Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

eyePad

Jun 22, 2014, 12:47 PM

Post #1 of 9 (4312 views)

Shortcut

Dual citizenship - name issue

Can't Post | Private Reply
My wife just got her US citizenship so she is now dual Mexican - US. My question is about air travel. Her Mexican passport has her Mexican birth name which does not match her married name on her US passport. So it seems like using the rule that in Mexico she is Mexican and in the US she is American results in a little issue. When travelling by air one of the passports will not match the name on the airline ticket. In the past I never really worried about such things and I think what saved me was the Mexicans who were at the airports didn't really mind such details. Now that there are official documents with this issue I'm not so sure. Am I worrying about nothing? How do you handle this?

Aaron+

Jun 22, 2014, 2:18 PM

Post #2 of 9 (4289 views)

Shortcut

Re: [eyePad] Dual citizenship - name issue

Beca uase the USG arrogantly assumes everyone should follow its "security rules, the airlines need for the name on the ticket to match the name reported to the USA for travelers, my wife, in the same situation, uses her married name as it was/is in the USA for the airline ticket, enters her US passport number in her online profile with the airline, presents her US passport to the airline ticket counter and to the U.S. immigration officer. On departing Mexico be sure to fill out and present a completed FMM as a Mexican citizen to Mexican immigration. On returning to Mexico, she presents her Mexican passport and stamped stub of the FMM to Mexican immigration.

Given that most airlines apparently no longer provide and discount for flying round trip, one could buy the wife's ticket going to the USA in the USA passport name, and the Mexican passport name for the return to Mexico. Perhaps returning to Mexico as a Mexican would enable one to avoid paying Mexican tourist tax on her return ticket.

Sounds awkward, but you quickly get used to the process. Keeps the bureaucrats off your neck.

eyePad

Jun 26, 2014, 7:40 PM

Post #3 of 9 (4157 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Dual citizenship - name issue

Unfortunately, buying two one-way tickets is not a good solution. I thought maybe someone on this forum would already have experienced this issue and have some kind of solution.

(This post was edited by eyePad on Jun 26, 2014, 7:42 PM)

jreboll

Jun 27, 2014, 7:36 AM

Post #4 of 9 (4116 views)

Shortcut

My wife has the same issue so she usually carries her wedding certificate with her.

eyePad

Jun 27, 2014, 10:57 AM

Post #5 of 9 (4086 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] Dual citizenship - name issue

Hi jreboll, I'm not sure I understand. Wedding certificate has both names? Is that what you mean? IF that is the case, what about when the ticketed name doesn't match the passport name, or am I not following? I know that generally speaking Mexico is more lax for travel documents than Europe but I'm just worried about this possibility happening in Mexico.

jreboll

Jun 27, 2014, 11:02 AM

Post #6 of 9 (4081 views)

Shortcut

Wedding certificate has both, husband's and hers. Her Mexican passport has hers only so she can prove she has both names legally.

citlali

Jul 1, 2014, 6:36 AM

Post #7 of 9 (3986 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] Dual citizenship - name issue

I have the same issue and I have a constancia from the French consulate written in Spanish certifying that I go under both names

eyePad

Jul 11, 2014, 7:04 PM

Post #8 of 9 (3788 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Dual citizenship - name issue

Citlali, that seems like the 'airtight' way to handle this, very smart. I'm not sure we need to do that but it's good to know about it. It doesn't seem like its ever a problem going to/from Mexico but one never knows. On the other hand, it HAS been a major problem travelling to Europe which got me to worrying.

citlali

Jul 12, 2014, 5:50 AM

Post #9 of 9 (3753 views)

Shortcut

I had to do the consulate paper for SRE but I never had a problem in Europe but then I have a French passport with my maiden name with a mention I am married to a...so wether I use my maiden name or my husband´s name or something in between has not been a problem.
Just get a paper from a notary with the your wife various name and you should not have a problem in Europe.(Get it translated in English as well..

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4