Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

CozumelComplete

Mar 16, 2014, 6:33 PM

Post #1 of 7 (2620 views)

Shortcut

Customs at the border

Can't Post | Private Reply
We will be carrying 2 adult bikes and 1 childs bike, but there are only 2 of us. Will I be allowed to just pay customs on the extra one?
Patricia A Holt
Cozumel The Complete Guide II

(This post was edited by CozumelComplete on Mar 16, 2014, 7:20 PM)

Aaron+

Mar 17, 2014, 9:37 AM

Post #2 of 7 (2544 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CozumelComplete] Customs at the border

Call it the luck of the draw, namely, my guess is that it depends on the mood of the customs official you encounter. My bet is that you are waved through when, if asked, you say it is for your child and whip out a family photo, at which point the official may show you his family's photo! This is Mexico.

CozumelComplete

Mar 17, 2014, 10:10 AM

Post #3 of 7 (2530 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Customs at the border

That sounds good, I do not mind paying, I just do not want them to confiscate it saying I have 1 too many..lol
Patricia A Holt

robt65

Mar 17, 2014, 4:26 PM

Post #4 of 7 (2479 views)

Shortcut

Hello Cozumel,

You may have struck it "lucky". If you are two adults traveling then you are allowed to import up to 5 toys (new or used) toys are toys to Aduana, and the cost I paid is 16% of the value. If you have more than 5 toys for the child then each person including a youngster is allowed the same $300 tax exemption. Each person in the car is also allowed up to five toys so, if you have more than 5 toys, but 10 or less with you then you are away to the races. If it really "looks" used (i.e. dirty tire treads or worn tires, as tires would appear used, small scratches etc.) then get (or make) a "garage sale" receipt, then import the child's bike, under your now $300 dollar exemption. Remember you are now allowed $300 tax exempt imported goods at the border when you drive through the border. I just came back this week and used the $300 dollar exemption without any fuss at all. If it is one adult and one child traveling through the border then simply do the same for one of the adults bikes and complete in the same manner.

Contrary to Arrons posting they were very strict on importing toys when I came through the border driving.

Tip: if you are going to bring more than the maximum allowed (new or used) toys, then simply the over amount of ten toys in different boxes to yourselves and do not pack more than 5 toys in a box.

Regards,
Robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Mar 17, 2014, 4:44 PM)

CozumelComplete

Mar 17, 2014, 4:55 PM

Post #5 of 7 (2466 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Customs at the border

I think the bike comes under sports goods not toys and allowed 1 each. Child is flying with his Mom and probably 2 week old brother. I am driving with a friend, so 2 adults. Bringing very few toys so will be under the 10. I will have his Spiderman scooter so hope that goes under the toys. Mostly will be some plastic buckets of clothing and shoes, some baby equipment like playpen, high chair, and bouncer...and of course Marlow the Mastiff and Romy the grumpy old chihaua(sp)
Patricia A Holt

robt65

Mar 17, 2014, 5:10 PM

Post #6 of 7 (2457 views)

Shortcut

One of the "toys I brought through was my three year old daughters tricycle and where I crossed at was listed as a toy. But who knows . . . . . . the only thing for sure about Mexicom . . . . . . . . is that nothing is for sure. It well may be different at your crossing.
Regards,
Robt665

CozumelComplete

Mar 17, 2014, 5:19 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2454 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Customs at the border

Robt That is so true. I am crossing at Nogales and I have heard it is one of the best places...let's just hope. Enough BS dealing with the car and the dogs as it is.
Patricia A Holt

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4