Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

los arboles resident

Mar 31, 2014, 9:10 PM

Post #1 of 9 (3369 views)

Shortcut

IAVE sticker

Can't Post | Private Reply
Am looking at purchasing an IAVE sticker to travel from PV to Laredo.
Has anybody used this prepaid toll sticker. Just looking for some supportative feedback on where you purchased and the ease of use.

(This post was edited by los arboles resident on Apr 3, 2014, 2:44 PM)

tashby

Apr 3, 2014, 3:01 PM

Post #2 of 9 (3276 views)

Shortcut

Re: [los arboles resident] IAVE sticker

I have had an IAVE sticker for a couple of years and it works great. I don't have a Mexican credit card, so I do the "pay as you go" in cash thing. Before any trip, I just go to Bancomer and add money to the account. I visit the punto a punto website to see what the tolls are going to be on my trip, then add that amount to the account. It's really great if you happen to be driving during a busy time and are anticipating long lines at toll booths. I have only used it on trips between Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta, and a couple of trips to Michoacan and Guanajuato states. The IAVE website works well, you can check your balance and do other things, etc.

It's important to know that not all toll booths are IAVE-equipped though. You might want to find out if they are on the route you'll be driving, otherwise it won't be worth it.

Finally, on the down side....after I raved to a friend about how great it was, she asked me to buy her an IAVE sticker for her car. Hers never worked so she peeled it off. No idea why hers didn't function but mine does. I bought them in the same place.

playaboy

Apr 3, 2014, 4:42 PM

Post #3 of 9 (3262 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] IAVE sticker

Is the IAVE sticker car specific? Can I mount it on a piece of plexiglass and move it from car to car?

tashby

Apr 3, 2014, 6:36 PM

Post #4 of 9 (3249 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] IAVE sticker

Car specific? I don't know. I don't remember them asking for any car information when I bought the sticker (at a Bancomer branch), but that was a couple of years ago.

I suppose you could try it on a separate piece of plexiglass. I think the sticker only costs around $100 pesos or so, then whatever you put in the account. Wouldn't cost much to test it out.

The sticker is supposed to be affixed inside your windshield (like a refrendo sticker), directly behind/under your rear-view mirror, which I guess is the easiest place for the camera to "read" it. You need to go through the toll booth slowly, especially as you find/spot the camera to make sure it reads it so the gate flips up. When it works, it's great. And mine has worked perfectly from the beginning.

Like I said, the website is good and has lots of info.

https://www.iave.mx/iave/Default.aspx

(This post was edited by tashby on Apr 3, 2014, 6:38 PM)

los arboles resident

Apr 7, 2014, 9:03 AM

Post #5 of 9 (3164 views)

Shortcut

Where did you buy yours if you don't mind by asking.

tashby

Apr 7, 2014, 11:03 AM

Post #6 of 9 (3144 views)

Shortcut

Bancomer.

Aaron+

Apr 7, 2014, 3:23 PM

Post #7 of 9 (3126 views)

Shortcut

The www.IAVE.mx website, besides Bancomer branches and IAVE's own roadside modules, lists the following sales outlets:
  • Sucursales Inbursa Participantes.
  • Tiendas Sanborns participantes1.
  • Tiendas Extra.
  • Farmacias del Ahorro Participantes.
  • Tiendas Gomart.
  • Tiendas Wal Mart Supercenter participantes. Descarga el listado aquí
  • Tiendas Circulo K.
  • Tiendas 7-Eleven.
  • Tiendas Happy Go participantes.
  • End quote.
    It can also be ordered online.

tashby

Apr 7, 2014, 5:44 PM

Post #8 of 9 (3112 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] IAVE sticker

I just noticed that IAVE is specifically promoting a new "tag portátil" that you can take from one car to another, so there you go.

playaboy

Apr 7, 2014, 7:51 PM

Post #9 of 9 (3098 views)

Shortcut

I will look that up, gracias.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4