Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

PianoTim

Dec 7, 2002, 11:58 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1499 views)

Shortcut

Driving Mexican Car into USA

Can't Post |
I am a US citizen but have a car with Mexican plates. Does anyone have information on what I will need to cross the border to the USA and what I can expect at the crossing? Suggestions of US insurance companies.

I'm driving from Guadalajara and crossing at Laredo. Any suggestions "along the way"?

Thanks

lucy

Dec 8, 2002, 8:07 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1438 views)

Shortcut

Re: [PianoTim] Driving Mexican Car into USA

Can't Post |
You can purchase US insurance for 30 days or more in Ajijic or Guadalajara. Make sure you have all registration papers with you. Your FM 2 or 3 is a good thing to take. Nothing else is needed. The interesting thing is most people will think your car is registered in New Mexico. Guess that's why New Mexico puts USA on their plates.. have a safe trip.

esperanza

Dec 8, 2002, 9:00 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1417 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post | Private Reply
It's less expensive to purchase your USA insurance in Laredo, soon after you cross the border...there's an Exxon station there, just off the highway, that sells it by the day, week, month, etc.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

franzenz

Dec 13, 2002, 1:06 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1361 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Tim:

Have you driven into the United States yet? Would love to hear about your trip. I want to drive Acapulco from New Jersey. Anyone that has any recommendations I would appreciated a post.

Thanks,

Brent

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4