, 5:50 PM

Post #14 of 14 (13904 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Can you find 'anything' in Mexico City ?

citlali sez:

...that does not help those who are looking for NY Jewish type deli food.

This group claims to have Jewish type deli food, maybe not New York style, but still...

Kurson Kosher Deli Products

They have a store in Polanco and a few others around Edomex, plus they say their products are available in supermarkets like Superama, Sam's Club, Costco, etc.

FWIW,

-- K.H.

The Disciple lamented, "Master! Why is my life beset with problems?!"
The Master observed, "Only tourists step in dog droppings."

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4