Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

JuanCha

Apr 18, 2014, 9:07 AM

Post #1 of 22 (9757 views)

Shortcut

Mexico Airline Article: Mexicana, Interjet, etc.

Can't Post | Private Reply
The current, April 13, issue of the weekly Proceso magazine has an interesting article about the "rest of the story" re the failed Mexicana airline. The article alleges that a few Mexicano tycoons (Azcarraga, a cousin of the Televisa billionaire; Aleman, the descendant of a famous ex-President of Mexico; etc) systematically liquidated Mexicana airline while investing in the newer Interjet airline. Proceso is available at most Oxxo stores and many news stands (as well as via Intenet); Proceso often has well-documented investigative journalism articles.
JuanCha de: Santa Fe NM, San Cristobal de Las Casas Chiapas, San Diego CA

Aaron+

Apr 18, 2014, 9:59 AM

Post #2 of 22 (9736 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JuanCha] Mexico Airline Article: Mexicana, Interjet, etc.

Liquidated in the sense of destroying Mexicana; perhaps a better word to describe the fraud committed by these super-rich principal owners: looted? The Proceso article of April 16 (in Spanish; you can use Google translate) may be found at
http://www.proceso.com.mx/?p=369834, read well into the story to read the magazine's findings.

jessicajem

May 20, 2014, 1:03 AM

Post #3 of 22 (9363 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Mexico Airline Article: Mexicana, Interjet, etc.

Inter jet served Mexico City only through the regions secondary airport in Toluca, which is not a short drive from the city center. With no practical public transportation from Mexico City to Toluca and at least an hour’s drive in hectic Mexico City traffic, Inter jet needed to move in order to gain preference with passengers.

[Toucan renamed Toluca by TB]

(This post was edited by tonyburton on May 20, 2014, 11:24 AM)

princeleonardo

Jun 7, 2014, 10:12 PM

Post #4 of 22 (9076 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jessicajem] Mexico Airline Article: Mexicana, Interjet, etc.

The airline operates scheduled flights to Mexico (38), Caribbean (1), Central America (2), North America (5), and South America (1) out of Benito Juárez International Airport in Mexico City and Lic. Adolfo López Mateos International Airport in Toluca. It is wholly owned by the Aleman Group.[3] It is one of the first regular low-cost airlines of Mexico and claims to offer the most extensive domestic network compared to its competitors.
http://insuranceadviseronline.com/

Aaron+

Jun 9, 2014, 8:59 AM

Post #5 of 22 (9023 views)

Shortcut

Re: [princeleonardo] Mexico Airline Article: Mexicana, Interjet, etc.

Beware flying Interjet! You may become confused as to what year you are in.

Sure, they have an update fleet of planes, but the experience in their planes takes you back to the days when even tall folks could sit in a plane with inches to spare rather than being cramped, usual ontime take-offs and arrivals (depending on the weather), etc. Want a drink, even a beer or stronger? Keep your credit card in your wallet, the beverage is free. (Ok, so no meal service, just a snack.) A feature I have not seen elsewhere -- one of the rear toilets is reserved for women; no having to deal with the misdirected stream of male urine!

Oh, and on arrival in Merida, an Interjet employee checked to vierify that the luggage we were about to carry out matched our Intejet baggage receipts. It always concerns me when no such check takes place. (That either did not happen in Mexico City, or I inadvertently bypassed such an inspection.)

No, I am not a stockholder or employee of the line! Just came back after a really pleasant roundtrip Merida-Mexico City. Oh, and I enjoyed my 20% discount for being 60 years of age or older. (If you do not have an INAPAM card, your passport can suffice as a proof of age, among other qualifying official documents.) If you sign up for their frequent flyer program, by email you will get announcements of their sales, etc.

Too bad they do not fly to where I go in the USA. (JFK in NY does not do it for me, --just too difficult and time consuming to get to and from that miserable airport.)

chinagringo

Jun 9, 2014, 11:11 AM

Post #6 of 22 (9013 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the positive report. We are trying Interjet for the first time San Antonio - Guadalajara. One minor correction, I believe the senior discount starts at 65?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

citlali

Jun 10, 2014, 6:00 PM

Post #7 of 22 (8968 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Mexico Airline Article: Mexicana, Interjet, etc.

