Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

RickS

Mar 30, 2014, 10:26 AM

Post #1 of 15 (5210 views)

Shortcut

Volaris Airlines New non-stop Routes to Denver

Can't Post | Private Reply
A friend just gave me a head's up....

Starting July 7th, Volaris will be offering two new (limited) non-stop flights from Denver DIA to Mexico: one to Chihuahua and the other to Guadalajara. Rates appear to be about $100 better (Denver) than others AND it is the only non-stop offering. I understand from their website that their luggage policies are: 1 checked and 2 carry-on, free.

chinagringo

Mar 30, 2014, 11:04 AM

Post #2 of 15 (5201 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Volaris Airlines New non-stop Routes to Denver

Rick:

One must really watch their baggage policies since they change them about as often as some people change underwear! For the present, they are allowing 25 kilos/55 lbs but make sure it doesn't exceed the allowed 62". As for personal carry ons, they are defined as: Carry-on: backpacks, briefcase, laptop cases, purses, among others
They cannot exceed 41" each and the two bags in total cannot exceed 7 kilos or 15.4 lbs. During our Feb., they were watching dimensions and weight very closely, especially leaving Guadalajara.

One good thing with current baggage policies is that they will allow you to purchase extra baggage allowance for a discounted price when booking your ticket. Since we knew we would be bringing back more than we went with, we purchased an extra bag for the return only giving us an extra 55 lbs.

These policies could change multiple times between now and July 7th when they start flying out of Denver. Also, one needs to keep a close eye on their flight times as they are known for changing them and notifying you after the fact.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Mar 30, 2014, 11:26 AM

Post #3 of 15 (5194 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Volaris Airlines New non-stop Routes to Denver

Thanks for chiming in, Neil. I had seen in earlier Posts here and elsewhere about the 'trials of Volaris' as pertains to baggage and to disappearing/changing flights so I think your warning is well taken.

Also, I've seen non-stop Denver to Guadalajara offerings come and go over the years.... often after less than a year of service. If I partake of Volaris's service I'll do so knowing that I must be vigilant.

I have only limited experience with them, both Mexican domestic and International, but those flights have been good and without an negative consequences.

playaboy

Mar 30, 2014, 4:55 PM

Post #4 of 15 (5165 views)

Shortcut

I fly Volaris frequently throughout Mexico and to the USA. It is a good airline with great prices. As Neil said pay attention to their baggage policy. They enforce it.

esperanza

Mar 30, 2014, 7:30 PM

Post #5 of 15 (5148 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Volaris Airlines New non-stop Routes to Denver

Lots of people are complaining loudly about changes at Volaris since Sr. Slim sold it. Lots of nickel and dime charges (that cost far more than a nickel or a dime), changes of routes, changes of baggage policies, etc. I bought a round-trip ticket MEX-GDL for a flight in December 2013 and did what many people do when flying: I chose my seat when I bought my ticket, not knowing their new pricing policies.

Uh oh: I was charged about $10 USD extra on each leg of the trip for picking where I wanted to sit. Random seating: free. Choose what you want: $$$$.

Word to the wise: read the fine print prior to purchase.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Mar 30, 2014, 7:31 PM)

AlanMexicali

Mar 31, 2014, 4:47 AM

Post #6 of 15 (5126 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Volaris Airlines New non-stop Routes to Denver

In Reply To
Lots of people are complaining loudly about changes at Volaris since Sr. Slim sold it. Lots of nickel and dime charges (that cost far more than a nickel or a dime), changes of routes, changes of baggage policies, etc. I bought a round-trip ticket MEX-GDL for a flight in December 2013 and did what many people do when flying: I chose my seat when I bought my ticket, not knowing their new pricing policies.

Uh oh: I was charged about $10 USD extra on each leg of the trip for picking where I wanted to sit. Random seating: free. Choose what you want: $$$$.

Word to the wise: read the fine print prior to purchase.

Volaris states you will be charged for seat selection and printing a boarding pass [they stared doing this about 12 months ago, I think] IF you do it before 72 to 1 hour before departing on their website for national flights [ that service has always been availble since their 4th year of operation] or don´t use their recently installed automatic boarding pass printers/machines at the larger airports near luggage checkin.. A year or so ago you could select a seat when checking your luggage for free at the desk and they gave you a boarding pass. There never was random seating on Volaris in the 5 years I have taken dozens of flight to and from the border.

In reality their website might or might no let you select a seat 72 hours before departing and printing a boarding pass. It might be 15 hours before etc.

They also changed [increased] their luggage weight and carryon last Nov. for the first time and there was a slow update on their website but if you had bought a ticket their e-mail was correct.

They also stopped serving free drinks [refresco was a tiny clear plastic glass with ice or about 4 oz.] or a can of beer or a liquor drink, and 5 peso bags of snacks recently however their menu is a good bit more food for a price if you happen to be hungry.

http://imagen.volaris.com.mx/menu/menu_entre_nubes.pdf

"Don’t forget:

If you arrive at the airport without your boarding pass, you can print it at the kiosks*

* Available in the following airports: México, Tijuana, Cancún, San José del Cabo, Guadalajara y Puerto Vallarta.

If you arrive at counter without your printed boarding pass, you need to pay for Personal Attention."

