First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

gmelchor

Apr 30, 2014, 12:46 PM

Post #51 of 136 (33228 views)

Shortcut

My recent Cancun INM renewal experience

| Private Reply
OMG.
My first time renewal of a Residente Temporal. The office now opens at 9am. Last year it was 8am. I presented my completed "Renovacion". I had the same infantile photos from last year and was told they needed to be new. Last year it took 5 different sittings to get it 'just right' for the INM office, so I thought I better use the ones from last year, but NOPE. She asked for my bank statements. I've heard they were not required for your renewal, but Thank Goodness, I took them anyway. My Spanish is limited, but I've been able to get by. However, the attendant spoke extremely quickly. She held up my letter that says, "I want to renew, nothing's changed in my residence or financial situation and that I want to purchase a 3 year renewal", and said something very rapidly in Spanish. I politely, in Spanish, apologized that I did not understand and if she could speak slower. She did it again, and I said the same thing again. She said, "TSK!" and quickly and rudely slammed my paper down on the counter in front of me. I had also given her my Permiso de Salida y Regreso completed packet. She then said something about the form to take to the bank. I asked her where do I get it. She quickly said what sounded like an internet address, so I started to write it down. She showed me the address on the her computer screen. Last year, they gave me a form to take to the bank. Now you have to print it out and take to the bank.

I returned with everything she requested. I asked when I could come pick up my Permiso de Salida Y Regreso. She said, Thursday. I said, But I leave Wednesday at 10:30 am. She said, come Wednesday at 9. I said I have to be at the airport on Wednesday at 7:20am to check-in at the airport and if there was something that could be done. She looked me squarely in the eye and said, "Abrimos a las nueve".

I had to contact an attorney to help me.

I explained to the attorney what had happened and she said since the INM clerk rudely gave me back my letter, that my application was incomplete and this would cause more delays. She helped me re-write the letter and directed me to ask the clerk the next day to kindly place it in my Renovacion. Three different clerks refused, stating I would have to wait for my "Presentarse" status on their website.

I really don't understand why the Cancun office is so very rude and complicated. I asked if anyone could assist me in English and each staff person said No.

I asked when I would be giving my fingerprints or be able to pay for my 3 years, and the clerk said in Spanish, "you will find out if you get approved'".

I'm really about to give this up.

Completely Frustrated.

gmelchor

May 10, 2014, 12:28 PM

Post #52 of 136 (33139 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gmelchor] My recent Cancun INM renewal experience

| Private Reply
Here's an update.
I received an email that I had 10 days from the date of the email to present to the INM in Cancun with a set of pictures (mind you, I already submitted these and they were brand new. I watched the clerk paperclip them to my application), and I was only being offered 1 year renewal and to bring the paid bank reciept with copies. My previously hired attorney stated I could not appeal INMs decision to give me only one year, nor could I complain that I had already submitted a new set of photos.

I have given up. I have been 'red taped' to death. I plan on returning to Mexico within the next few weeks and will NOT show my Permiso de Salida Y Regreso, but instead enter as a tourist. My hope is that this will cancel my pending Renovacion and revert me back to a tourist. Let's see how that turns out.

Better luck to others with more fortitude and strength.

rvgringo

May 10, 2014, 3:39 PM

Post #53 of 136 (33124 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I suggest that you not do that. Return with your exit/return letter, as required. You are in the computer system and coming in on an FMM tourist permit woud violate the INM rules prohibiting having two immigration documents at the same time; a serious offense.
Why not just get the new photos and pay for your renewal as planned. Next time, you will probably be able to get the three year renewal and be done until that is about to expire and you apply for Residente Permanente.
If you do not proceed as required, you may never have another chance. There is always the chance of rule changes; that is a given.

Rolly

May 10, 2014, 4:40 PM

Post #54 of 136 (33115 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] My recent Cancun INM renewal experience

| Private Reply
I agree wit Rvgringo. Grit your teeth, and deal with the bitch at INM.

