Forums  > General > General Forum

YucaLandia

Jul 6, 2014, 7:43 AM

Post #1 of 13 (4095 views)

Shortcut

What is this all about

| Private Reply
Just what are we doing here…

on Mexconnect, ... webboards, ...forums, ...blogging, ...twittering ?

What makes it work?

What makes it fail, ... or descend into bickering and ....

or rise in depth ... and beauty?

steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jul 6, 2014, 10:35 AM)

Gringal

Jul 6, 2014, 8:19 AM

Post #2 of 13 (4076 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] What is this all about

| Private Reply
It works if we act like reasoning adults and think before pressing "send".

Unfortunately, the "breathalizer attachment" isn't in wide usage. It automatically delays the "send" function until the user is deemed sober.

AlanMexicali

Jul 6, 2014, 8:20 AM

Post #3 of 13 (4076 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

on Mexconnect, ... webboards, ...forums, ...blogging, ...twittering ?

What makes it work?

What makes it fail, ... or descend into bickering and ....

or rise in depth ... and beauty?

steve

Fails for several reasons.

IMO opinión some, not all by any means, do not like to be bothered with facts as their minds are already made up about subjects they are seeing from a slanted view. That is where some of the bickering comes from on the 3 Expat boards I read.

It appears some of them resort to name calling to get their point across and use outdated biased reports to try to prove their case from other internet sources without being responsible for their obvious "hasty generalizations" that they claim are the norm about a subject but in reality are weak arguments and logical fallacies.

Some keep repeating these hasty generalizations over time and get little support form others and they omit any facts previously rebuking their claims, I feel this is intellectual dishonesty. IMO

In other words many people get tired of arguing with them and they win, in their own minds. I presume they will be content at that point.

Winning.

Many come to conclusions about a certain subject that is undeniably factual through documentation and accurate reporting. Grey áreas can be sorted out by discussing it and speculations can be graded as more accurate or less accurate by concensus.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Jul 6, 2014, 9:07 AM)

YucaLandia

Jul 6, 2014, 8:52 AM

Post #4 of 13 (4049 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] What is this all about

| Private Reply
Another category of posters/zingers/writers: Those who serve ?

... which leads beyond how we communicate (the mechanics), and beyond what we communicate, to why we communicate...

or do we just love type-vigorously and ... hit ~"SEND" ! .... ~ or ~"Post" !~ *grin*
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jul 6, 2014, 8:53 AM)

chris cooper

Jul 6, 2014, 9:20 AM

Post #5 of 13 (4031 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

or do we just love type-vigorously and ... hit ~"SEND" ! .... ~ or ~"Post" !~ *grin*

I'd say, in your case, you hit the nail on the head.

bournemouth

Jul 6, 2014, 9:53 AM

Post #6 of 13 (4019 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I think some of us - well, certainly one of us - just likes to see his/her words in print.

Gringal

Jul 6, 2014, 9:57 AM

Post #7 of 13 (4015 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chris cooper] What is this all about

| Private Reply
Well said, all.
...and another thing: I went to a writers' group conference with a very intelligent friend who started the rolling eyes and impatient shuffling in the seat because somebody speaking was going on and on without having much of a point to make.
Why waste energy in getting impatient? People who are smart are in the minority and through no doing on their own; just a lucky dip in the gene pool. I couldn't resist pointing that out, and because she had a fine sense of humor, she "got it" and chuckled.

If posters on these boards are both smart and vicious, they eventually get banned (on most boards), so the time for being annoyed with them is usually short.
Since life itself is short, patience is in order.

YucaLandia

Jul 6, 2014, 10:38 AM

Post #8 of 13 (3995 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] What is this all about

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I think some of us - well, certainly one of us - just likes to see his/her words in print.

Did you read Just what are we doing here…?

Most of it is quotes from professional psychologists, linguists, and journalists, on some new ways to view effective writing, and effective communication - rather than the common shoot-from-the-lip style that dominates "modern" communication.
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jul 6, 2014, 10:40 AM)

chris cooper

Jul 6, 2014, 10:55 AM

Post #9 of 13 (3980 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

Did you read Just what are we doing here…?

Most of it is quotes from professional psychologists, linguists, and journalists, on some new ways to view effective writing, and effective communication - rather than the common shoot-from-the-lip style that dominates "modern" communication.

You trolled Chapala.com with the basically the same post under the handle snowyco. I say, what are YOU doing here?

YucaLandia

Jul 6, 2014, 11:02 AM

Post #10 of 13 (3975 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chris cooper] What is this all about

| Private Reply
What trolling are you speaking of?

If you read the Just what are we doing here… piece, as gringal inferred, it describes a different way of approaching writing and communication. (and maybe prompts a bit of self examination for the reader)

I believe it's worth examining what we write, and how we write - with one goal of improving communication - both individually and as a group.

Others seem to be more interested in expressing personal jags ...?
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jul 6, 2014, 11:03 AM)

cbviajero

Jul 6, 2014, 11:12 AM

Post #11 of 13 (3967 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

I don't know if it was trolling,but don't you think it was a bit disingenuous on your part to post on chapala.com that you had "spotted" an "intriguing" topic on Mexconnect when in fact you were the author of it?

chris cooper

Jul 6, 2014, 11:15 AM

Post #12 of 13 (3965 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

Do you mean it isn't you who posted this on Chapala.com:

"Posted Today, 08:54 AM
I spotted this on Mexconnect, and was intrigued.

Are we on Chapala.com: To ask questions? To get answers?
To push our private agendas?
To try to slide thinly veiled political comments past the Moderators?
To advocate for LCS mgmt?
To advocate against LCS mgmt?
To see "what they're squabbling-over, today?"
To enjoy the continuing calming sane efforts of gringal, intercasa, et al ?
To learn something?
To find out the facts?
Killing time?
Filling the hours?
To enjoy feeling a spark,
feeling-alive by being offended by the insights of "special" others?
To enjoy sparking others?

or maybe, to find out what's affecting others, and realize the possible effects on us?

What is it all about?

And then 2 posts later you added:

"As the yucalandia author questions, are we communicating? Well or poorly?

Do people even care? Or do they care, a lot, going to pains to make clear, thorough, carefully crafted or zinging points?

That is behavior generally considered trolling on the internet. If it wasn't you, my apologies.

AlanMexicali

Jul 7, 2014, 10:17 AM

Post #13 of 13 (3812 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] What is this all about

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Well said, all.
...and another thing: I went to a writers' group conference with a very intelligent friend who started the rolling eyes and impatient shuffling in the seat because somebody speaking was going on and on without having much of a point to make.
Why waste energy in getting impatient? People who are smart are in the minority and through no doing on their own; just a lucky dip in the gene pool. I couldn't resist pointing that out, and because she had a fine sense of humor, she "got it" and chuckled.

If posters on these boards are both smart and vicious, they eventually get banned (on most boards), so the time for being annoyed with them is usually short.
Since life itself is short, patience is in order.

Being a reader I find some posters on another board do not articulate their comments and seem to forget an opinión on a subject is objective rather than subjective. It is the same ones doing this constantly. They forget to add clarifying words and phrases that reference it is their opinión, not a fact and not universal and not constant.

Like; "maybe", "possibly", "some", "not all", "in some cases", "probably", " a certain percentage", "a few", "many", "most", "sometimes" "at times", "in some places", "occasionally"," last year", "ten years ago", "here", "there", etc.

They appear not to know what writing a comment involves.

Then there are the one line comments that usually say nothing but they seem to add simply to stir the pot.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Jul 7, 2014, 10:27 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4