Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

cbviajero

May 19, 2014, 4:10 PM

Post #1 of 5 (3591 views)

Shortcut

Guadalajara to Nuevo Laredo

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have to make a trip to Nuevo Laredo from Guadalajara,the last time I made the drive was about ten years ago and I took highway 54 most of the way,few if any tolls that I remember and decent roads,I just consulted the (ruta a ruta) website and they indicate a different route,any input would be appreciated.

(This post was edited by cbviajero on May 19, 2014, 4:17 PM)

RickS

May 19, 2014, 6:15 PM

Post #2 of 5 (3576 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Guadalajara to Nuevo Laredo

Yes, 54 out of Guadalajara will be a non-toll, 2-lane road thru Zacatecas City and to the south side of Saltillo. There you will pick up toll roads to Nuevo Laredo. Due to new toll roads around Saltillo it is no longer required to drive through the middle of that city to get to Nuevo Laredo. The portion of 54 from Guadalajara to nearly Zacatecas will be slow going as the first 100-150 klm is in the canyons and is narrow and twisty. If one gets behind trucks it will be slow going. The remainder to Zacatecas is better but there will be several towns and their topes. Once past Zacatecas 54 is a wonderful, wide 2-lane road up to the south side of Saltillo.

Probably 99% of the travelers to Nuevo Laredo do NOT go this way but pay the piper and take the toll roads for the convenience. If you wish to have directions going that way, just ask.

cbviajero

May 20, 2014, 6:44 AM

Post #3 of 5 (3539 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Guadalajara to Nuevo Laredo

Thanks Rick,I don't mind paying tolls if it makes the drive easier,you're right about the first 100 kilometers being slow and winding and if 99% take the cuota I should probably consider it too.

RickS

May 20, 2014, 9:10 AM

Post #4 of 5 (3524 views)

Shortcut

Most of us do.

The "ruta a ruta" website is pretty good but some cuotas are not represented. Specifically on the Guadalajara to N.L., it will have you going through San Luis Potosi. While not the end of the world, a 'better' decision might be this:

+ At Lagos de Moreno take a short bypass to the left around town. Upon exiting that, one will find a 'new' 2-lane cuota heading north towards Villa de Arriaga. Just before getting there, take another cuota east (don't go into Villa). About 75km later one will connect with hiway 57 north. Be wary of your speed as you approach 57.
+ Almost immediately after getting on 57, take the bypass cuota around (east of) San Luis Potosi. Also watch your speed in the bypass.
+ 57 will take you north to Matehuala and then Saltillo (east side). Cuota off and on.
+ Northeast of Saltillo take cuota 40 towards Monterrey; approaching Monterrey take the bypass/periferico left to skirt NW of Monterrey.
+ North of Monterrey take cuota 85 north to Nuevo Laredo.
+ If you have to do Immigration and/or vehicle permit work in N.L., there is a "Sticky" above on this forum that gives one directions to the building.

While one 'can' make the trip from Ajijic to N.L. in one very Long day, many people stop in Matehuala where there are many nice motels. The cuota cost for this trip is 'around' $75-100 US. Pemex stations abound throughout the trip.

(This post was edited by RickS on May 20, 2014, 1:55 PM)

esperanza

May 20, 2014, 12:27 PM

Post #5 of 5 (3508 views)

Shortcut

It's Rutas Punto a Punto. Here's the link:

http://aplicaciones4.sct.gob.mx/...action=cmdEscogeRuta

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on May 20, 2014, 12:28 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4