Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

La Isla

Jun 7, 2014, 10:08 AM

Post #1 of 18 (11704 views)

Shortcut

What is a "carpera?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have no idea who Carmen Salinas is, and no real interest in finding out, but I was intrigued by this reference to "carpera" in a recent article about her that appeared in El Universal. Could it have something to do with circuses?

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/espectaculos/2014/impreso/-8220soy-carpera-y-tambien-culta-8221-131556.html

Thanks!

No checa andar de tacuche

Jun 7, 2014, 1:47 PM

Post #2 of 18 (11687 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] What is a "carpera?

"I have no idea who Carmen Salinas is, and no real interest in finding out, but I was intrigued by this reference to "carpera" in a recent article about her that appeared in El Universal. Could it have something to do with circuses? "

Hi La Isla,
I don't know the word either, but reading the article it cites Carmen Salinas as being known for coming from the cine de ficheras y las carpas. The first are low grade Mexican films from the 70s that had a certain style with strong vocabulary, and I can only guess carpera is a travelling performer. [but I really don't know]

La Isla

Jun 7, 2014, 2:14 PM

Post #3 of 18 (11674 views)

Shortcut

Re: [No checa andar de tacuche] What is a "carpera?

Thanks for that information about cine de ficheras. I was thinking that since a carpa is a kind of tent, maybe carperas (and carperos) are performers in traveling circuses. I checked all the dictionaries I use online, and none of them had an entry for carpero/a.

Bennie García

Jun 7, 2014, 4:03 PM

Post #4 of 18 (11666 views)

Shortcut

You have the carpa part correct. The were traveling theaters that were known for political comedy and satire. Some of the famous actor/comedians of the golden era started out as carperos.

http://www.lavozdelnorte.com.mx/...rpas-y-los-carperos/

(This post was edited by Bennie García on Jun 7, 2014, 4:05 PM)

La Isla

Jun 7, 2014, 4:12 PM

Post #5 of 18 (11662 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] What is a "carpera?

Thanks for the information and the link, Bennie.

No checa andar de tacuche

Jun 8, 2014, 6:44 AM

Post #6 of 18 (11641 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] What is a "carpera?

thanks for confirming what I thought.

Oaxagringo

Sep 5, 2014, 3:15 PM

Post #7 of 18 (10611 views)

Shortcut

Oh what fun. I can see the Learning Spanish forum is an excellent contributor on MC!!

Touching on the subject of carpas a film was recently released in the US and has my wife and I very anxiously awaiting its release in this country, "Cantinflas" the story of Mexico's most iconic and adored actor/comedian, Mario Moreno. From his start in the lowly carpas to la época de oro del cine mexicano to international fame.This man was revered worldwide.

Mexico's Charlie Chaplin, Groucho Marx, Laurel and Hardy, Bob Hope. There was a national 3 day mourning period when he died. The US Senate held a moment of silence. His brilliance trancended borders. There will never be another like him.

Ahí está el detalle!!! mis amigos!

cbviajero

Sep 5, 2014, 4:19 PM

Post #8 of 18 (10604 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oaxagringo] What is a "carpera?

Is this an English language film?
Either way I look forward to seeing it,what a genius.
Hector Suarez is another Mexican comedian I admire,his role in the movie,El Mil Usos,was brilliant.

Oaxagringo

Sep 5, 2014, 4:38 PM

Post #9 of 18 (10594 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] What is a "carpera?

There is dialogue in both languages.

tashby

Sep 5, 2014, 5:31 PM

Post #10 of 18 (10586 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Cantinflas - the movie

The website imdb.com lists its country of origin as Mexico and that the film will open September 19. Young Mexican director, Sebastian del Almo, only his second full length feature according to that site. His first feature was "The Fantastic World of Juan Orol".

http://www.imdb.com/...242/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

(This post was edited by tashby on Sep 5, 2014, 5:33 PM)
Attachments: Cantinflas.jpg (21.8 KB)

cbviajero

Sep 5, 2014, 5:57 PM

Post #11 of 18 (10574 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Cantinflas - the movie

Thanks for the link,tashby.
One of my goals when learning Spanish was to be able to follow his dialogue when he was cantinfleando.

tashby

Sep 5, 2014, 6:06 PM

Post #12 of 18 (10569 views)

Shortcut

De nada. On that imdb site there are a couple of trailer-length clips. One is a scene of them filming one of his movies and he starts riffing and improvising and going off script. The Director finally can't stand it any more and yells, "Cut! The script is sacred! Every word is there for a reason!"

And then Cantinflas says something... (Don't want to spoil it.)

tashby

Oct 2, 2014, 8:15 AM

Post #13 of 18 (10202 views)

Shortcut

I saw Cantinflas last night. It's really well done. I'm no expert on Mario Moreno, but as far as an entertaining biopic goes, I would definitely recommend seeing it. The film is very much a loving tribute to the man and his genius.

I understand that the actor who plays Cantinflas/Moreno in the film is from Spain, and that has caused a controversy here. But I saw it with a Mexican friend, and he agreed the actor was perfect.

cbviajero

Oct 2, 2014, 8:32 AM

Post #14 of 18 (10201 views)

Shortcut

I saw it the other day,it's definetely worth seeing,the Spanish actor was very good.

esperanza

Oct 2, 2014, 10:56 AM

Post #15 of 18 (10178 views)

Shortcut

A friend of ours plays Charlie Chaplin. Can't wait to see the movie.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

cbviajero

Oct 2, 2014, 11:03 AM

Post #16 of 18 (10177 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Cantinflas - the movie

It's already available in the tianguis.

esperanza

Oct 2, 2014, 4:00 PM

Post #17 of 18 (10166 views)

Shortcut

Unfortunately i have been too busy to go, and right now I'm out of town. Soon!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

tashby

Oct 2, 2014, 7:43 PM

Post #18 of 18 (10156 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Cantinflas - the movie

It's made with a lot of cinematic love for the epoca de oro, so it's worth seeing in a theatre. But if that is not possible, it would be easily enjoyed at home, as well.

Also, since this is the Learning Spanish foro, I am happy to say I had no problem at all with the film - the only subtitles were the during English language portions, about 25% , if that.

Of course, I confess, I did NOT understand when he was "Cantinfleando", but, I'll cut myself some major slack there. It's a lovely film.

P.S. AND.....getting all the way back to La Isla's question which started the thread....they use the word carpera!

(This post was edited by tashby on Oct 2, 2014, 7:46 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4