Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

RoamingPanda

Mar 17, 2014, 3:42 PM

Post #1 of 5 (4671 views)

Shortcut

Reliability of internet

Can't Post | Private Reply
My wife and I are considering spending a few months in the Lake Chapala area. We both work online (as a writing instructor and speech therapist) and need relatively fast, reliable internet for our jobs. Is that available in the area? How fast are the best download and upload speeds? Are there particular internet providers we should be looking for? Any insight would be appreciated.

DavidHF

Mar 17, 2014, 4:18 PM

Post #2 of 5 (4664 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RoamingPanda] Reliability of internet

For us retired folks it's OK, for you it will be slower and less than 99% reliable. Your choices are Telmex and Telecable, or slow and pretty reliable and faster and less reliable. I'm sure others will chime in with hard data.

bronco

Mar 17, 2014, 5:00 PM

Post #3 of 5 (4655 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Reliability of internet

there is a technical section on 2 other forums. you may get more detailed info.

stevebrtx

Mar 18, 2014, 6:51 AM

Post #4 of 5 (4616 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RoamingPanda] Reliability of internet

This morning my Telecable is running 5.5 down and 1.5 up and I'm paying for an 8MB connection. My Telmex is only 3 as a backup which I used yesterday when the power went down. Over the years it's improved overall, but depending on location it seems spotty. Later today it will be slower, more and more people are streaming movies etc. and I think that impacts us all, others disagree, whatever the reason, it is what it is. I need 24/7 connectivity to upload the weather station so I have both systems as a backup and yesterday was the first time in a year I had to use Telmex.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

stevebrtx

Mar 18, 2014, 2:41 PM

Post #5 of 5 (4582 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Reliability of internet

Well, should have kept quiet, about 1:30 I noticed Telecable is offline. They've been really solid for a year, but see to have fallen out of bed? That's why you have both ISP's.

Oh, forgot to add, I generator, nothing makes me smile wider than my little Honda when the CFE hamsters choke on their kibble.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

(This post was edited by stevebrtx on Mar 18, 2014, 2:42 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4