Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

hunteradvisor

Jun 10, 2014, 8:27 PM

Post #1 of 19 (6956 views)

Shortcut

Collision Auto Insurance

Can't Post | Private Reply
Has anyone been able to acquire comp/collision (not just liability) on their Mexican registered and plated car while driving in the US? We will be 90 days driving a nationalized truck in CA and I cannot find comp & collision anywhere.
Thanks in advance
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

jwp_007

Jun 26, 2014, 11:45 AM

Post #2 of 19 (6758 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunteradvisor] Collision Auto Insurance

Try this link - from Aug. 2013 on the Living, Working, retiring forum

http://www.mexconnect.com/...S_%26_Canada_P193321

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jun 26, 2014, 12:42 PM)

Mexsurf

Sep 24, 2014, 6:49 PM

Post #3 of 19 (5819 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunteradvisor] Collision Auto Insurance

WARNING!
Be very careful with your insurance.
Our story:
My wife, our daughter and myself were on a mission trip in Ensenada on the Labor Day weekend. Returning on Sunday afternoon, in Tijuana, we were hit from behind by a local girl. We all pulled over and she called her insurance company (QUALITAS INSURANCE). We were advised by the insurance company not to call the police because they would want money.
So, an adjuster from QUALITAS came to the accident scene and made a report. Fortunately, the insurance that we had purchased before entering Mexico was also from QUALITAS INSURANCE.
When we returned home in L.A. I took our car to the body shop and had them email the estimate to QUALITAS INSURANCE. Replacing rear bumper, rear left tail light, rear tailgate door (station wagon), paint. Estimate $2210.00 +/-. After three weeks of inquiries, we received an email from QUALITAS INSURANCE stating that prices are higher in the U.S. and they were only going to pay $344.41. YES! Three Hundred Forty One Dollars.
This is still ongoing, but I thought that I should warn as many visitors as possible. Hope this helps

Moisheh

Sep 27, 2014, 2:58 PM

Post #4 of 19 (5736 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexsurf] Collision Auto Insurance

You need to read your policy. Some will pay almost US rates ( about $65 to 75 per hour). Others will state that you must have an estimate before you leave Mexico and they only pay Mexican rates. It is up to you to read the policy. Expecting American rates is naïve on your part.

sioux4noff

Sep 27, 2014, 9:21 PM

Post #5 of 19 (5717 views)

Shortcut

The adjuster should have explained that to you.
My policy clearly says that you must notify the adjuster while still in Mexico, and I believe it says the work must be done in Mexico as well.

Mexsurf

Sep 28, 2014, 2:43 PM

Post #6 of 19 (5680 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Collision Auto Insurance

It's not my policy. It was the person that hit me, who was at fault (hit from behind). The adjuster that came to the scene made that clear. Is it really expected that I stay in Mexico until the work is complete? Does anyone find that a little ridiculous? My vehicle is registered in the U.S.. I am a visitor to the country. Where else would I take my car to be fixed?
You are bit more than naive if you think I would stay in Mexico while my car was fixed.

Rolly

Sep 28, 2014, 2:53 PM

Post #7 of 19 (5674 views)

Shortcut

You will pay a price for not following the insurance company's rules.

Rolly Pirate

TedZar

Sep 28, 2014, 3:57 PM

Post #8 of 19 (5656 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Collision Auto Insurance

Other than all that . . .

I'd like good collision insurance on my S.Dakota plated car while in the USA for five days. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced way to do that? All I have found so far was straight liability.

chinagringo

Sep 28, 2014, 4:22 PM

Post #9 of 19 (5652 views)

Shortcut

When we were driving our vehicle down from the US, we used Mexadventure.com and always chose their platinum, elite or premier option to maximize our coverage. If my memory serves me correctly, every policy we ever purchased allowed for the vehicle to be repaired NOB at US repair rates BUT our insurance carrier had to dispatch their adjuster prior to us crossing the border. Once paperwork was completed we could have the work done NOB.

Hopefully, this will work and you will be able to see an example where HDI Seguros Premier Plan states exactly that about repairs NOB:
https://secure.mexadventure.com/...ay_Premier=$10k/$50k

As for the OP, yes you are a visitor in THEIR Country but they get to set the rules! Same would be the case for them when they are NOB.

Life would be simpler if you climbed down off that high horse and understood just what you were doing. You will also find that they have a much different procedure for making payments on claims and they certainly won't be changing that just because you are from NOB!

Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Mexsurf

Sep 28, 2014, 4:40 PM

Post #10 of 19 (5647 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Collision Auto Insurance

Seriously Rolly?
I'm supposed to be versed on insurance rules?
For an accident where I was not at fault. Should I research what the buildings are made of? In case I wish to go inside one.
One would think or even assume that if a driver is covered by insurance, that the insurance would cover more than 15.5%.
Let's be realistic. Instead of being someone who just says "told you so"

Rolly

Sep 28, 2014, 5:38 PM

Post #11 of 19 (5636 views)

Shortcut

Chinagringo said it well.