Rolly Pirate

gmelchor

May 10, 2014, 4:41 PM

Post #55 of 136 (33112 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

Thanks for the valuable advice. The letter I received from INM gave me 10 days to return. I am in the US and cannot return that soon. What would you advise in this situation? If I return AFTER the 10 days allowed, what do you believe would become of my Renovacion? The soonest I can get there would be approximately 20 days after the receipt of the INM request for my pics and payment. Any advice would be appreciated.

rvgringo

May 11, 2014, 8:36 AM

Post #56 of 136 (33089 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I thought those exit/return letters were usually good for up to 60 days. Did you only request 10 days?
You say you cannot return on time. Was there a death in the immediate family, or is it simply inconvenient?
If you are late, you will have problems with INM, or possibly not be allowed to re-enter Mexico.
You are under an obligation that you agreed to honor. So, I suggest you get back on schedule, get your new visa card and then travel in and out at will.

Rolly

May 11, 2014, 8:58 AM

Post #57 of 136 (33080 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
No, rvegrigo, you misunderstand. The 10 days to return letter has to do with completing his INM application. It is a routine part of the process. It has nothing to do with his out of country permission.

Rolly Pirate

gmelchor

May 11, 2014, 9:12 AM

Post #58 of 136 (33069 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] My recent Cancun INM renewal experience

| Private Reply
Rolly- you are correct. INM is giving me 10 days to return to the office. I have my Permiso which expires 21 June.

What is complicating my situation is that I'm taking care of my dad in Texas. Unfortunately, his physical and mental health has been deteriorating in the last 1.5 years, just as I started my application process, and I need to tend to him daily. When out of the country, I have to hire someone to help, but prefer not to.

I'm trying to hire an attorney to help me with this and hopefully she can deliver these items to the INM in the next week because I can't leave my dad right now. The soonest I can get someone to care for him is the end of this month.

I really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. (Funny, Rolly!)

rvgringo

May 11, 2014, 9:25 AM

Post #59 of 136 (33064 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Sorry. The post did lead me astray.
In the situation, as explained above, the only hope might be a visit to a Mexican Consulate, if one is nearby, with a request to cancel your application for the time being, due to your father and his needs. I have little faith that an attorney will succeed in anything but costing more.
Good luck and I hope all goes well.

lobita

May 29, 2014, 8:44 AM

Post #60 of 136 (32913 views)

Shortcut

Residente Permanente from Laredo consulate

| Private Reply
If you are a US citizen seeking approval for a residente permanente visa, I recommend the Laredo consulate.

We had terrible experiences with the Seattle and San Antonio offices -- in both places, we felt like the official we were dealing with was against the entire idea of Americans emigrating to Mexico and was actively trying to throw up extra roadblocks.

Austin was helpful, but overworked and slow. We ran up against a travel deadline before we could get through the procedure there, so I'd only recommend them if you're willing to spend several days in the area and make multiple trips.

Laredo, however, was the jackpot. Some details to note:

My spouse is the one with the steady monthly income, so our plan was to get his residente visa and add me on under the family provision. However, the payments are deposited into a bank account which is in my name only. Laredo wouldn't approve him, even with pay stubs in his name and a copy of our marriage certificate. (But they were nice about it.)

However, they approved *me* on the basis of bank statements (online printouts) without asking to see pay stubs. Not only that, but they approved me for permanente based on working income, not a pension. (We are well below retirement age.) So now we're just doing it in reverse -- I'll get my visa, then add him as family.

I walked in on a Tuesday morning and walked out 80 minutes later with my approval, same day. Laredo was also the only office of the four to respond to our email or phone contact attempts (we got an email reply).

Nikky

Jun 6, 2014, 7:06 AM

Post #61 of 136 (32833 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Hi there,

It's been a while since I'm reading this forum, but it's my first post here.

Quickly: Young Canadian couple with a 6-year old child moving to Mexico in August 2014. We are going to be remote workers. We have been travelling a lot during the last years (Europe + North America) with longer stays in the USA.

Now, we are ready to spend 1 year in Mexico to enjoy the culture, the weather and to learn Spanish.

I want to share my experience in the Mexican Consulate office in Montréal, Canada.

I wanted to get more information about the temporal residente, because some information was missing on their website. I went yesterday (June 5th), I explained our situation, the guy at the consulate was really nice and helpful. They requested the following documents:

- passeport + 1 photocopy
- 2 pictures
- original bank statements for the last 6 months showing deposits around $2000/month
- certified copy of the above bank statements, must be certified by the bank (did not have that)
- birth certificate of our daughter + 1 photocopy
- since we are not married, no marriage certificate was requested
- letter from my employer in Canada (I'm a governement employee planning to take an unpaid leave)
- proof of the company registration of my partner (he's doing websites for a living)
- $40 CAD for each visa at the consulate

We finally decided to not move on with the application since we think that is getting very expensive ($312 x 3 for the cards in Mexico!) and that we could just go on a tourist visa (180 days). We are planning to leave Mexico to go back in Canada for Christmas and then, return to Mexico.

