Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

chrisgruen

May 1, 2014, 12:12 AM

Post #1 of 7 (4161 views)

Shortcut

Best hassle/wait time free border crossing from TX to MX?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi all,

Just wondering what the best hassle/wait time free border crossing is from TX to MX?
I did look at Calit site for wait times, but the least harassment for crossing is even more important.
Not interested if it is further west that Del Rio as that would be too far west for us, and not interested in the low Rio Valley--maybe Laredo or Eagle pass?
We will be coming from San Antonio TX, headed to Monterrey, then south from there.
Haven't been through the border via auto since the late '80's, so I know a lot has changed. Any good advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Chris and Family

donemry

May 1, 2014, 7:49 AM

Post #2 of 7 (4142 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chrisgruen] Best hassle/wait time free border crossing from TX to MX?

The Colombia crossing is pretty easy use, the visa and car permits are in the same building and is not usually busy. You take the toll road at exit 24 on IH 35 to get there. There is not toll booth, Texas will send you a bill for the toll.

It is a little longer trip to Monterrey that using the crossings in Laredo though.

chrisgruen

May 1, 2014, 5:07 PM

Post #3 of 7 (4089 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] Best hassle/wait time free border crossing from TX to MX?

Thanks Donemry.
How is the Laredo crossing?

Altahabana

May 2, 2014, 9:00 AM

Post #4 of 7 (4047 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chrisgruen] Best hassle/wait time free border crossing from TX to MX?

I'm not aware of a website that gives waiting time for border crossings into Mexico, but there is seldom any wait to cross at the Laredo area bridges outside of holiday travel seasons.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hassle," but in my experience there is not a lot of difference between the three area bridges in Laredo. There is a pinned thread at the top of the travel page that gives good directions on how to find the immigration/permit station that service the two downtown Laredo bridges. Again outside of peak holiday seasons there are not long waits.

I have never been a fan of Columbia bridge which the other poster mentioned. It adds miles to your trip and is an area that I, as a local resident, try to avoid.

Bridge II in Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras is an option. The immigration/permit station is 30 miles south of Piedras near the town of Allende and is right on Highway 57. But I would not recommend it if you plan to spend some time in Monterrey.

mazbeach

May 2, 2014, 11:37 AM

Post #5 of 7 (4028 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Best hassle/wait time free border crossing from TX to MX?

Here's a web site that might have what you're looking for. It also gives the hours for each crossing. The times are for southbound. If you use the dropdown menus at the top it will give you northbound also.

http://traffic.calit2.net/...ssing-wait-times.php

I noticed that it seems to also be available for your smartphone.

(This post was edited by Rolly on May 2, 2014, 12:52 PM)

Altahabana

May 2, 2014, 2:03 PM

Post #6 of 7 (4006 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] Best hassle/wait time free border crossing from TX to MX?

Not to quibble but that web site only gives wait times to cross from Mexico to the US. In the FAQ, it says they do not provide wait times for entering Mexico.

In any case, it doesn't make a lot of difference because the only time there is any appreciable delay in crossing to Mexico in Laredo is during Mexican and US holiday seasons.

chrisgruen

May 5, 2014, 3:26 PM

Post #7 of 7 (3903 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Best hassle/wait time free border crossing from TX to MX?

Thank you all for your help and the information!

(This post was edited by chrisgruen on May 5, 2014, 3:27 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4