johanson / Moderator

Jun 25, 2014, 3:09 PM

Post #1 of 15 (17021 views)

Shortcut

Just checking

Can't Post | Private Reply
Just checking my IP # while using a VPN called tunnelbear

It says that IP: 198.144.157.41 assigned to me is from North York, Ontario
Per Wikipedia "North York is a former municipality within the current city of Toronto, Ontario"

(This post was edited by johanson on Jun 25, 2014, 3:14 PM)

johanson / Moderator

Jun 25, 2014, 4:26 PM

Post #2 of 15 (17005 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Just checking

I should explain. When I am in Canada and want to go to my Shaw account, no problem. But when I am in some other country I use a VPN which makes it look as if I am posting from Canada and not the US, Mexico, or Timbuktu.
I probably don't need to but I do that just in case the receiver wants me to be in some specific country when sending same,

YucaLandia

Jul 2, 2014, 7:51 PM

Post #3 of 15 (16876 views)

Shortcut

Pete,
How do you like tunnelbear?

Much speed loss? Any unwanted programs, adware, or other gunk slipped in by using tunnelbear?

Other reports on it have sounded good,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

johanson / Moderator

Jul 3, 2014, 6:46 AM

Post #4 of 15 (16862 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Just checking

I don't use it very much, but the few times I have done speed tests the speed was down but in my case I am usually streaming music or trying to look like I'm up north when going to a webpage.
The folks in the local computer club (lake Chapala) seem to find it the less of all evils, and seem to have less problems with Tunnelbear than with others. The nice thing is you can try them out for free 500 Megs per month for free.

mazbeach

Jul 3, 2014, 8:01 AM

Post #5 of 15 (16855 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Just checking

Maybe take a look at StrongVPN. We've used them for several months and have had no ads or slowdowns. Their tech support is on the money if you need them. One subscription is good for everything (pc, phone, tablets) so long as you connect to only one thing at a time. It costs $21usd per quarter and has been worth it to us. We primarily use it to look like we're up north or to provide an encrypted level of security when going to financial sites.

buffalodon

Jul 4, 2014, 8:29 AM

Post #6 of 15 (16820 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] Just checking

After seeing TunnelBear here I investigated it before trying. After checking all the reviews I decided to try the free version. I am VERY impressed. No obvious slowing of browsing, and absolutely no popups. It's on, or off, that simple. I have been looking for a VPN service for a long, long time. I'm glad I waited. The FREE version is forever, not a limited day trial like all the others. That's impressive alone. www.tunnelbear.com
Happy surfing.
Oh, I use Windows 7 and Mozilla.
If you didn't know how old you were, how old would you think you were?

buffalodon

Jul 4, 2014, 8:41 AM

Post #7 of 15 (16819 views)

Shortcut

Re: [buffalodon] Just checking

BTW, I am using the free version and signed up to Twitter. Promo them there and the free time every month is tripled. That's enough VPN surfing for my needs.

If you didn't know how old you were, how old would you think you were?

johanson / Moderator

Sep 17, 2014, 8:18 PM

Post #8 of 15 (15857 views)

Shortcut

Re: [buffalodon] Just checking

Just checking again

Today I am at IP: 75.172.127.128 using a very slow ADSL connection with Century Link here in a condo in downtown Seattle with the fastest service they can offer me, or so they said. Really, it's only up to 2 down by let me check

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3768217640]
I've got much better service with Telmex ADSL in Ajijic, Chapala, Jalisco

(This post was edited by johanson on Sep 17, 2014, 8:27 PM)

chinagringo

Sep 17, 2014, 8:40 PM

Post #9 of 15 (15846 views)

Shortcut

Too bad they put so much money into the naming rights for Century Link Field instead of their infrastructure!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

johanson / Moderator

Oct 24, 2014, 5:03 PM

Post #10 of 15 (15468 views)

Shortcut

I am now trying a new VPN, Ipvanish. $10 for one month. Somewhat less when paying for longer periods.

