Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

revtum

Apr 21, 2014, 12:34 PM

Post #1 of 7 (3846 views)

Shortcut

Guanajuato hotel

Can't Post | Private Reply
Want to make a trip to the city of Guanajuato, can anyone suggest a good hotel or two for a family? Hopefully in walking distance of the historical downtown, but don't mind otherwise if it's a better option. Thanks.

paloblanco

Apr 26, 2014, 2:39 PM

Post #2 of 7 (3738 views)

Shortcut

Re: [revtum] Guanajuato hotel

Casa Bertha! Excellent location. Terrific owners. It is a hostel but we were graciously given a room (with bunkbeds and two double beds) to ourselves. We had our own bathroom as well. Just let them know what you are looking for. They have a rooftop patio with an incredible view of the city. In addition they have refrigerators and stove tops if you want to do some of your own cooking. It's tucked away in some callejons just a block or two behind the Teatro Principal. Google them. Or check them out on Trip Advisor. They get great reviews there.

robt65

Apr 26, 2014, 6:37 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3702 views)

Shortcut

Re: [paloblanco] Guanajuato hotel

That's a great resource . . . . thanks As I recall almost everything in Guanajuato has steps, but are there a lot of steps up to that private room for a family? Care to share the nightly rack rate? What about off street parking for ones vehicle? Any places to eat that you would like to share? Just asking.

Thanks again for the information on that hotel.

Regards,
Robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Apr 26, 2014, 6:39 PM)

chinagringo

Apr 26, 2014, 7:02 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3696 views)

Shortcut

Re: [revtum] Guanajuato hotel

Back in Feb., we stayed at: http://www.booking.com/...6121687b486f3468bX27

Great view, great location but lousy hard beds!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by Rolly on Apr 26, 2014, 7:25 PM)

paloblanco

Apr 27, 2014, 9:12 AM

Post #5 of 7 (3643 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Guanajuato hotel

We were there in January. I believe the room was $450Pesos. Some rooms are cheaper. Prices might be on a per person basis. You'll find that rooms in Guanajuato are expensive, especially this close to the center of town. This is quite a deal, I think. Casa Bertha has about 13 rooms. We were on the top, in the "penthouse", half a level above the rooftop patio. Plenty of stairs which were metal grating---you could see down through the stairs to the bottom level. But very safe. There are rooms on lower levels than ours. The rooms are not fancy, but they are comfortable. Our bathroom was great. They ask you to give them 15 minutes warning when you want to take a shower and they will have the water nice and hot for you. From the Teatro Prinicpal you walk up, then climb some stairs, walk up some more to Plaza Maxiamora, then down a callejon to the hotel. There are signs, thankfully. I don't believe any hotels in downtown Guanajuato have parking. We took buses to there from Patzcuaro. I know there are a number of parking lots but can't give you any information. The best thing to do is to contact the two men who run Casa Bertha, I have forgotten their names. I found them on Facebook and sent them a message via Facebook. They replied quickly to each of my queries. I reserved the room in advance and they were expecting us when we arrived. We can't wait to go back.

(This post was edited by paloblanco on Apr 27, 2014, 9:47 AM)

chinagringo

Apr 27, 2014, 11:58 AM

Post #6 of 7 (3621 views)

Shortcut

Re: [paloblanco] Guanajuato hotel

" I don't believe any hotels in downtown Guanajuato have parking."

Since you traveled by bus, I can understand this assumption. Just as an example, the Hotel Luna and Hotel Posada Santa Fe which sit right on the Jardin de la Union have parking directly behind their buildings which are accessed from the street that runs parallel to the Jardin. The Hotel San Diego also has on site parking. In fact, Booking.com lists 37 hotels in Guanajuato with on site parking.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

hunteradvisor

May 18, 2014, 7:50 PM

Post #7 of 7 (3371 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Guanajuato parking

There is good, secure parking next to the VIPS right near the town center and many hotels. You should never park in a non guarded parking area these days.
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4