We don't see any benefits of having the temporal residente card...do you?

However, if we decide to stay longer, we may want to apply for a permanent visa instead of a temporal...no need to renew every year.

What do you think?

(This post was edited by Nikky on Jun 6, 2014, 7:09 AM)

rvgringo

Jun 6, 2014, 10:20 AM

Post #62 of 136 (32807 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nikky] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Your plan will be just fine, as long as you realize that you cannot change your INM status within Mexico; only from your home country or country of legal residence.

Nikky

Jun 6, 2014, 11:31 AM

Post #63 of 136 (32800 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Your plan will be just fine, as long as you realize that you cannot change your INM status within Mexico; only from your home country or country of legal residence.

Yeah, I totally understand that and it's not a problem for me. We don't know if we are going to stay more than 1 year in Mexico so we prefer that way.

I read on other forums that officially, if you work for yoursek (freelancer with non-Mexicans), the law is you need to apply for a residente temporal and then a work permit at the INM. But seems that no one is doing that.

La Isla

Jun 6, 2014, 12:16 PM

Post #64 of 136 (32796 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
If you eventually apply for and receive residente permanente status, then you will also be allowed to work in Mexico, for yourself or for someone else.

Nikky

Jun 6, 2014, 1:59 PM

Post #65 of 136 (32785 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Yes, of course. And I prefer to apply for a permanent visa rather than a temporal, the latter seems to bring any benefits.

Girasole

Jul 24, 2014, 11:56 AM

Post #66 of 136 (32363 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Chapala INM office - we have had Residente Temporal status since 31 July last year and returned to Mexico on 28 June this year to apply for 3 years as Residente Temporal at Chapala. My Spanish is limited but there are at least two INM officials at the Chapala office who speak English well and are happy to assist applicants.

This time we dispensed with using an Immigration consultant and followed Rolly Brooks' website instructions to the letter ( Thanks Rolly, your website instructions are very comprehensive and much appreciated ), and other than a small snafus when the official forgot to collect our old Residente Temporal cards when we applied, everything went seamlessly.
Timeline:
Applied on 1 July 2014
Did fingerprints and handed in photographs ( 2 frontal & 1 from the right side) on 10 July 2014
Will receive New Residente Temporal Visa cards at .? small ceremony at Lake Chapala Society grounds on 25 july 2014
Altogether = 25 days.

roberth

Aug 12, 2014, 9:29 AM

Post #67 of 136 (32133 views)

Shortcut

Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Well I'm quite frustrated with INM at the moment.

Back story: I moved to Monterrey at the very end of May, on a Residente Temporal VISA. Got everything in order at the local INM office, documents sent to DF last week in June. At that point things had gone incredibly smoothly, too good to be true!

I check the VISA status online for a month, nothing changes, so end of July I revisit the office to check on the status. Was told that Aduana at the border had used the wrong stamp on a document, but they were fixing their mistake and I was required to do nothing but wait for it to get worked out.

Then last night, I receive an email from INM stating that a document describing my work status was not included in the packet, and I needed to supply this document within 10 days or my VISA would be denied. This document was included, who knows what happened to it. So I go to the INM office today with the requested document, and now for some reason they need to make copies of my pay stubs, proving employment status and income. Luckily I had them, got everything copied and prepared, and am told that everything is good to go. Wait a week and I'll get a form to fill out online, which I'll bring back in and get my finger prints done, then another week and my VISA will be ready.

What happened to the original employment letter? Why did I again need to show my financials? After a smooth start, this process has gotten quite frustrating. But hopefully everything is in order now...

ifyoucanttakeajoke

Aug 12, 2014, 9:38 AM

Post #68 of 136 (32130 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roberth] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Welcome to Mexico.

roberth

Aug 12, 2014, 10:20 AM

Post #69 of 136 (32124 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ifyoucanttakeajoke] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Welcome to Mexico.

haha thanks. Yep, there's nothing much else to say. It's just nice having a place to vent.

Mstonge

Aug 12, 2014, 4:03 PM

Post #70 of 136 (32095 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roberth] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I am sorry to see that these problems still happen. I was hoping that my personal, very positive experience, would be a sign of things improving.