INAPAM is for 60 yearold and older, I do not know what they do for non Mexico resident.

esperanza

Jun 11, 2014, 6:44 AM

Post #8 of 22 (8939 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks for the positive report. We are trying Interjet for the first time San Antonio - Guadalajara. One minor correction, I believe the senior discount starts at 65?

The Interjet 20% senior discount is available for people over 65. The airline does not give an INAPAM discount.

And I agree completely: Interjet is the best airline out there. If you think the national (within Mexico) flights are good, you should try the international flights. WOW!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jun 11, 2014, 6:45 AM)

Aaron+

Jun 12, 2014, 7:58 AM

Post #9 of 22 (8876 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Mexico Airline Article: Mexicana, Interjet, etc.

Oops, yes, the Interjet 20% discount starts for those 65 and over. When the discount was first announced, in 2010, the airline apparently did use 60 as the minimum age.

While perhaps technically not an "INAPAM discount," whatever that means, that card is used as one of the proofs of age acceptable by Interjet, Aero Mexico, and Magnicharters, per a press report,
http://www.reportur.com/...ico-y-magnicharters/
which notes that the other two airlines offer a senior discount between 10-15%. The report did not mention Volaris. (Volaris service out of Merida is inconvenient, sparse for me, so of no interest.)

A May 2013 release from the national office responsible for Inapam clearly lists the airline discounts as well as certain other discounts as the result of agreements between that office and the service providers. The report added Aeromar to airlines providing discounts to INAPAM holders, but did not mention the charter line See: http://yucatan.com.mx/...para-adultos-mayores

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Jun 14, 2014, 6:01 PM

Post #10 of 22 (8802 views)

Shortcut

Re: Interjet to end service to Southern California

A wee heads-up...as of July 20, Interjet will discontinue its once-a-day service from Mexico City and Guadalajara to John Wayne Airport located in Orange County, south of Los Angeles, Alta California.

Click on this link to read more details:

Interjet ends Mexico flights at John Wayne

FYI,

-- K.H.

The Disciple lamented, "Master! Why is my life beset with problems?!"
The Master observed, "Only tourists step in dog droppings."

chinagringo

Jun 14, 2014, 6:05 PM

Post #11 of 22 (8799 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kimpatsu Hekigan] Interjet to end service to Southern California

It also appears that they are revising service to/from Las Vegas?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

AlanMexicali

Jun 14, 2014, 6:06 PM

Post #12 of 22 (8799 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Oops, yes, the Interjet 20% discount starts for those 65 and over. When the discount was first announced, in 2010, the airline apparently did use 60 as the minimum age.

While perhaps technically not an "INAPAM discount," whatever that means, that card is used as one of the proofs of age acceptable by Interjet, Aero Mexico, and Magnicharters, per a press report,
http://www.reportur.com/...ico-y-magnicharters/
which notes that the other two airlines offer a senior discount between 10-15%. The report did not mention Volaris. (Volaris service out of Merida is inconvenient, sparse for me, so of no interest.)

A May 2013 release from the national office responsible for Inapam clearly lists the airline discounts as well as certain other discounts as the result of agreements between that office and the service providers. The report added Aeromar to airlines providing discounts to INAPAM holders, but did not mention the charter line See: http://yucatan.com.mx/...para-adultos-mayores

Volaris has no senior discounts on national flights when I last checked in April- Interjet had 15% for INAPAM at that time on the national flights I was checking. I am under 65.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Jun 14, 2014, 6:07 PM)

chinagringo

Jun 14, 2014, 6:34 PM

Post #13 of 22 (8792 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Mexico Airline Article: Mexicana, Interjet, etc.

The fact that I receive a 20% discount since I am over 65 means very little to me! On a daily basis, I read people bragging on just how low a price they found on the airfare while totally disregarding booking fees, seat assignment fees, luggage fees and on board services fees. Volaris started off on the right foot a few years back but have now bastardized themselves by charging for everything! We are trying Interjet for the first time in August and so far I am impressed. But I certainly am not foolish enough to believe that things won't change down the road.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

esperanza

Jun 15, 2014, 12:47 PM

Post #14 of 22 (8753 views)

Shortcut

Alan, Interjet gives a 20% discount to people over 65.

When Volaris started, 25% of its shares were owned by Carlos Slim, 25% by Emilio Azcárrraga Jean, the owner of Televisa, and the rest by diverse people.

