Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

chinagringo

Jun 9, 2014, 6:25 PM

Post #26 of 30 (1171 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rioesmarex] Driving Belize to Texas - Shortest Route?

| Private Reply
Please folks, it isn't like it is all that hard to find the news stories in this day in age:

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/...ideo-of-tampico.html
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Altahabana

Jun 9, 2014, 6:57 PM

Post #27 of 30 (1170 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Look--I don't care what route you take. I only responded to your post because you are recommending a route that would take a traveler through the heart of an area that is experiencing a wave of intense public violence. Just because you may think that's insignificant or because you are unaware of it doesn't mean others might like some reference to what's happening.

The incident last Thursday has received media attention, although most of it is in Spanish. The federal police took down a group of sicarios. Some of their companeros tried to assist by hijacking vehicles and blocking the roads. It's a well known tactic. The driver of an 18 wheeler resisted and was shot to death, his body left in the roadway.

When the federals caught up to the bad guys they killed them all. There is a video shot on a cell phone of one of them writhing around on the ground with a horrific lower leg wound. There are then photos of him dead with an obvious head wound he didn't have in the video. You can fill in the blanks.

That's what happened. If that doesn't bother you fine.

rioesmarex

Jun 10, 2014, 10:53 AM

Post #28 of 30 (1138 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Driving Belize to Texas - Shortest Route?

| Private Reply
O.K. .... now that you've explained what actually happened that's fine but man you really need top cool it and not get so uptight when someone asks for a simple explanation.
However, you're not looking at the big picture. Violence is a way of life in Mexico AND in many parts of the U.S. and if you want to live ( tourist or resident ) you have to learn to live with it and just keep a low profile and not get involved with drugs or druggies.
If you did your research you would probably find that violence has occurred on many occasion on ALL routes in and out of Mexico, so to say Tampico is exceptionally bad is just not true. It happens all over...... and if people are too scared to go through there then remember I did describe in detail and alternate route.
If you are going to live in fear in Mexico and lock yourself inside and not travel then you probably don't belong in Mexico in the first place
The fact that the federales killed all of the " assassins " is wonderful. Now if they would start killing all the drug runners and dealers when they catch them that would be even better. The maybe the U.S. state and federal police would take note and do the same and put the fear of christ into our baddies.
So I say again to all travelers ...... take whatever route you feel is safe for you, but remember that you have no guarantee that one is better than the other.
Safe travels

Altahabana

Jun 10, 2014, 12:01 PM

Post #29 of 30 (1132 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thanks for the advice, but I am very familiar with northeastern Mexico and think I have a pretty good grasp of the "big picture," at least as it concerns Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon and Coahuila. I don't pick up on what's happening in the area by doing research.

Conditions vary from place to place and time to time, but some areas are more problematic than others. It's situational and it will pass. But right now Tampico is exceptionally bad as are many other parts of Tamaulipas----comparable to early 2010. There's plenty objective evidence that bears that out. In my opinion--as a resident o Tamaulipas---there are more secure routes to and from the interior of Mexico. That's all I am saying.

Rolly

Jun 10, 2014, 12:07 PM

Post #30 of 30 (1130 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Driving Belize to Texas - Shortest Route?

| Private Reply
Those of us who have been around for a while recognize Altahaana's expertise in matters of North-Eastern México.

It also appears this thread has run its course, so it's time to move on.

Rolly Pirate
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4