Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

mexigrl

May 1, 2014, 11:29 PM

Post #1 of 5 (3044 views)

Shortcut

Getting permit online, where do I get tourist visa?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi,

I'll be crossing in N.L. It's been years since I drove due to all the issues at the border, hopefully I'm making the right decision this time!

I will order my car permit online, seems to be a decent system and will save me the permit station in NL. However, I'm confused about how to obtain my tourist visa. I have to sign up online with immigration before I can get the car permit and it seems as if I have to exchange something (paperwork?) at the border for my FMT. If memory serves I didn't stop once I went over the border until I hit the customs check point.

From reading it seems people are getting to customs and then realizing they don't have the proper documentation. Can someone explain the exact procedure and also the easiest way to do this?

Thank you!

Lauri

RickS

May 2, 2014, 5:35 AM

Post #2 of 5 (3022 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexigrl] Getting permit online, where do I get tourist visa?

Unless something has changed recently, one can just 'show up' at the border Immigracion and get the 180-day Tourist Card (no longer called an FMT). You may be thinking about the process to obtain a 'residency' card similar to the old FM2/3. There are stricter requirements for the Residente Temporal and, yes, it must be started at a Consulate in the US.

mexigrl

May 16, 2014, 9:06 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2823 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Getting permit online, where do I get tourist visa?

Previously I would go get my TIP for my car once crossing into NL. Now I will have it ahead of time. So, my question is what exactly do I need to do once I cross the border? Will I still need to find that station and stop to get a tourist permit or is there some other way? I'd prefer to just get through NL as quickly as possible and that is why I'm planning to do the online TIP. However, if I have to stop at the same place anyways then it hardly seems worth it.

Thanks

RickS

May 17, 2014, 7:06 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2802 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexigrl] Getting permit online, where do I get tourist visa?

Yes, you will still have to stop at the usual place to obtain your tourist visa. Obtaining the TIP online is a convenience to not have to wait in that line also.

jessicajem

May 20, 2014, 12:56 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2718 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Getting permit online, where do I get tourist visa?

Thanks for sharing information.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4