Rolly Pirate

chinagringo

Sep 28, 2014, 5:53 PM

Post #12 of 19 (5631 views)

Shortcut

Sorry Mexsurf but as a traveler to a strange land - it is your responsibility to educate yourself on those matters which
can adversely affect you!
For example, if you were to fly into Mexico and rent a vehicle from Hertz, Avis, Budget or one of the other larger multinational agencies, you might assume that insurance might be similar to experiences NOB. Fact is that you would be 100% wrong. These franchises make their own rules and unless you press the issue, you might find yourself under insured to meet the new minimum requirements established in various Mexican States. Very much like the US, each State in Mexico has their own established insurance rules that one must be familiar with and make sure that CYA is in effect.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

playaboy

Sep 29, 2014, 5:28 AM

Post #13 of 19 (5590 views)

Shortcut

It seems that you are going to have to take your car to TJ to get it fixed, if you want the insurance to pay. You might have had a chance if you had different insurance companies.

Good thing you are only 200 miles from the border.

arbon

Sep 29, 2014, 10:21 AM

Post #14 of 19 (5549 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Collision Auto Insurance

Can't Post |
Playaboy if you were hit from behind...¿would you not want your insurance company to go after the other insurance company, to get damages?
¿What about when the other person has no insurance?
Or are you all saying that Mexsurf was not insured adequately enough for driving in Mexico?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rvgringo

Sep 29, 2014, 2:33 PM

Post #15 of 19 (5523 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Collision Auto Insurance

I think folks are simply indicating that Mexsurf seems to have not understood the differences in Mexican insurance policies and practices. Here, in Mexico, the insurance company may dictate where repairs are done, theft coverage does not include theft from the car of contents, or even wheels, tires, batteries, etc.; it means total theft of the entire car. Otherwise, no claim can be made. Most policies do include roadside assistance, as well as legal assistance to keep you out of jail.
As anywhere, the insurance company may not give you what you think is full value, and may take forever to pay you anything.
The good news is that most accidents without personal injury do not require the presence of police/transitos; but the insurance agents will come when called and adjust the matter. It is wise to insure well, as many or most vehicles may not have insurance or even licensed drivers, yet as an expat you will be assumed to have deep pockets.

rockydog85251

Sep 29, 2014, 2:48 PM

Post #16 of 19 (5516 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Collision Auto Insurance

When we lived in Comala, Colima we were insured with Inbursa - yes, I know, Carlos Slim - and the windshield on our car received a rock from the road in a construction area. The road was a toll road and we stopped at the next booth and from there they called their adjuster, who also happened to be Inbursa as well. The upshot was that we received 100% of the cost of replacement....finally. We did have to push to get it and the catch in our case, was that it had to be resolved within 30 days. Yes, it pays to understand your coverage and then you might have to push for it.
Willie

playaboy

Sep 29, 2014, 3:17 PM

Post #17 of 19 (5506 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Collision Auto Insurance

In Reply To
Playaboy if you were hit from behind...¿would you not want your insurance company to go after the other insurance company, to get damages?
¿What about when the other person has no insurance?
Or are you all saying that Mexsurf was not insured adequately enough for driving in Mexico?

I think he is SOL because both vehicles involved in the accident were insured by Qualitas. They are going to resolve this as cheaply as they can to benefit Qualtitas. If there were 2 different insurance companies than maybe it would be different.

(This post was edited by playaboy on Sep 29, 2014, 3:42 PM)

esperanza

Sep 29, 2014, 3:20 PM

Post #18 of 19 (5506 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Collision Auto Insurance

In Reply To
When we lived in Comala, Colima we were insured with Inbursa - yes, I know, Carlos Slim - and the windshield on our car received a rock from the road in a construction area. The road was a toll road and we stopped at the next booth and from there they called their adjuster, who also happened to be Inbursa as well. The upshot was that we received 100% of the cost of replacement....finally. We did have to push to get it and the catch in our case, was that it had to be resolved within 30 days. Yes, it pays to understand your coverage and then you might have to push for it.

Rockydog, that's a whole other ballgame. In the case of damage due to road conditions on the toll roads here, your paid toll receipt is your proof of insurance and the TOLL ROAD pays for all damages.

When it happened to us (blown-out tire due to horrible road conditions), the adjustor for the toll road was there in 20 minutes, the car was put on a flatbed tow truck, the tow truck driver took us and the car to the authorized repair shop in that town, and then the repair shop paid for the taxi to take us to the bus station to go back home to Morelia. Two weeks later (this was over the Christmas holiday), the tire was replaced and we went back to get it. Total cost: over 6000 pesos (it was some tire, a MiniCooper run-flat). What we paid: zero. Easy to do business with the toll road.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Moisheh

Sep 29, 2014, 4:14 PM

Post #19 of 19 (5492 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Collision Auto Insurance

Toll road insurance specifically excludes glass coverage. They would go broke in a week with that kind of coverage. As for the OP; Your attitude will get you nowhere in Mexico. If you think you can use logic to win this case you must be a first timer in Mexico. Let this be your first lesson in "things are different in Mexico" Of course you do not have to endure ridiculous insurance rules: Avoid Mexico.
Moisheh

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4