Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

mosul

Apr 12, 2014, 7:46 PM

Post #1 of 18 (15728 views)

Shortcut

Buying a used car in Queretaro.

Can't Post | Private Reply
We got caught up in the permanent resident, not being able to import their non-NAFTA car thing and are finally ready to buy a mexican plated car. We want to buy the car that we had and there are a few for sale in Queretaro. We live on the coast.

Are there facilitators, who can organize a mechanic and do the paperwork? Of course, we will be there too, but we want to be sure that all the paperwork is right, before we return to Nayarit to get the plates. The cars we are looking at are private sales, not dealers.

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Rolly

Apr 12, 2014, 9:27 PM

Post #2 of 18 (15716 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mosul] Buying a used car in Queretaro.

You'll find some useful information here:
http://rollybrook.com/buying_a_car.htm

Rolly Pirate

playaboy

Apr 13, 2014, 6:44 AM

Post #3 of 18 (15703 views)

Shortcut

That is a long way to go to buy a car.

What kind of car are you looking for? Have you been to the car swap meet in Guadalajara? There are thousands of cars there every weekend.

mosul

Apr 13, 2014, 7:29 AM

Post #4 of 18 (15696 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Buying a used car in Queretaro.

Thanks Rolly, I have already checked your site and of course, the information is invaluable, but we are worried about false paperwork. We have already had an experience with it. We also would like someone to do the "footwork" before we arrive.

mosul

Apr 13, 2014, 7:34 AM

Post #5 of 18 (15692 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Buying a used car in Queretaro.

We know about the car swap meet in Guadalajara, but i don't think that it is for amateurs! Am I wrong? Without Carfax and a mechanic, I would think it could/would be a crapshoot!

esperanza

Apr 13, 2014, 7:52 AM

Post #6 of 18 (15686 views)

Shortcut

Be prepared to jump through a bunch of pain-in-the-butt hoops when you change license plates from Querétaro to your state.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

rvgringo

Apr 13, 2014, 8:24 AM

Post #7 of 18 (15680 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Buying a used car in Queretaro.

Very, very true. It is best to buy a car in the state where you live, with plates already from that state. Otherwise, it gets very complicated; sometimes impossible to get plates in another state. A friend bought a car and had to abandon it because of such problems. Some cars from one state lack paperwork to make them legal in another state, and some will not pass emissions testing or other required inspections. Then, there are chocolates...........

AlanMexicali

Apr 13, 2014, 8:35 AM

Post #8 of 18 (15678 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Buying a used car in Queretaro.

In Reply To
Very, very true. It is best to buy a car in the state where you live, with plates already from that state. Otherwise, it gets very complicated; sometimes impossible to get plates in another state. A friend bought a car and had to abandon it because of such problems. Some cars from one state lack paperwork to make them legal in another state, and some will not pass emissions testing or other required inspections. Then, there are chocolates...........

Here in our state of San Luis Potosí I checked out registering a vehicle bought in Guadalajara, Jalisco. They required the original factura signed and notorized by all owners. A local municipal office report, current, that there are no tickets due. Also a current report from a Jalisco gov´t. office that registration was up to date then a report and form that you have turned in the Jalisco plates and that the vehicle isn´t registered in Jalisco anymore.

mosul

Apr 13, 2014, 9:26 AM

Post #9 of 18 (15663 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Buying a used car in Queretaro.

Do you mean that it would be easier buying a used car in a different state than Queretaro, as far a changing the plates?

esperanza

Apr 13, 2014, 9:58 AM

Post #10 of 18 (15655 views)

Shortcut

No. Buying a car in ANY state--other than the state where you live--makes it very difficult to get license plates in the state where you will keep the car.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

rvgringo

Apr 13, 2014, 11:20 AM

Post #11 of 18 (15649 views)

Shortcut

Mosul,
The strong message that you should be hearing is: Buy your car in Nayarit and save yourself a lot of grief.

rockydog85251

Apr 13, 2014, 12:03 PM

Post #12 of 18 (15638 views)

Shortcut

I purchased a car in Colima state and then moved back to Sinaloa and was able to get it re-registered in this state. It took about 8 hr of standing in various lines but I did it with my limited Spanish. They did call to verify that the car (Peogeot) had been legally imported and tried to tell me the dealer was not in business.....I knew better and challenged them in a nice way to try again and even gave them the phone number which was on the original factura that was in hand.....amazingly enough - the dealer verified everything. Not sure I want to try that again, though!
Willie

rvgringo

Apr 13, 2014, 12:13 PM

Post #13 of 18 (15632 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Buying a used car in Queretaro.

