Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

revtum

Apr 14, 2014, 9:50 AM

Post #1 of 6 (3909 views)

Shortcut

Travel to Mexico City via McAllen-Monterrey-etc

Can't Post | Private Reply
Planning summer travel to Mexico City from McAllen via Monterrey-Saltillo-Matehuala-San Luis Potosi-Querétero, etc., I've driven McAllen-Monterrey plenty, but haven't Monterrey-Querétaro, in a few years. Any info on those who have would be greatly appreciated. General "safety" (I'm not one of those super "paranoid" to travel to Mexico, just take my precautions as I do when I travel anywhere), road quality, clean rest/gas stops, etc. Many thanks!

RickS

Apr 14, 2014, 1:21 PM

Post #2 of 6 (3889 views)

Shortcut

Re: [revtum] Travel to Mexico City via McAllen-Monterrey-etc

That route as you know is all freeway/toll and is probably traveled by thousands daily. In addition to being a route traveled by many Mexicans, much of it is traveled by Gringos from the two most populated havens SOB, San Miguel de Allende and Lake Chapala (the latter at least from San Luis Potosi north). As such, any significant problems get highly publicized on the forums etc. The biggest problem I've heard of over the last few years is some errant police stops around Potosi. Just watch the speed limits posted on the bypass there and make sure you have all of your personal/car permits readily available.

I and others I know have traveled that road several times over the last few years with little or no problems. It is a very good highway with plenty of Pemex stations available. It is, of course, toll. Later when you have decided your timeline, check back and ask for motel recommendations along the way. This will depend on the time you decide to cross the border heading south.

fpeg

Apr 15, 2014, 9:42 AM

Post #3 of 6 (3847 views)

Shortcut

I travel from san luis potosi to laredo and back every week. Rte 57 has never been a problem. The route 2 from reynosa to Monterrey can be a problem. From Laredo to Mexico city is mostly cuota if you wish. I travel to Laredo at night and have never in 51\2 years had a problem. With a tip car in the beginning, we were stopped at most of the check points. Now , with mex.plates no one bothers us. We just came back on Monday. We travel this route 30 times a year.

VitaBella

Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 PM

Post #4 of 6 (3802 views)

Shortcut

"(I'm not one of those super "paranoid" to travel to Mexico, just take my precautions as I do when I travel anywhere) "

I'm also Not paranoid but, I also do not have " my head in the sand " as so many expats do. (at least that's what they say).

I suggest, as most wise people would - do NOT drive after dark And stay on the Cuoto's Only.

Be aware of your surroundings, which, of course, may also apply to most places outside of Mexico.

princeleonardo

Jun 7, 2014, 10:06 PM

Post #5 of 6 (3172 views)

Shortcut

Re: [VitaBella] Travel to Mexico City via McAllen-Monterrey-etc

Planning summer travel to Mexico City from McAllen via Monterrey-Saltillo-Matehuala-San Luis Potosi-Querétero, etc., I've driven McAllen-Monterrey plenty, but haven't Monterrey-Querétaro, in a few years. Any info on those who have would be greatly appreciated. General "safety" (I'm not one of those super "paranoid" to travel to Mexico, just take my precautions as I do when I travel anywhere), road quality, clean rest/gas stops, etc. Many thanks!
http://insuranceadviseronline.com/

RickS

Jun 8, 2014, 6:14 AM

Post #6 of 6 (3155 views)

Shortcut

Re: [princeleonardo] Travel to Mexico City via McAllen-Monterrey-etc

The highways from Monterrey to Queretaro are porbably the most used access to Mexico from Texas. It is all 4-lane and often cuota. You should have no problem making that trip. Pemex stations abound. Once you decide on your itinerary timing, check back for info on motels along the way.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4