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Mar 31, 2014, 8:09 AM)

AlanMexicali

Mar 31, 2014, 7:31 AM

Post #7 of 15 (5085 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Rick:

One must really watch their baggage policies since they change them about as often as some people change underwear! For the present, they are allowing 25 kilos/55 lbs but make sure it doesn't exceed the allowed 62". As for personal carry ons, they are defined as: Carry-on: backpacks, briefcase, laptop cases, purses, among others
They cannot exceed 41" each and the two bags in total cannot exceed 7 kilos or 15.4 lbs. During our Feb., they were watching dimensions and weight very closely, especially leaving Guadalajara.

One good thing with current baggage policies is that they will allow you to purchase extra baggage allowance for a discounted price when booking your ticket. Since we knew we would be bringing back more than we went with, we purchased an extra bag for the return only giving us an extra 55 lbs.

These policies could change multiple times between now and July 7th when they start flying out of Denver. Also, one needs to keep a close eye on their flight times as they are known for changing them and notifying you after the fact.

I hate to disagree with your synopsis of their baggage policies changing that often but it has changed 2X since they have been in operation, as I understand it. 8 years

You can also buy extra baggage at the 72 to 1 hour before departure time seat selection/printing a boarding pass interval on their site and more extra services at that time.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Mar 31, 2014, 8:50 AM)

chinagringo

Mar 31, 2014, 9:02 AM

Post #8 of 15 (5046 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Volaris Airlines New non-stop Routes to Denver

Alan:

I would guess that you fully realized that my "changing underwear" comment was tongue-in-cheek. However, I have flown Volaris on five R/T's from the US to Guadalajara and various policies seemed to have changed each trip. One must also keep in mind that they have different policies for international versus domestic. My very first Volaris flight was a red eye out of LAX and I came away very impressed with the airline and its employees. Each subsequent trip has lowered my expectations to the point where I will be taking a hard look at other options for future travel. To be fair, Volaris is simply following formulas established by other airlines causing it to become less customer friendly and more bottom line conscious.

Interjet is starting to look attractive and they seem to be expanding their US destinations!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

playaboy

Mar 31, 2014, 10:52 AM

Post #9 of 15 (5022 views)

Shortcut

Since I started removing expat cars to NOB, I have flown Volaris about a dozen times in the last 9 months. I am a member of their V-Club. Most of my experiences have been positive.

I usually purchase one-way tickets ending up in GDL. I have flown from LAX, TIJ, MTY and CUN in the last couple of months alone. When purchasing tickets on the Volaris web site you have to be aware the some of the default settings add to the costs. That is where paying attention,"the fine print" to what you click on or don't click on can change your total costs.

The only add on I pay for is the on time insurance. It can be difficult calling Customer Service to get the vouchers but they are $100 credits for a $3.02 bet. I have collected and used 2 vouchers in the last 9 months.

(This post was edited by playaboy on Mar 31, 2014, 10:54 AM)

esperanza

Mar 31, 2014, 12:27 PM

Post #10 of 15 (5007 views)

Shortcut

In the last year and a half, I have flown on Interjet several times, both nationally and internationally. IMHO, the international service is better than the national service, but both were excellent.

International was better because the pitch (space between the seats) and the width of the seats were greater, making physical comfort better. Luggage allowance on international flights is up to 55 kilos plus carry-ons, also better than national allowances.

Prices are very competitive with other airlines and are often better. Interjet offers a 20% senior discount for people over 60, no INAPAM card required.

I currently prefer Interjet to Volaris.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

JuanCha

Apr 1, 2014, 10:22 AM

Post #11 of 15 (4955 views)

Shortcut

I too am a "frequent flyer" both to/from USA and even more often domestic within Mexico. I have posted previously re Volaris, so won't go into all the recent experiences and reasons VOLARIS HAS DETERIORATED dramatically in the last 1+ year. Volaris has fallen from being a bargain airline to being just plain CHEAP (in all the low-quality connotations of that word).

In general, the advertising, administration, staff, customer (non)service, policy glitches and too-frequent changes, "gotchas" (i.e. read the fine print and even then you may get a negative surprise), lousy phone service, unpredictable (and often unannounced) flight schedule changes, etc. HAVE TAKEN VOLARIS FROM MY FAVORED AIRLINE TO ONE I TRY TO AVOID - bargain prices, and increasing destinations not withstanding.

Volaris recently seems to be emulating Vivaaerobus as a quirky, flakey, consumer-hostile airline.

I MUCH PREFER INTERJET as far and away superior to all other Mexican airlines today.
JuanCha de: Santa Fe NM, San Cristobal de Las Casas Chiapas, San Diego CA

(This post was edited by JuanCha on Apr 1, 2014, 10:39 AM)

chinagringo

Apr 1, 2014, 11:13 AM

Post #12 of 15 (4940 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JuanCha] Volaris Airlines New non-stop Routes to Denver

If one connects to Interjet using Southwest and keeps their two allowed bags under 50lbs each - they have the benefit of not paying any baggage fees. These days the add-ons for luggage, seat selection, etc can really blow a low fare right out of the water!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Apr 1, 2014, 11:55 AM

Post #13 of 15 (4928 views)

Shortcut

"If one connects.."

Yes, all kind of options (for me) Denver to Guadalajara BUT no non-stop flights. That's the crux of my Post.... non-stop.

chinagringo

Apr 1, 2014, 1:27 PM

Post #14 of 15 (4918 views)

Shortcut

Rick:

With Southwest expanding into the Mexico market, maybe non-stops from Denver are on the drawing board? they made the following announcement today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3otYXT3biPo
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Apr 1, 2014, 1:52 PM

Post #15 of 15 (4913 views)

Shortcut

jajajajajajaja

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4