Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Altahabana

Apr 30, 2014, 4:53 PM

Post #1 of 10 (5284 views)

Shortcut

Upsurge of Violence in Tamaulipas

Can't Post | Private Reply
I hesitated to post this, but I will since people do occasionally ask about the security situation along the border and this type of activity gets little coverage outside the immediate area. The Mexican side of the border from Falcon Lake downriver to Matamoros has become increasingly violent over the past month. It peaked yesterday in Reynosa which experienced several incidents that left at least two innocent bystanders dead. There have also been more problems than usual in Tampico and Ciudad Victoria.

Most of this seems to be related to infighting within the Gulf cartel, the group that controls those areas. This article in the Brownsville paper gives some insight into what is going on.

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/...01-0017a43b2370.html

(This post was edited by Rolly on Apr 30, 2014, 9:54 PM)

playaboy

Apr 30, 2014, 6:18 PM

Post #2 of 10 (5261 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Upsurge of Violence in Tamaulipas

Thanks, I appreciate the heads up.

robt65

Apr 30, 2014, 7:31 PM

Post #3 of 10 (5250 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Altahabana,

Definitely not making any more late departures from Reynosa. I am headed back up around the end of May. Will write a report on that trip. Damn, I hate reaching into that old "bean jar"!
Even though my late departure last time (about two weeks ago) it was an uneventful trip, There was a definite increase in Federales and they seemed to be stopping cars (especially SUV's and crew cabs than I have seen in quite a while). Seems it's time to be extra alert again.

Regards,
Robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Apr 30, 2014, 7:34 PM)

darrellk

May 1, 2014, 6:09 AM

Post #4 of 10 (5214 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Upsurge of Violence in Tamaulipas

thanks for the heads up also.
When I came across Tuesday through Laredo all was clear but a lot of military and federals on the road.

Altahabana

May 1, 2014, 10:58 AM

Post #5 of 10 (5180 views)

Shortcut

Re: [darrellk] Upsurge of Violence in Tamaulipas

There isn't any cartel infighting or cartel vs cartel violence in Nuevo Laredo. It's been relatively quiet here for a while.

darrellk

May 1, 2014, 3:52 PM

Post #6 of 10 (5147 views)

Shortcut

Why all the military and federals and check point after check point? (the most I've seen ever in 15 plus minus years)

(This post was edited by darrellk on May 1, 2014, 3:53 PM)

Altahabana

May 1, 2014, 4:41 PM

Post #7 of 10 (5140 views)

Shortcut

"Why all the military and federals and check point after check point?"

I assume you are talking about Nuevo Laredo and the adjoining areas. The Zetas are still here and just as active as before in their core businesses.

The military has a low profile but aggressive interdiction policy. They profile during their patrols and if they guess right it can get pretty ugly. It does seem to have a deterrent effect. The patrols are something you just have to adjust to if you live in Tamaulipas.

darrellk

May 1, 2014, 8:14 PM

Post #8 of 10 (5121 views)

Shortcut

Sorry I took your " It's been relatively quiet here for a while." as if nothing is happening. I have talked to several locals and they say they are active. I hope things clear up soon. It is such a shame to see abandoned homes and such.

Altahabana

May 7, 2014, 11:04 AM

Post #9 of 10 (4985 views)

Shortcut

The recent violence continued on Monday and Tuesday in Reynosa, Matamoros and Ciudad Victoria. I'm not clear what is causing it.

http://www.milenio.com/policia/muertos_Tamaulipas-inseguridad_Tamaulipas-violencia_Tamaulipas-enfrentamientos_Tamaulipas_0_293371154.html

http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?list=195030&id=1040686#.U2p0Y4FdUQl

http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?list=195030&id=1040136#.U2p0uIFdUQk

Altahabana

May 17, 2014, 5:06 AM

Post #10 of 10 (4791 views)

Shortcut

The Pena Nieto adminstration announced this week through interior minister Osario Chong that the government was militarizing the state of Tamaulipas and assuming control of security. This has been coming for a while and it might have been hastened by public protests and demonstrations that took place in Tampico and Ciudad Victoria this week.

This does not affect the civilian side of the justice system, but expect to see even more tropos out in the open. The level of violence in the northeast, central and southern parts of the state has dramatically escalated over the past two or three months. Nuevo Laredo has not been affected and has remained quiet, in large part because the Zetas have been in disarray after the two leaders of the cartel were killed and captured .

http://www.vanguardia.com.mx/...aulipas-2020434.html

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4