Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

theboom

Jun 16, 2014, 11:18 AM

Post #1 of 22 (16057 views)

Shortcut

Guadalajara apartment rent prices

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi, I've lived in Mexico for almost a year and am going to move in August. I haven't checked out Guadalajara yet but am looking to put it on my list because people keep saying it fits what I'm looking for in a new place.

Do any of you know the rental costs in Guadalajara or a good source for getting them? I find online ones tend to be on the high side. Also, I find that numbeo has Guadalajara rents being very low. Expatistan has them as being very high.

Specifics:
- 1 or 2 bedroom
- doesn't have to be cavernous but don't want to be claustrophobic either. Some breathing space and stretching room.
- clean, quiet, good condition
- furnished. Doesn't need to be grand by nice and comfortable
- safe neighborhood

I keep hearing about these areas: la Barranca, Tlaquepaque, Zapopan and Tonalá.

Another way of looking at this is what can you get for 6K pesos or (preferably) less per month?

Thanks

rvgringo

Jun 16, 2014, 12:09 PM

Post #2 of 22 (16039 views)

Shortcut

Re: [theboom] Guadalajara apartment rent prices

You are asking a much too broad question, covering multiple cities in addition to Guadalajara. Once you narrow your sights, you will be able to find something for that price if you walk the neighborhoods you are attracted to and chat up the locals, while keeping your eyes peeled for Se Renta signs in the windows, etc.

theboom

Jun 16, 2014, 1:08 PM

Post #3 of 22 (16032 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Guadalajara apartment rent prices

I was told those are all neighborhoods in the city itself. What I'm looking for is central Guadalajara.

La Isla

Jun 16, 2014, 1:38 PM

Post #4 of 22 (16024 views)

Shortcut

Tlaquepaque, Tonalá and Zapopan are not located in Guadalajara proper, but are more like satellite towns in the general Guadalajara metropolitan area.

theboom

Jun 16, 2014, 1:48 PM

Post #5 of 22 (16019 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Guadalajara apartment rent prices

I need to prioritize my time in Guadalajara checking it out. Do you think it is better to live inside the central city or in these satellite towns? Do they have easy access to the main areas? Thanks

rvgringo

Jun 16, 2014, 1:49 PM

Post #6 of 22 (16019 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I was told those are all neighborhoods in the city itself. What I'm looking for is central Guadalajara.

Rolly says: Once again that damn useless quote function failed.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jun 16, 2014, 2:11 PM)

esperanza

Jun 16, 2014, 4:21 PM

Post #7 of 22 (15995 views)

Shortcut

I lived in Guadalajara for several years, although I currently live in Mexico City. Here is what I think:
--You will love living close to the Centro Histórico.
--You will probably not love living in Tlaquepaque; it's fun and tourist-y, but too far from anything cultural like theater, concerts, museums, restaurants, etc.
--Zapopan is an integral part of Guadalajara (it surrounds the city in the shape of a 'C') and it's hard to tell where the city stops and Zapopan starts. The parts of Zapopan that are closer to Guadalajara's central part are wonderful.
--The best place to look for rentals (other than on foot) is by searching the classified ads in the daily GDL newspaper El Informador. Here's the link: http://aviso.informador.com.mx/bienes-raices/. That link asks you to use the dropdown menu to find the KIND of apartment or house you want. The dropdown menu below that asks for the colonia you want to search. My suggestions would be Vallarta San Jorge, Chapalita by any of its names (you'll see what I mean in the list), Americana, Libertad, Sta. Teresita, and Providencia). When you get done searching those colonias, post again if you haven't found what you're looking for and I'll tell you some other names of colonias that are close to Centro.
--You get what you pay for. My wonderful house in Guadalajara (on a tree-lined street in Col. Vallarta San Jorge, 10 minutes from the Cathedral and just four blocks from the Glorieta Minerva) had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, decent kitchen, separate dining room, separate living room, enclosed parking, and a small garden. It was unfurnished. I paid $500/month plus utilities, but I feel certain that rents have gone up since I left.
--It is highly unlikely that you will find a furnished house or apartment in Guadalajara.

Good luck!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jun 16, 2014, 4:25 PM)

theboom

Jun 16, 2014, 4:39 PM

Post #8 of 22 (15982 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Guadalajara apartment rent prices

In Reply To
I lived in Guadalajara for several years, although I currently live in Mexico City. Here is what I think:

--You will probably not love living in Tlaquepaque; it's fun and tourist-y, but too far from anything cultural like theater, concerts, museums, restaurants, etc.
--Zapopan is an integral part of Guadalajara (it surrounds the city in the shape of a 'C') and it's hard to tell where the city stops and Zapopan starts. The parts of Zapopan that are closer to Guadalajara's central part are wonderful.

Thank you for all the info. How long does it take to get from Tlaquepaque to centro? I've found a few serviced apartments there that might provide a decent base to start out in while finding something longer term.

I've been told that Zapopan is hard to navigate by foot. Is that your experience? I'm a walker.

How bad did you find the inversion problem (pollution) in the winter? I know some people who loved Guadalajara but moved because it got to them. Others tell me it isn't too bad.

Thanks again.

PS. which have you enjoyed living in more - DF or Guadalajara?