I entered Mexico on June 7, and by June 13 I had my permanent resident card in hand. Everything was done locally, in Cuernavaca. Maybe that is a benefit from being part of "Metropolitan México". No documents were sent to the DF.

Of course, I felt compelled to write a "thank you" and "congratulations for your excellent service" letter to the local INM manager.

I don't know why, but when I visited the INM office last week for other matters, I was greeted with great smiles and abrazos - LOL

gabrielin

Aug 13, 2014, 6:20 PM

Post #71 of 136 (32057 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mstonge] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
My experience with the INM office in Mexicali, Baja California was very straightforward. My spouse is a Mexican citizen (I'm a US citizen) and we married in Mexico City, so the process of switching from tourist to resident was probably a lot easier for me than it is for others. I was able to do everything from inside Mexico.

I started out by getting a "visitante" (tourist card) at the land border crossing for ~$300 pesos. This is really easy to get if you are a US citizen. All you need is your US passport and they'll issue the card for a maximum of 180 days.

A few days later, on July 22, I went to INM's website and filled out the universal application (section: "Cambiar condicion de estancia" > "Cambio de condicion a residente temporal por unidad familiar"). The next day, July 23, my husband went into the office with my passport, tourist card, his IFE card, and our marriage certificate (with copies of each). He filled out a form and was then sent to the bank to pay fees for my "residente temporal" card. He returned with the receipts and they told him that all of the paperwork would be sent to DF for processing.

(Note: if you are married to a Mexican citizen, you must start out as temporal. After 2 years, you should qualify for permanente and/or citizenship).

I checked online that same evening and saw that I was approved. I couldn't believe how fast that was. I just had to go in to give them my photos and fingerprints, which I put off until the next week (July 29th). The lady at the local office told me it would take approximately 3 weeks until I receive an e-mail saying that my card is ready to be picked up. Now, I'm just playing the waiting game.

That was my experience. The fact that I speak Spanish may have helped, but I have nothing but good things to say about the Mexicali INM office and their staff. I was kind of nervous to go in at first because I am gay and married to my husband, but the people who work there were extremely friendly and courteous and, unlike what I have read about other INM offices, there was virtually no wait.

For the record, it probably won't happen, but if anyone encounters any type of discrimination at an INM office, be sure to report it by calling INM's main telephone number. It is illegal for them to discriminate based on things like race, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc.

roberth

Aug 19, 2014, 10:47 AM

Post #72 of 136 (31965 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mstonge] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
As a quick update, everything was cleared up surprisingly fast. The very next day after I had to return to INM to resubmit that document, I received an email stating that the online form was ready to be filled out. I just got around to going back in today to have my finger prints taken, and so I guess, in a week or two, my RT will be ready to pick up! After a longer than expected wait, I'm very excited that I'm almost done with the process for a year.

For anyone applying for a non-working RT in the future, who plans to continue their work online job in Mexico, make sure that the letter you supply to INM about your work activities explicitly states that you'll be living in Mexico off of the income you generate for that job. In Spanish of course. The absence of that sentence in the original document I submitted (that an INM official wrote up for me btw), delayed my process by almost two months.

Casa704

Aug 25, 2014, 6:40 PM

Post #73 of 136 (31838 views)

Shortcut

Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Has anyone had experience with Visa process at Seattle Consulate. I found their requirements unrealistic. I have tried emailing and calling but they do not respond.

Thanks

Rolly

Aug 25, 2014, 6:46 PM

Post #74 of 136 (31829 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa704] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
It seems that most consulates respond only to personal visits.

In what ways were the requirements of the Seattle consulate unrealistic?

Rolly Pirate

Casa704

Aug 25, 2014, 6:53 PM

Post #75 of 136 (31822 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Rolly,

This are the requirements that I find difficult and in my case not feasible.

"A notarized letter from your bank addressed to the Consulate of Mexico in Seattle Washington, stating proof of income. The head of the family needs to prove an income of at least US $ 1,000.00 a month and for each dependent member an additional minimum of US $ 500.00 monthly. This letter must specify that the monthly income is to be transferred to a Mexican bank".

These requirements seems problematic to me. The income is expected. But to have my retirement fund send a notarized letter to the Consulate of Mexico and to specify that monthly income be transferred to a Mexican Bank is bunk.

In Reply To
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4