Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

La Isla

May 19, 2014, 9:45 AM

Post #1 of 9 (11501 views)

Shortcut

Signing up for IMSS health care coverage in the DF

Can't Post | Private Reply
After procrastinating for over a year, (!) I'm finally going to my local IMSS office to sign up for health care coverage. According to the little slip of paper I was given when I went there to get my Mexican Social Security Number, these are the documents I need to take with me, both original and a copy:

1. Constancia de domicilio
2. Birth certificate
3. Official ID (I'll take my INM Residente Permanente card)
4. 4 photographs
5. CURP
6. Document showing my SSN

If anyone has signed up recently for this coverage in Mexico City, I'd appreciate hearing from you. How long did the process take? How many trips to the office did you have to take till the process was complete? Were you required to present any documents I've not listed here.

Mil gracias!

judithnpups

May 19, 2014, 1:00 PM

Post #2 of 9 (11470 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Signing up for IMSS health care coverage in the DF

Hi, La Isla,
It sounds like you'll have all your documents in order. Remember the photos are tamaño infantil.

I didn't sign up as a new member when we moved to the DF. I transferred my Morelia files to Mexico City. So I can't really tell you the whole process here, just my experience transferring in.

If I remember correctly, it was kind of a pain. I started in the IMSS administrative office two blocks from our house, esq. Insurgentes Sur and Tlaxcala. It is a 10-story building and you manage to have to visit half of the floors several times each, before you are done. Then they sent me to the medical center near the Glorieta Insurgentes, where, after about a three-hour wait, they assigned me to a doctor. I think I may have had to return to the administrative offices on the corner of Insurgentes and Tlaxcala, but I can't quite remember. Fortunately, there are MetroBus stops at both places.

Renewals all take place in the administrative offices, and although they require visits to half the pisos in the building, and of course a visit to the copier guy on the corner and the bank next door, they aren't too complicated and it takes about an hour.

When I first signed up in Morelia I had to have a physical exam and blood work and was on probation for about six months before I was accepted without limitations. My normally low-normal blood pressure was elevated the day I applied in Morelia, probably from running around in the heat with my ex. They made me come in every month to check it for six months. It was always normal after that first time and I was approved.

The care at the IMSS center in Morelia was fabulous, and I saw the same doctor every time for all the years I lived there. I have never needed or seen an IMSS doctor here in the DF. No one has checked my blood pressure or blood sugar. However, Cristina can tell you about a friend's experience with excellent emergency care at the IMSS hospital on the next block.

Suerte!
Judith

La Isla

May 19, 2014, 1:14 PM

Post #3 of 9 (11462 views)

Shortcut

Re: [judithnpups] Signing up for IMSS health care coverage in the DF

Hi Judith! Thanks for your very complete reply to my post. I have an American friend who lives in my neighborhood, who applied a few years ago, and he has given me some tips about the process. Apparently, the IMSS administrative office I have to go to is in Santa Maria La Ribera, even though there is another office a five-minute walk from my apartment (how frustrating!). And there are no banks near the office, which just adds to the time it will take to get everything taken care of. He is younger than me, and when he first applied, he was 46. Since I am in my late 60s, I have been concerned about not being accepted if I don't pass the kind of physical you mention that was required in Morelia. He tells me no physical was required of him here, but I wonder if that's because of his age. I do have high cholesterol and my blood pressure is a bit high too, but I have been taking medicine to keep them under control for a couple of years. I´ll have to keep my fingers crossed and hope that I am accepted.

Marsha

P.S. Do you remember if you needed 4 photos or just one?

(This post was edited by La Isla on May 19, 2014, 1:32 PM)

judithnpups

May 19, 2014, 3:18 PM

Post #4 of 9 (11446 views)

Shortcut

I think I needed two photos, and maybe even front and profile. But a year or two later, in Morelia they started giving out a plastic tarjeta with a photo they took right there on the premises. But when I turned 60 and needed a new booklet (for old folks.) I think I took the picture that was stapled onto my first carnet and stuck it on the new one.
Take your meds and don't worry. I don't think they do any type of physical here. And maybe for tercera edad they cut us more slack.
Judith
Judith in the DF (formerly in Morelia)

judithnpups

May 19, 2014, 3:36 PM

Post #5 of 9 (11439 views)

Shortcut

Here is some info from the IMSS website:

http://www.imss.gob.mx/tramites/imss02014

In addition to what you already know you need, it says:

• Cuestionario médico proporcionado por el IMSS, llenado por ti. (It looks like you fill out your own medical history. Don't volunteer anything that isn't asked for.)
  • 2 fotografías recientes de tamaño infantil (two photos, like I thought)
  • Escrito mediante el cual manifiestas bajo protesta de decir verdad que careces de familia, si este fuera tu caso (This is a letter you write saying you have no family members here. I'd forgotten about that.)
  • Comprobante de pago anticipado de la(s) cuota(s) correspondiente(s) (They will give you the form to take to the bank.)