(This post was edited by theboom on Jun 16, 2014, 4:40 PM)

esperanza

Jun 16, 2014, 4:45 PM

Post #9 of 22 (15980 views)

Shortcut

Getting from place to place in the ZMG (Zona Metropolitana de Guadalajara, which includes Tlaquepaque) always depends on the hour of the day you're out and about, the mode of transportation you're using, and the traffic. To get from GDL's Centro Histórico to the Parián (center of Tlaqupaque) might take 15 minutes by car during a slow traffic time. It could take an hour, if you're in a car and the traffic is heavy. It could easily take an hour by bus. It could take a much longer time on foot.

Zapopan is enormous. You couldn't possibly walk it all. On the other hand, if you chose to look for a place near the Basílica of Our Lady of Zapopan, you could easily walk to everything you needed in the old town.

The inversion--winter air pollution in Guadalajara--is the worst in Mexico. In fact, I recently looked up statistics for the 100 worst-polluted cities on the planet and GDL is #18. Mexico City isn't on the 100-worst list at all, it's been substantially cleaned up.

I prefer living in the DF to living in Guadalajara, although my first preference is Morelia, Michoacán.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jun 16, 2014, 4:47 PM)

theboom

Jun 16, 2014, 4:55 PM

Post #10 of 22 (15969 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I prefer living in the DF to living in Guadalajara, although my first preference is Morelia, Michoacán.

An hour is quite a while by bus. I tend to get a little stir crazy after 40 minutes. Why Morelia?

Thanks again

esperanza

Jun 16, 2014, 5:17 PM

Post #11 of 22 (15961 views)

Shortcut

Why Morelia:
--physical beauty of the city and its surrounding area
--many close friends
--small city (1,000,000 population)
--enough cultural events
--ability to do my work (I am a food writer and culinary tour guide specializing in the state of Michoacán)
--relatively low cost of living. For rental costs, look at http://www.vivanuncios.com.mx. Click on Michoacán, then look at Morelia in the drop-down menu of cities.

Why not Morelia:
--narco influence in the whole state of Michoacán
--the horror stories of narco violence my wife and I lived with on our upscale Morelia street and in our colonia de lujo
--current inability to pueblear (go out to the small towns I love) due to narco situation

In that link to Vivanuncios, you can also click on Jalisco and take a look at Guadalajara.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jun 16, 2014, 5:20 PM)

theboom

Jun 16, 2014, 6:16 PM

Post #12 of 22 (15947 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Why not Morelia:
--narco influence in the whole state of Michoacán
--the horror stories of narco violence my wife and I lived with on our upscale Morelia street and in our colonia de lujo
--current inability to pueblear (go out to the small towns I love) due to narco situation

I keep reading about Michoacan itself being a failed state due to the narcos. It sounds then like you saw the impact of narcos first hand. Given all that do the pros really outweigh the cons?

esperanza

Jun 16, 2014, 8:03 PM

Post #13 of 22 (15922 views)

Shortcut

For me, yes.

theboom

Jun 16, 2014, 8:06 PM

Post #14 of 22 (15919 views)

Shortcut

You've been very helpful. thanks

gsherwin

Jun 27, 2014, 7:36 AM

Post #15 of 22 (15732 views)

Shortcut

I have lived in Centro Guadalajara for four years. I could spit and hit Teatro Degollado. I feel safe. My rent for a comfortable, mexican style two bedroom furnished apartment is 5,000 pesos per month. Good luck with your move...
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Sea usted mismo, los demás ya está tomada.
Oscar Wilde

theboom

Jun 27, 2014, 7:51 AM

Post #16 of 22 (15724 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gsherwin] Guadalajara apartment rent prices

Gsherwin, thanks for the details. Is it much more for a more American or International style apartment?

gsherwin

Jun 27, 2014, 7:54 AM

Post #17 of 22 (15723 views)

Shortcut

I have a friend living near Calle Chapultapec. When I am in his apartment, I could be in San Diego for all I know. He pays 9,000 pesos.
Oscar Wilde

theboom

Jun 27, 2014, 7:59 AM

Post #18 of 22 (15717 views)

Shortcut

Thanks again

Yacatecuhtli

Jun 27, 2014, 11:44 AM

Post #19 of 22 (15683 views)

Shortcut

Hi I am wondering if his place near Chapultepec is furnished and includes appliances for $9000 a month and if you can drink the tap water at his place like in San Diego ?

! Al pan, pan y al vino, vino !

gsherwin

Jun 29, 2014, 8:01 AM

Post #20 of 22 (15621 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Yacatecuhtli] Guadalajara apartment rent prices

The apartment near Chapultepec has filtered water. The occupant chooses to purchase bottled water. The apartment is furnished and has a doorman. On the other hand, my Mexican style apartment has lovely high ceilings and a laundry room (I had to buy my own washer and dryer). Chapultepec has an elevator and a lovely view. I have a wonderful terrace filled with plants. Different strokes for different folks...
Oscar Wilde

(This post was edited by gsherwin on Jun 29, 2014, 8:07 AM)

wbstut

Jul 31, 2014, 6:02 PM

Post #21 of 22 (15099 views)

Shortcut

There is a website with information about apartments in Tlaquepaque. It gives you several websites where you can look for furnished apartments.

Tlaquepaque apartment
Just to give you an idea.

Wouter
Learn Spanish in Mexico

(This post was edited by wbstut on Jul 31, 2014, 6:06 PM)

chinagringo

Jul 31, 2014, 6:25 PM

Post #22 of 22 (15092 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wbstut] Guadalajara apartment rent prices

We have stayed at both Plaza de Artesanias and Olivia's. Both are operated by nice folks but to their credit, they are booked fairly solid for the next year.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4