Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Adios

May 27, 2014, 2:14 PM

Post #1 of 12 (2148 views)

Shortcut

Photo voltaic panels

Can't Post |
This topic hasn't been discussed here in recent years. We had CIFE come out and give us a free energy usage assessment recently. We are using around 600 kWh per 2 month period. As you may know - if you are over 500 kwh for 6 bills (I believe) you lose your government subsidy (ie. your bill will double). Anyway - the bottom line from their visit - our meters are only recording 74% of our true usage and the want to replace our meters with a new digital one.

So - since we are apparently really using over 800 kWh per billing cycle I think we need to look into photo voltaic panels. It looks like they pay for themselves in about 4 years (kind of like the hurricane panels and the insurance savings back in the States). And annual energy costs are projected to go up 12-14% per year....

Anyone have any personal experiences with these panels ? do's, dont's what type to get etc ?

Thanks

ifyoucanttakeajoke

May 27, 2014, 2:26 PM

Post #2 of 12 (2142 views)

Shortcut

Re: [charlie131120] Photo voltaic panels

Can't Post | Private Reply
You ASKED CFE to come out and give you an energy assessment something? And lookie here. Your meter is running short and you need a new meter that will increase your bill.

All I can say is, if I see CFE out there I don't answer the door.

DavidHF

May 27, 2014, 4:01 PM

Post #3 of 12 (2132 views)

Shortcut

There are several reputable dealers of PV Solar systems. I've had mine for almost 4 years. Many of my neighbors have them as well. My advice should you wish to ivestigate further: Get only name-brand panels made in the Nafta countries. Chinese panels may be cheaper but Chinese suppliers have been going out of business at a reccord rate. Deal only with a reputable company, get references. They will give you only good ones, find out why some other owners didn't buy from them. Ignore all talk about technology; the technology is super simple and has been around for decades. The only thing that matters is cost per watt. You didn't say where you are. PM if you wish further info.

Adios

May 27, 2014, 4:24 PM

Post #4 of 12 (2125 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Photo voltaic panels

Can't Post |
We will have four quotes by this time next week. First guy came out today and we don't have an official quote yet but roughly 95,000 pesos for 550 kWh /2 months + 3800 or so to CFE for the new bi-directional meter. Price includes all parts and installation. Installation would be on the back wall of the property - we would never see the panels unless we looked down over the wall (40 foot drop to the empty lot behind us). Apparently it is a credit/debit system with CFE with credits being good for 12 months to be applied against debits. The panels come from Mexico and the inverter comes from Austria.

YucaLandia

May 27, 2014, 6:02 PM

Post #5 of 12 (2119 views)

Shortcut

Good idea adding solar!

One minor tweak: The 550 kWh or 850 kWh average DAC limit you refer to is per month - not per billing cycle -to be moved into the DAC category. This means that you double that DAC monthly limit to compare with your recent 2-month bills.

In Merida, we stay below the DAC limit by keeping our electricity usage below 850 kWh per month => 1,700 kWhr allowed per billing cycle. What Tarifa zone are you in?

You also mention a CFE credit-debit system: I want to make sure I understand. The CFE system now allows you take electricity credits from months when your solar system dumps more power back onto the grid than the power you use, and then those past credits will automatically credited against future CFE bills?

CFE previously did not track or carry forward credits in the past, so if this is true - it's a big leap forward.
Do I understand correctly?
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on May 27, 2014, 6:03 PM)

Adios

May 28, 2014, 7:51 AM

Post #6 of 12 (2070 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Photo voltaic panels

Can't Post |
850 kWh means you are probably in zone 1C. Unfortunately we are in Zone 1 (250 kWh / month). In that past we have used that much for the pool alone !

Someone else is coming to give a quote today. I will reconfirm how the credit/debit system works.

ifyoucanttakeajoke

May 28, 2014, 7:58 AM

Post #7 of 12 (2068 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
850 kWh means you are probably in zone 1C. Unfortunately we are in Zone 1 (250 kWh / month). In that past we have used that much for the pool alone !

Someone else is coming to give a quote today. I will reconfirm how the credit/debit system works.

Make sure you get your credit/debit info from CFE. A panel salesman will tell you anything.

(This post was edited by ifyoucanttakeajoke on May 28, 2014, 7:58 AM)

YucaLandia

May 28, 2014, 8:12 AM

Post #8 of 12 (2061 views)

Shortcut

Yes, in (hot hot) Merida, we are in 1C. Does the 12 month moving-average DAC calculation help you at all?

Does cooler season and traveling back home's months of lower electricity usage bring the 12 month moving-average below that wicked 250 kWh/mes level?

What size panels, and what manufacturer are you looking at?

We've set up solar panels on 3 different properties, but our personal home usage is so low we haven't done it on our home (yet). We just set up a 4 unit apartment building (all on one meter). I doubt that all 4 units will have 100% occupancy, so I'm very interested in the details of the credit-carry-forward system - to determine how big a system to install.**

Thanks,
steve

**Anybody have any idea how to estimate how much electricity renters might use - since many Mexicans (like my family members) don't like clima, while Canadian and US tenants can use surprising amounts of A/C. ???
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Adios

May 28, 2014, 8:18 AM

Post #9 of 12 (2057 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ifyoucanttakeajoke] Photo voltaic panels

Can't Post |
Came across this article - A little convoluted wording but I think it agrees with what I was told.
http://www.energynews.es/...or-power-generation/

[salient part]
"Billing and payments

For billing purposes, the Producerís kWh consumption is determined as the difference between the electrical energy delivered by the Supplier to the Producer and the Energy Delivered by the Producer for the billing period. When the difference is negative, it will be treated as a credit to the Producer that may be offset within the period of the 12 following months. When the difference is positive, it will be considered as a credit in favor of the Supplier and will be billed to each Producer at the rate applicable."

DavidHF

May 28, 2014, 1:54 PM

Post #10 of 12 (2027 views)

Shortcut

Charlie, make sure each quote clearly states the electrical output of your system in Kw. For example mine is 1.72Kwatt. Then you can compare apples and apples. Where are you? In the Chapala area a 1.5Kw system costs less than $6,000US. What is the brand name of the panels?

CFE does indeed credit kilowatt hours that you provide them in excess of your consumption, and it shows clearly on the CFE bill.

sioux4noff

May 28, 2014, 2:00 PM

Post #11 of 12 (2023 views)

Shortcut

We have a system installed by eSun Energy. It works flawlessly and exactly as explained.
CFE has had bidirectional digital meters for several years at least. And before we got that meter, our analog meter ran backwards when the system was generating more than we were using.
My best advice is to listen to those who have a system or recently researched it. We got a lot of useless and wrong advice from people who thought they knew, but had no recent knowledge.
Our system will pay for itself in under 5 years.

DavidHF

May 28, 2014, 6:52 PM

Post #12 of 12 (2003 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Photo voltaic panels

All PV systems deliever according to their specs. The key is to buy from a supplier who will be there for you if there's a problem and to buy only high-quality name-brand equipment. Be sure your vendor gives you a detailed quotation listing every item by make and model number. You'll need that if you ever have a problem and the supplier isn't around. The 25 year warranty on the panels is from the maker not the supplier. Same with the inverter. There are several good suppliers of good equipment but there are many who supply only marginal Chinese-made stuff. Buyer beware.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4