Can't Post | Private Reply

Taken with a grain of salt....

rockydog85251

May 24, 2014, 9:18 PM

Post #3 of 18 (10139 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Some cost of living comparisons- -- Ajijic vs Seattle

We have 2 daughters that live in the Seattle area....those prices are not far off! It is amazing that they just keep going up. My daughter has been looking for a 1 BR apt. in the Renton or S. Bellevue area for under $1,200 and so far not much luck!
Willie

stevebrtx

May 25, 2014, 6:44 AM

Post #4 of 18 (10113 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Some cost of living comparisons- -- Ajijic vs Seattle

I've never been much of a "city" dweller and only lived in the burbs when necessary for a job. Same down here and now I'm going back to TX, I am closing on a 3 bdrm, 2 bath house on 1.3 acres about 50 miles NW of Austin a quarter mile from Lake Buchanan. PITI less than $500 a month. Includes a 4 car garage and two storage buildings. Retirement and NOT having to live somewhere does have its advantages, but then I'm just an old recluse.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

RickS

May 25, 2014, 7:01 PM

Post #5 of 18 (10053 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Some cost of living comparisons- -- Ajijic vs Seattle

Sounds nice. I"m wondering (since this is a cost-of-living thread) if you would share generally how much, percentage wise, what the down payment was that left a $500 mortgage. And I assume that it is a 30 year loan?

stevebrtx

May 25, 2014, 7:58 PM

Post #6 of 18 (10046 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Some cost of living comparisons- -- Ajijic vs Seattle

I'm going back probably for 18 months or so and then may sell and come back so I kept it simple. It's just a small place in the cheap seats. The area is low density with most having an acre or more. I got it for $75K and told them they had to throw in the washer/dryer and riding mower because I'm not going to mow the N forty with a weed whacker. It's a 30 year conv with 20% down and one of the keys was to get into Llano county where the taxes are much lower. The total tax is about $570 a year. The place has a new roof and gutters last year, new laminate floor last Fall and the garage is only about 4 years old, there are also two 2 car metal car ports, one of those will go, but overall it's a good deal. Austin, Travis county, real estate is on fire and taxes are high and going up, Burnet county just to the E is down to about 45 days of water, so all in all it will be something I can do some remodeling on and a bit of improvement and then we'll see if I stay or come back down. That's the double edge sword of retirement, I don't have to be anywhere.

playaboy

May 26, 2014, 7:32 AM

Post #7 of 18 (10016 views)

Shortcut

Good for you, I hope it works out for you.

NEOhio1

May 27, 2014, 9:38 AM

Post #8 of 18 (9951 views)

Shortcut

Just on the off chance you don't need all 4 garage spaces I am looking for a Texas (San Antonio or Austin) location to garage my Jaguar. I am paying about $500 US a year in Ajijic to garage it.

It doesn't have anything to do with my immigration status only that I would like to drive the van to Texas, drop it off and drive the Jag on stateside visits across country then return it to the garage and load up the van and come home. Probably do this twice a year. We enjoy driving. It's crazy, I know.

We are travelling north in mid-July. Send a number where I can reach you before you leave. Thanks.

stevebrtx

May 27, 2014, 10:25 AM

Post #9 of 18 (9944 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] Some cost of living comparisons- -- Ajijic vs Seattle

I'm paying $1100 a year right now in Marble Falls for a 10X30 that is full to the max with a car, wood shop tools and stuff, so that's part of what this is about, moving all that to the new place and starting to give away, donate, sell etc. So, the new place is full and I've not even arrived. We have too much stuff.

NEOhio1

May 31, 2014, 2:23 PM

Post #10 of 18 (9803 views)

Shortcut

Well shoot it was worth a try. I think I will just look this summer for a storage garage.

cristalhombre

Sep 10, 2014, 9:36 PM

Post #11 of 18 (8134 views)

Shortcut

I am late to this thread and probably have not read or posted on M/C for a couple years now. But I do have a 22 year old daughter living in Seattle as a nursing student. She lives just above the ID (international district) South Capitol Hill. She rents a 480 SF studio in a newer 7 story building within walking distance from school + PacMed. One room with a bath (basic studio with one window - boring street view) $1280 USD per month (includes water/sewer/trash). Electricity and Internet are extra, another $150 a month.

