Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

tonyburton

Mar 31, 2014, 3:47 PM

Post #1 of 7 (39043 views)

Shortcut

Mexican cookbook for beginners ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Could anyone please suggest two or three good choices for an English-language Mexican cookbook for beginners? (Think 20-something-year-old student!).
The ideal choice would be strong in the cuisine of western Mexico (eg Jalisco pozole, etc), but all suggestions considered.
Thanks,
Tony

rayitodeluna

Mar 31, 2014, 8:43 PM

Post #2 of 7 (39020 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Mexican cookbook for beginners ?

In Reply To
Could anyone please suggest two or three good choices for an English-language Mexican cookbook for beginners? (Think 20-something-year-old student!).
The ideal choice would be strong in the cuisine of western Mexico (eg Jalisco pozole, etc), but all suggestions considered.
Thanks,
Tony

Tony, I dont have a cookbook suggestion but I DO have a blog suggestions. Google "La Cocina de Leslie" , it is a *mexican food blog written in English. Lots of photos, easy recipes, a fun read as well. Every recipe I have made from her blog has become a family favorite. Just rently made a Pollo Pipian Verde and my children were literally licking the sauce off the plate. My 4 year old at 3 legs and a thigh. No joke.

Also, there is an celebrity American cook who really loves Mexican cuisine but his name is escaping me. The same blogger i mentioned has mentioned his cookbooks several times but the name eludes me. Robert something? Ill google it.

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

(This post was edited by rayitodeluna on Apr 1, 2014, 7:18 AM)

rayitodeluna

Mar 31, 2014, 8:47 PM

Post #3 of 7 (39018 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Mexican cookbook for beginners ?

Googled and found him, Rick Bayless.

http://www.saveur.com/gallery/Six-Essential-Mexican-Cookbooks?page=2

I cant personally vouch for his recipes, but I have seen him and his love for Mexican food mentioned alot.

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.

esperanza

Apr 1, 2014, 6:50 AM

Post #4 of 7 (39003 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
Thanks,
Tony

Tony, I dont have a cookbook suggestion but I DO have a blog suggestions. Google "La Cocina de Leslie" , it is a spanish food blog written in English. Lots of photos, easy recipes, a fun read as well. Every recipe I have made from her blog has become a family favorite. Just rently made a Pollo Pipian Verde and my children were literally licking the sauce off the plate. My 4 year old at 3 legs and a thigh. No joke.

Also, there is an celebrity American cook who really loves Mexican cuisine but his name is escaping me. The same blogger i mentioned has mentioned his cookbooks several times but the name eludes me. Robert something? Ill google it.

A heads-up: Leslie's blog is about Mexican food, not Spanish food.

Roberto Santibáñez, an outstanding chef from Mexico City who has opened two highly successful restaurants (and a bar) in New York, recently wrote a book called "Truly Mexican". It's easy to follow and has very good recipes. I often recommend it to people who are looking for a place to begin. If you click on my signature link, look on the left-hand sidebar, where the book covers show up. Just scroll down to see "Truly Mexican"--then click on the cover and you'll go directly to the Amazon page where you can buy the book.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Apr 1, 2014, 6:50 AM)

rayitodeluna

Apr 1, 2014, 7:19 AM

Post #5 of 7 (38993 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Mexican cookbook for beginners ?

Thanks for catching that typo.

tonyburton

Apr 1, 2014, 8:10 AM

Post #6 of 7 (38988 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for these suggestions.

tonyburton

Apr 1, 2014, 8:12 AM

Post #7 of 7 (38985 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Mexican cookbook for beginners ?

Thanks for this suggestion, which sounds like the ideal gift for the person concerned. If anyone else has suggestions, then please keep them coming, Tony

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4