In 2010, Carlos Slim and Sr. Azcárraga sold their interests in Volaris for $160 million US dollars.

The quality of Volaris's service began to decline at that time and has just about touched bottom. YMMV, but not by much.

AlanMexicali

Jun 15, 2014, 1:21 PM

Post #15 of 22 (8746 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Alan, Interjet gives a 20% discount to people over 65.

When Volaris started, 25% of its shares were owned by Carlos Slim, 25% by Emilio Azcárrraga Jean, the owner of Televisa, and the rest by diverse people.

In 2010, Carlos Slim and Sr. Azcárraga sold their interests in Volaris for $160 million US dollars.

The quality of Volaris's service began to decline at that time and has just about touched bottom. YMMV, but not by much.

I asked my wife and you are correct. We are both under 65 and no discount with INAPAM on Interjet. She said it is 15% off AeroMexico with an INAPAM card.

We paid on Volaris´website during a 50% off sale to Cancun from San Luis Potosí, $4550.00 pesos round trip for 2. [$91. US each way]. One of my wife´s nieces is getting married in Playa del Carmen in Nov.

We don´t fall for any of the extra charges like their website "tries" to get you to do unsuspectedly.

No seat selection charge, no extra baggage charge, no boarding pass charge.

We wait until 24 hours from flight time and select a seat and print the boarding pass for free and unclick the nasty automatic extra bag box before paying with a debit card and refuse all the add ons at that time.

We also have been back and forth from SLP to TJ 2X for $95.00 US each way and Guadalajara to TJ 1X for $100.00 US each way this year on Volaris. I actually like their grilled chicken sub and large bag of chips and 20oz. refresco for $95.00 peos compared to their used to be free 45 gram snack bags or 4 cookies for children and a can of refresco. My wife and I share it as the plane leaves TJ at 2:30 AM for SLP and we arrive at the TJ airport before 10:30 PM on the Volaris shuttle from downtown San Diego.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Jun 15, 2014, 1:35 PM)

smith12

Jun 16, 2014, 9:54 PM

Post #16 of 22 (8690 views)

Shortcut

NIce thread getting so information here.
Vacation Sites Share Experience Photo Sharing Sites

JuanCha

Jun 16, 2014, 10:16 PM

Post #17 of 22 (8681 views)

Shortcut

Re: [smith12] Mexico Airline Article: Mexicana, Interjet, etc.

I did another more detailed post here on Mexconnect re mex airlines, and Volaris in particular.

I am grudgingly flying Volaris, yet again, but there are so many negative changes w. Volaris: changing policies, unclear policies, lousy phone and agent service, poor flight on-time record, etc etc.

(I just had a few more problems this week w. Volaris by phone and don't look forward to travel this week via Volaris - sadly, the only non-stop choice for my current destination).

BUUT, Volaris offers seemingly attractive fares and increases in flight routes.

Just beware of Volaris and Vivaaerobus airlines; Interjet is MUCH better.

AlanMexicali

Jun 17, 2014, 5:06 AM

Post #18 of 22 (8671 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I did another more detailed post here on Mexconnect re mex airlines, and Volaris in particular.

I am grudgingly flying Volaris, yet again, but there are so many negative changes w. Volaris: changing policies, unclear policies, lousy phone and agent service, poor flight on-time record, etc etc.

(I just had a few more problems this week w. Volaris by phone and don't look forward to travel this week via Volaris - sadly, the only non-stop choice for my current destination).

BUUT, Volaris offers seemingly attractive fares and increases in flight routes.

Just beware of Volaris and Vivaaerobus airlines; Interjet is MUCH better.

If you check Volaris´website regularly and know when you are flying they quite often have a 30% off fare and I only once in dozens of return flights was very late. That time going to Mexicali they had us on the tarmac in Guadalajara backing up from the gate and the plane made a loud noise when they were running the check with the wing flaps.

We were then exited back out of the plane and the Volaris Reps. gave out free lunch vouchers for that expensive restaurant on the arrival/departure salón we were at. I waited in line for one hour and they ran out of vouchers after about 1 hour and only 1/2 the people got one, I didn´t. We waited there for 2 hours until a plane came in from Monterrery, unloaded and we got on.

Another time the plane was 35 minutes late doing a turnaround trip from Guadalajara to Mexicali and we left late but arrived only about 15 minutes late in Guadalajara.