Urban Seattle is very expensive due to the expansion of Amazon.com and a few other high tech companies expanding inside the city (not the burbs). Expecting 9,000 new jobs in the urban center. Even at these prices - housing is tight.

Her rent is more than any mortgage payment I have ever had.

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

citlali

Sep 11, 2014, 7:47 AM

Post #12 of 18 (8095 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cristalhombre] Some cost of living comparisons- -- Ajijic vs Seattle

She should rethink Seatle, for that price she could liv in Paris , a city a whole lot more interesting with the same type of weather..

cristalhombre

Sep 11, 2014, 8:49 AM

Post #13 of 18 (8083 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Some cost of living comparisons- -- Ajijic vs Seattle

Considering I am paying the bills............ I would rather she relocate to rural Kansas - where you could probably rent something for 1/10th of the Seattle rates. However, getting into a high quality nursing program today is extremely competitive + challenging. Only 62 openings per semester in the BS-RN program. She is working hard and loving the learning - so I am OK with the fees of urban living. I have clearly informed her that she has 2 more years of parental philanthropy. (crossing my fingers anyway).

citlali

Sep 11, 2014, 9:04 AM

Post #14 of 18 (8072 views)

Shortcut

I know what you mean! Good luck only 2 years to go!

jreboll

Sep 11, 2014, 9:38 AM

Post #15 of 18 (8061 views)

Shortcut

Retired ICU nurse here. Once you're in the trenches nobody asks, nobody cares what school you went to.

cristalhombre

Sep 11, 2014, 10:45 AM

Post #16 of 18 (8047 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] Some cost of living comparisons- -- Ajijic vs Seattle

Don't disagree with you there. Nobody really checks on your pedigree once your "in".

BUT....... getting into the program is not easy. Only 6 BS-RN programs in the Seattle/Portland area. My guess is those 6 programs allow +/- 300 students per term. She was also accepted at Concordia Univ and they have one class "per year" of 42 students. With thousands of applicants and limited slots - you take what you can get. Supply and demand - clearly in play.

If there was a less expensive way - I would be all over it!

As a former nurse you are likely aware of the changes in education requirements in the field. As an example, Washington State will require that all RN's licensed after 2017 have a BSN or RNB degree, essentially a 4 year program. Locally, I am told our 3 hospital networks in Portland/Vancouver: Legacy, Providence and PeaceHealth all require a BSN for new hire "RN" nurses today.

The two year RN programs at the community colleges are phasing out and/or morphing into a BSN programs - from what I can see.

Therefore, with the new regulations, future nurses just have to roll with BSN game and pay the price. Well that's the way I see it. Pay now or pay later.

Very few options, but decent earnings potential down the road (I hope!!). She would like to move into an NP program down the road. She'll get to pay for that herself.

jreboll

Sep 11, 2014, 12:58 PM

Post #17 of 18 (8020 views)

Shortcut

You make good points. The field is getting more demanding with each passing year. On my way out I was seeing more emphasis on charting ,keeping up with computer data than with bedside nursing . My hospital had a 6-month orientation to new RNs coming in to the department

Lilmsmaggie

Sep 18, 2014, 12:57 PM

Post #18 of 18 (7799 views)

Shortcut

Amazing. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Seems like RN programs are perpetually impacted despite shortages (at least here in California). Back in the early '80's, most schools including Community college RN programs were impacted. I tried to get into Stanford's PA program for awhile (as did many of my friends). Finally gave up and went into IT instead.

Ironically where I work, there are a lot of former RN's that have since changed fields. We have one former RN who is an IT manager in my section. The program I support (Licensing & Certification), hires RN's as HFEN's (Health Facilities Evaluator Nurses.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/services/jobs/Pages/HFENJobs.aspx

From what I've seen since I was transferred to support LNC is that the HFEN's experience high turnover. Gee I wonder why ...

The education requirements are higher than for my IT position; they earn less and they work their keisters off.
Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4