Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Estrella Lopez

Apr 13, 2014, 2:25 PM

Post #1 of 7 (3416 views)

Shortcut

Driving to the US

Can't Post | Private Reply
My husband and I will be driving our Mexican plated pick-up to the US at the end of April. I have read the previous threads and I think we will take the Eagle Pass crossing. It will add 90 miles to our trip, but less traffic on the road and at the border makes up for it. I have a couple questions.

1. Good place to spend the night before crossing in the morning?
2. Hours that the border is open?
3. Upon returning to MX, what can not be brought back with us? Seeds, groceries, etc.

Thank you for any and all information to help our trip be more comfortable.

robt65

Apr 14, 2014, 5:11 AM

Post #2 of 7 (3364 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Estrella Lopez] Driving to the US

Hello Sra. Lopez,

You fail to provide departure and arrival cities. This helps a lot in helping you with information. Look here for bridge crossing information http://traffic.calit2.net/...ssing-wait-times.php and here http://traffic.calit2.net/...dard&port=230302

As far as what can and cannot be brought into the USA check here https://help.cbp.gov/...the-u.s.-from-mexico This will give you a full list of what can and cannot be brought into the USA. pork in any form right now is a no-no. My friend had his deep fried pork skins confiscated last month as he had opened the bag and had already eaten a few.

Sorry, I cannot help you out about hotels as I have not crossed there in a very long time, and have no such current information for you about that subject..

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,
Robt65

Aaron+

Apr 14, 2014, 9:28 AM

Post #3 of 7 (3326 views)

Shortcut

For hotels and b&b in Piedras Negras (facing Eagle Pass), one info source is
http://www.tripadvisor.com/...n_Mexico-Hotels.html.

While communicating with a hotel, ask them if they know when the border is open, altho I suspect the hours are very generous.

Altahabana

Apr 14, 2014, 1:23 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3298 views)

Shortcut

Bridge II in Eagle Pass is open 24/7. There is no reason to stay in Piedras for the night and cross in the morning. Monclova is 2 1/2 hours south of Piedras and is the only place in Coahuila I would recommend staying.

playaboy

Apr 14, 2014, 1:29 PM

Post #5 of 7 (3297 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Driving to the US

Are you including Saltillo?

RickS

Apr 14, 2014, 1:37 PM

Post #6 of 7 (3296 views)

Shortcut

The location to do your 'immigration' and Aduana paperwork, if you need any, is south of Piedras in Allende. Easy to spot right on the road. Going north and south at that point, be sure and use the 'short' toll road between Sabinas and Allende and not the libre.

I always spend the night in Monclova going north as it is a convenient stop after a full day's travel for me. Nice town and a number of nice motels and hotels and restaurants. Sabinas also has some motels but I've not stayed there and I've never stayed in Piedras.

P.S. The 57 hiway from Saltillo up to Monclova is very good BUT it has no Pemex stations (well, there is one new one out in the boonies but wasn't open my last trip through) so make sure you have a full tank of gas.

(This post was edited by RickS on Apr 14, 2014, 1:39 PM)

Altahabana

Apr 14, 2014, 1:50 PM

Post #7 of 7 (3289 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Driving to the US

I didn't mean to exclude Saltillo and it is a very good place to stay. I just assumed by the question that the OP intended to get much closer to the border than Saltillo which is a good 5 + hour drive from Piedras.

Logistically you either get to Monclova and overnight or else press on to the border and cross. The vibe in the smaller towns between Monclova and Piedras---Sabinas, Allende, Nava---is a little too creepy for me.

Bridge II in Piedras/Eagle Pass---the newer bridge---is open 24/7. But you shouldn't be driving between Monclova and Piedras after dark.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4