Edit: I have had several minor problems, all mine, not quite knowing how my VPN program works, because I didn't read the directions. Would I recommend Ipvanish? It's OK so far but doesn't seem to be rated anywhere by Computer Magazine or anywhere else. What I like about it is that I can choose cities within the country chosen. Now I don't really know how important it is when checking with my satellite TV provider from up north to show not only the correct country but city as well but www.Ipvanish.com lets me do that and Oh some of the sites used by Ipvanish give me great speeds, others terrible speeds.
What's the problem? It just may be me, not understanding everything yet. Time will tell.
If anyone else has any recommended VPN's that allows me to choose various cities in the country I'm choosing to show that I am in, I would appreciate your suggestions

(This post was edited by johanson on Oct 24, 2014, 5:36 PM)

roberb7

Oct 25, 2014, 7:34 AM

Post #11 of 15 (15439 views)

Shortcut

Boxpn has these servers in Canada and the US:

• Canada, Montreal(10 Servers)
  • Canada, Toronto(22 Servers)
  • Canada, Vancouver (5 Servers)

• United States, Atlanta (6 Servers)
  • United States, Chicago (7 Servers)
  • United States, Dallas (5 Servers)
  • United States, Los Angeles A (7 Servers)
  • United States, Los Angeles B (5 Servers)
  • United States, Miami (5 Servers)
  • United States, New York - Manhattan (13)
  • United States, New York - New Jersey (5)
  • United States, Phoenix (5 Servers)
  • United States, San Jose (7 Servers)
  • United States, St. Louis (6 Servers)
  • United States, Washington DC (5 Servers)

I've been using it for 1 1/2 years. The only problem I have with it is, Hulu locks it out. Does Hulu know about Ipvanish?

johanson / Moderator

Oct 25, 2014, 9:06 AM

Post #12 of 15 (15429 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roberb7] Just checking

Sorry Robert, but I don't know about Hulu or any streaming device other than my iPhone where I had no problem streaming a few radio stations from the US that I couldn't, using my normal internet connection

johanson / Moderator

Oct 25, 2014, 4:13 PM

Post #13 of 15 (15407 views)

Shortcut

Well at the suggestion of a poster, I went to a Hulu link using this VPN and attempted to connect to Hulu. Everything went well until I went to a final link provided by a poster and I failed. Hulu suggested that I appear to be using a VPN and that if I am really in the US that I should disable this VPN.

Oh well I tried. As you can see. I am learning but not an expert about the subject of VPNs. Thank God I am a satellite junky. In fact some have suggested I have a Satellite dish Farm, which is probably true. I have five. Starting with a smaller elliptical dish (26.5 by 36.5 inches) a 4 foot , 6 foot,& 8 foot offset dish and a 12 foot Ku standard satellite dish, not all of which are connected. But I have plenty of TV, much more than I need.

johanson / Moderator

Nov 11, 2014, 3:05 PM

Post #14 of 15 (15245 views)

Shortcut

I'm trying a VPN its called IPVanish and has IPs located all over the world. I mentioned it above. What I have been having a problem with and it's been my fault that after turning my VPN off, that my last connection sometimes remained where I had been connected, like in Spain. I just rebooted and will see what my IP location is.

EDIT: Well that was a waste of time :) I had gotten rid of any false IP #s using my several VPNs. The problem was that when I went to Google and looked at a Map showing where my IP supposedly was, it incorrectly showed Mexico City. After a little checking I found that my IP address was correctly located near Guadalajara and was the same on other computers connected to the same router and not using a VPN.

Further proof is I'm getting my normal wireless speeds

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3902208292]

If I had connected via cable my readings would been just over ten by 0.8+

When using a VPN ones speed can be slightly to greatly decreased depending on locations chosen

Well as soon as my one month $10 trial period is up, I shall try Robert's suggested VPN

(This post was edited by johanson on Nov 11, 2014, 3:44 PM)

tracyleon

Mar 18, 2015, 3:16 AM

Post #15 of 15 (13890 views)

Shortcut

Try Ipvanish or Purevpn i am sure you will love these tools. I am using in us to access uk ip and result is awesome. find out yourself i hope you will like it.
http://www.vpnranks.com/5-best-vpns-for-uk/

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4