They were on time the other about 50 flights. We have been using them since 2007.

esperanza

Jun 17, 2014, 6:02 AM

Post #19 of 22 (8656 views)

Shortcut

"On time" is an interesting concept for Volaris. Their on-time arrival policy is yet another option available for purchase. Here's the link that explains it:
http://volaris.com/...e_puntualidad_en.pdf

As AlanMexicali said, Volaris gets you to your destination on time about 99% of the time. Sounds great, right? The deal is that they give themselves about 30 minutes extra time on flight arrivals--in other words, their schedule might say that the flight departs GDL at 10.30AM to arrive in Tijuana at 1:30PM, but unbeknownst to you, the actual flight time is 30 minutes shorter. It would be a rare event--something like the event Alan mentioned--that the plane would arrive late to its destination.

The on-time arrival policy used to be free. Not now--it costs 70 pesos to purchase a policy that you will rarely if ever cash in.

AlanMexicali

Jun 17, 2014, 6:34 AM

Post #20 of 22 (8650 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
"On time" is an interesting concept for Volaris. Their on-time arrival policy is yet another option available for purchase. Here's the link that explains it:
http://volaris.com/...e_puntualidad_en.pdf

As AlanMexicali said, Volaris gets you to your destination on time about 99% of the time. Sounds great, right? The deal is that they give themselves about 30 minutes extra time on flight arrivals--in other words, their schedule might say that the flight departs GDL at 10.30AM to arrive in Tijuana at 1:30PM, but unbeknownst to you, the actual flight time is 30 minutes shorter. It would be a rare event--something like the event Alan mentioned--that the plane would arrive late to its destination.

The on-time arrival policy used to be free. Not now--it costs 70 pesos to purchase a policy that you will rarely if ever cash in.

Years ago the on time policy was free with the second level tickets which also had 22 kilo checked luggage instead of level 3 tickets, the cheapest, which only had 15 kilo checked luggage on national flights and as you can guess there was about on average a $400 peso price rise.

When they went to 22 kilos on all checked luggage not that long ago the on time guarantee became an optional fee.

When we were 2 hours late on the departure from Guadalajara I checked it out and had the cheapest ticket so didn´t qualify for the on time.

Funny story: I was in the " salón de espera" in the Mexicali airport and usually am the only Americano there. The odd time there is one. One time an Americano shows up 10 minuted before flight time there. His flight on AreoMexico was loaded and ready for takeoff and they were closing the doors and he starts yelling and ranting at the 2 people at the Aeromexico pódium and demands, all in English, they let him get on the plane. It was leaving at that time 10 minutes early. The people were enjoying his outrage and the ones sitting close to me were asking what is he saying.

He went on for about 20 minutes until the plane was out of sight. He was very angry and the one Mexican said "Doesn´t he know you have to be here about 60 to 90 minutes before the departure time in Mexico?"

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Jun 17, 2014, 6:35 AM)

JuanCha

Jun 17, 2014, 9:31 AM

Post #21 of 22 (8623 views)

Shortcut

Well, Alan, we agree to disagree re Volaris.

I have been flying within and to/from Mexico since waaay before 2007, and probably more often than most since 2007. I have seen Volaris recently deteriorate substantially.

I am not the stereotypical up-tight Ugly American, and believe I am a patient and polite 70 year old who has spoken Spanish for all his life (I am Mexicano-Americano and tutor Spanish and English For Spanish Speakers); so it is not a language issue nor "understanding of Volaris' (oft-changing) policies" matter. It is just my MANY negative recent experiences w. Volaris within the last 1+ years.

Ya he dicho todo que quiero sobre Volaris para ahora - I'll vote with my feet and do all I can to avoid Volaris until there are solid indicators that Volaris is reversing what I perceive to be their current downward spiral re service, and I hope they do.

Paz y suerte.

(This post was edited by JuanCha on Jun 17, 2014, 9:34 AM)

chinagringo

Jun 17, 2014, 11:23 AM

Post #22 of 22 (8606 views)

Shortcut

Won't comment regarding domestic flights but totally agree with JuanCha! My first flight (LAX - GDL) with Volaris was in 2011 and I was very complimentary of the airline after that experience. Our most recent flight (SAT - GDL) with Volaris was in Feb. of this year. The deterioration of service and pro customer policies has been quite noticeable. Basically, we have placed Volaris in the same category with US Airways as an airline to avoid.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4