• This is the link to find the correct administration office, I think: http://www.imss.gob.mx/directorio
    And this is what they say about preexisting conditions:
    No serán sujetos de aseguramiento las personas que presenten:
    • Alguna enfermedad preexistente, tales como: tumores malignos; enfermedades crónico degenerativas (complicaciones tardías de la diabetes mellitus); enfermedades por atesoramiento (enfermedad de Gaucher); enfermedades crónicas del hígado; insuficiencia renal crónica; valvulopatías cardíacas; insuficiencia cardíaca; secuelas de cardiopatía isquémica (arritmia, ángor o infarto del miocardio); enfermedad pulmonar obstructiva crónica con insuficiencia respiratoria, entre otras, y
    • Enfermedades sistémicas crónicas del tejido conectivo; adicciones como alcoholismo y otras toxicomanías; trastornos mentales como psicosis y demencias; enfermedades congénitas y síndrome de inmunodeficiencia adquirida o Virus de Inmunodeficiencia Adquirida Humana positivo (VIH)

(This post was edited by RickS on May 19, 2014, 6:20 PM)

La Isla

May 19, 2014, 3:39 PM

Post #6 of 9 (11439 views)

Shortcut

The list I have states you need 4 photos "when restrictions apply" (of course, no mention about what they might be). In any event, I'll have them taken tomorrow and see what happens when I get there on Wednesday. As long as I don't need to pass a physical to be approved, I'll be happy. For three years, I paid big bucks for a private policy that I never once used, except to get discounts on office visits to private doctors. Last year when I turned 67, the company paid for some blood tests and an examination by one of their contracted physicians. My numbers weren't good enough for them, so they refused to renew my policy. In that case, being "de la tercera edad" did me no good, quite the opposite, in fact!

judithnpups

May 19, 2014, 3:56 PM

Post #7 of 9 (11436 views)

Shortcut

That's terrible about your insurance refusing to renew when there was a chance you might someday have needed it. My private insurance has gotten more expensive each year. I'm supposed to renew it next week, but I'm going to cancel. I'll have IMSS and Medicare (just the free version).
    Suerte.

La Isla

May 19, 2014, 4:21 PM

Post #8 of 9 (11432 views)

Shortcut

I was very angry and upset, especially when my insurance agent managed to abscond with my refund for a 6-month premium I had already paid! If I'm accepted by IMSS, I'll have the same coverage as you. Good health to both of us, and to esperanza too!

La Isla

May 21, 2014, 12:46 PM

Post #9 of 9 (11373 views)

Shortcut

I went to my local IMSS office (in Santa Maria La Ribera) this morning. The whole process, including travel time, took about three hours. Everyone who helped me was very pleasant and organized, a nice change from the human zoo that INM can sometimes resemble. The only annoying part of the process involved having to walk several loooong blocks in the hot sun to get to the bank, but that worked out fine in the end, as I didn't collapse from the heat and found a hole-in-the-wall papelería in the way back where I had copies made of the bank receipt.

I did have to fill out a medical history questionnaire, but no physical exam was required to be accepted. I had all the documents (with copies) that were required, but I did forget to bring a pen! Luckily, there were pens for sale at a little booth conveniently located in the waiting area. I was told to visit my assigned clinic in a couple of weeks to make sure I am in the system. Other than that, it's all done!

Thanks so much, Judith, for your very helpful posts and words of encouragement.

P.S. One more comment. When I first presented myself at the desk of the guy who handled my application and told him what I wanted, he told me that the policy was for a minimum of two people. I told him that I was single with no children, and any other relatives I had didn't live in Mexico. Then he gave me a form letter to sign which stated that I was making a legal declaration that I had no dependents. An hour or so later, when I was finishing up with him (after my hike to the bank), a young Mexican guy came over and said he wanted to apply for a policy just for himself. He was told in no uncertain terms that this would not be possible as the policy had changed this year. He wasn't offered the form letter to sign that was given to me. This seems like a strange sort of policy that would deny people health insurance they are willing to pay for.

(This post was edited by La Isla on May 21, 2014, 4:09 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4