Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Drjohnl

Jun 11, 2014, 8:57 AM

Post #1 of 16 (9335 views)

Shortcut

Laredo, Texas to Puerto Vallarta, Nayarit via Torreon and Durango

Can't Post | Private Reply
Most driving routes Laredo to PV show a Guadalajara path. With the new Durango-Mazatlan cuota is Laredo-Saltillo-Torreon-Durango-Mazatlan and then down the coast a safe and good route to follow? We are actually going not to PV but to San Francisco (San Pancho), Nayarit, in late November 2014.

Many thanks for any help on this.

Rolly

Jun 11, 2014, 10:03 AM

Post #2 of 16 (9315 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Drjohnl] Laredo, Texas to Puerto Vallarta, Nayarit via Torreon and Durango

I would take that route. The drive to Durango across the desert is not very interesting, but the Durango-Mazatlan drive is one of the most spectacular in all of México.

Rolly Pirate

Drjohnl

Jun 11, 2014, 2:05 PM

Post #3 of 16 (9294 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Laredo, Texas to Puerto Vallarta, Nayarit via Torreon and Durango

I am so happy to hear from you Rolly and appreciate your advice. I purchased your book with the two women from San Miguel de Allende a couple weeks ago and found it very helpful. I have also consulted your web site which has so much good information.

As Lerdo is close to Torreon, could you tell me if it is easy to get around it on 40D and also safe? I have been getting conflicting suggestions.

Could you recommend a hotel which will allow a dog to stay overnight on our journey?

Many thanks for your help.

hunteradvisor

Jun 12, 2014, 5:13 AM

Post #4 of 16 (9244 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Drjohnl] Laredo, Texas to Puerto Vallarta, Nayarit via Torreon and Durango

San Pancho is only an hour north of PV so that route still works. Keep in mind there is not a Good place to stay in Saltillo and Zacatecas/Aguascalientes is not so safe.
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

darrellk

Jun 12, 2014, 6:07 AM

Post #5 of 16 (9240 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunteradvisor] Laredo, Texas to Puerto Vallarta, Nayarit via Torreon and Durango

Aguas is safe, the problems are in Zac. I've been all over Aguas for the last month and everything has been fine.

BillyD

Aug 7, 2014, 6:42 PM

Post #6 of 16 (8546 views)

Shortcut

Rolly or Anyone who can help me:

Am driving to Mazatlan thru Laredo in September.
Have already done vehicle paperwork online and got the decal...

Is there an immigration office at the 26km checkpoint or do I have to get my "tourist card" at the port of entry ????

Anyone's help with this inquiry would be greatly appreciated.....TNX

Billy

Altahabana

Aug 8, 2014, 4:30 AM

Post #7 of 16 (8517 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BillyD] Laredo, Texas to Puerto Vallarta, Nayarit via Torreon and Durango

You cannot get the FMM at the interior Aduanas checkpoint. You get the FMM in Nuevo Laredo.

There are two offices---one is in the main CIITEV facility between the two bridges where the vehicle permits are issued. There is a smaller office at Bridge I (the old bridge) which is in the building alongside Aduanas.

BillyD

Aug 8, 2014, 9:38 AM

Post #8 of 16 (8474 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Laredo, Texas to Puerto Vallarta, Nayarit via Torreon and Durango

Thank you... That is very helpful information.

One more question..... How many pesos do I need for toll road fees along the way to Mazatlan ??
Better yet... How much MX money should I travel with for this trip ??

playaboy

Aug 8, 2014, 9:59 AM

Post #9 of 16 (8468 views)

Shortcut

Nobody is taking dollars anymore. You will need to pay for everything with pesos or plastic. How much depends on where you stay, what you eat, how much fuel you drink, tolls, etc.

RickS

Aug 8, 2014, 11:05 AM

Post #10 of 16 (8456 views)

Shortcut

Cost, in tolls and fuel, depend on your route. Are you driving through Gualalajara or through Durango.
Since the new toll road between Durango and Mazatlan is finished, I would go that way for the new 'Devil's Backbone' bridge and road alone... not to mention that is is about 300 miles shorter.

Altahabana

Aug 8, 2014, 12:10 PM

Post #11 of 16 (8442 views)

Shortcut

With the completion of the cuota from Durango to the outskirts of Mazatlan, you can take toll roads almost all of the way from Nuevo Laredo to Mazatlan. Rutas Punto a Punto---a valuable resource---shows the toll cost right at $ 1400.

http://aplicaciones4.sct.gob.mx/...action=cmdEscogeRuta

(This post was edited by RickS on Aug 8, 2014, 5:10 PM)

safaricombi

Aug 9, 2014, 5:07 PM

Post #12 of 16 (8369 views)

Shortcut

Hi. Would the route mentioned: Laredo-Saltillo-Torreon-Durango-Mazatlán route, then down to Vallarta be a good option with a truck & trailer? It seems pretty long

RickS

Aug 9, 2014, 9:31 PM

Post #13 of 16 (8339 views)

Shortcut

Re: [safaricombi] Laredo, Texas to Puerto Vallarta, Nayarit via Torreon and Durango

It's pretty much the same distance either way and mostly toll roads.

I don't know if anyone here can address the 'new' toll road from Durango down to Mazatlan with respect to pulling a trailer (quite an elevation drop and probably still very curvey but not like the old Devil's Backbone 2-lane). And then there would be the short but twisty section of 2 lane from Tepic down to Compostela.

Conversely taking the Guadalajara route, one must cross Guad. east to west with the trailer. Normally the 'best' route is now straight through town on Lazaro Cardenas instead of taking the Periferico. I'd probably still take the town route even with a trailer.

sioux4noff

Aug 9, 2014, 9:31 PM

Post #14 of 16 (8339 views)

Shortcut

Re: [safaricombi] Laredo, Texas to Puerto Vallarta, Nayarit via Torreon and Durango

We have taken the route Nuevo Laredo past Monterey and Saltillo, through Matehuala, around San Luis Potosi, Lagos de Moreno, Guadalajara and through Ameco to Puerto Vallarta.
As we started in Waco, TX, we spent the first night in Saltillo, the second night in the Guadalajara area so as to be travelling the last curvy mountainous section before Puerto Vallarta early-ish in the day.

RickS

Aug 9, 2014, 9:40 PM

Post #15 of 16 (8337 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Laredo, Texas to Puerto Vallarta, Nayarit via Torreon and Durango

While the Ameca route is shorter (distance-wise) from Guadalajara to PV, it is two lane and sometimes narrow and as you say, mountainous. Safaricombi is pulling some kind of trailer and that route may not be the best. I'd probably opt to take the cuota out towards Tepic. Even that route has hiway 200 to contend with so neither is perfect.

(This post was edited by RickS on Aug 9, 2014, 9:41 PM)

sioux4noff

Aug 9, 2014, 9:50 PM

Post #16 of 16 (8335 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Laredo, Texas to Puerto Vallarta, Nayarit via Torreon and Durango

Having traveled both routes recently, I still would recommend the Ameca route. There is substantially less traffic, and virtually no large trucks or buses.
Last weekend, returning to Puerto Vallarta on the bus, we saw a lineup of about 100 vehicles behind a couple slooooow moving trucks on Hwy 200. In other spots, we saw lineups of dozens of vehicles.
Even allowing for a slower driving pace, the lesser amount of traffic though Ameca makes it my choice. Just wait for the topes between Las Palmas and Puerto Vallarta. They are better marked than in the past, but just be on the lookout!

(This post was edited by RickS on Aug 10, 2014, 6:23 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4