It appears that Rockydog was fortunate and had purchased from a new car dealer. A used car with a longer chain of ownership would be much more complicated, depending upon the states involved. I still recommend buying in the state where you live and going to the recaudadora with the seller, to be sure that there are no liens or tickets, and that the emissions inspection is current (if required), before you hand over your cash. It also eliminates the need for a facilitator if you have some Spanish capability.

rockydog85251

Apr 13, 2014, 2:41 PM

Post #14 of 18 (15613 views)

Shortcut

Oops! Didn't make myself totally clear - I did purchase from a private individual who had purchased it from the dealer so the chain of ownership was not long. Maybe that did make it somewhat easier - not that anything in Sinaloa is ever easy!!!
Willie

robt65

Apr 14, 2014, 4:22 AM

Post #15 of 18 (15571 views)

Shortcut

Hello mosul,

I live in San Juan del Rio, just 25 minutes south of the city of Querétaro. I have made friends with the family that own and operate a car bonding company in Reynosa, whom I hired to import my wife's car into Mexico about a year ago. The son in the family makes a very good living buying salvage title cars n the USA and bringing them into México, via Reynosa. He has a five car transport trailer that he uses to repair these salvage title cars from the USA and then takes them to either the City of Querétaro or to Guadalajara to sell,. He has told me that these are the two easiest city's to sell these type of cars. In Querétaro there is a very large (private party?) car sales place just south of the city off the autopista. All I can tell you from what I have learned from him is that they repair these salvage title cars in Reynosa, have them legally titled n Tamaulipas and then transport them after a "quick (cheap) fix" as he put it. everything is done on the "cheap" and there are no laws preventing any such sales here in Querétaro. These less than scruples folks know how to manipulate any paperwork required, and who to "pay off" to get what they need to sell their "repaired" cars to private parties.

I have also personally been to one or two of these sales at the Querétaro "private party" sales places and have seen an eyeful. I would never buy a car from anyone who was selling one there. Even dealers from Querétaro use this place to sell cars they have taken in trade and are not worth repairing so they take them there to flog to the public at large. They are not ashamed to tell you they are a dealer also. only problem is they will not warranty any of those cars.

Even though I finally did buy a car from NOB and imported it, I personally would never buy a used car n Mexico unless it were from a dealers lot and had it taken to a private mechanic that you or a friend knows very well to do a thorough inspection of when it is on the "rack", and certainly not before it is test driven with both you and the mechanic you are paying is in the car for the test drive. . . . . . . . . . . that is unless you are "well heeled" and money doesn't matter much.

Buying a car new or used is (usually) a major purchase in one's life, and I certainly would not buy on the cheap just to save a few dollars or pesos as the case may be. Just a word to the wise.

Regards,
Robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Apr 14, 2014, 4:30 AM)

mosul

Apr 14, 2014, 8:10 PM

Post #16 of 18 (15527 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Buying a used car in Queretaro.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Today, I checked and was given a list of what i need to secure Nayarit plates for a vehicle purchased in a different state. They said the process was time consuming, (more or less a day), but that it wasn't difficult and certainly not impossible.

I will report back, once we have found a vehicle......which could be a problem!
Thanks again.

Sonia Diaz

Apr 15, 2014, 5:00 PM

Post #17 of 18 (15495 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Buying a used car in Queretaro.

Excellent post and I see this happening with expats buying used cars here in Mexico. I have also seen expats buy Mexican plated cars that were practically totaled in accidents in Mexico and the person selling the car was the person who repaired it vs the true owner. It has been a lot of work for me to fix the problem.

If one knows a car came from the US or Canada CarFax is worth paying for.

There is no CarFax in Mexico. One can check at least the VIN on REPUVE but still not what one needs although a start.

Plus often in Mexico cobblestones, topes and 40 and 50 grade oil are not kind to vehicles. In some stores much of oil sales are of the higher viscosity.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sonia/252211011634302

playaboy

Apr 16, 2014, 5:44 AM

Post #18 of 18 (15479 views)

Shortcut

What kind of car are you looking for? What is the budget? There aren't any cars for sale in Nayarit?

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4