Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

darrellk

Mar 16, 2014, 9:49 AM

Post #1 of 7 (3090 views)

Shortcut

Another quiet trip

Can't Post | Private Reply
Went through Laredo to Aguascalientes and all was quiet. Had some Federales in NL and at the Zac/Aguas border besides that it was a good trip.
I was surprised at the check points all the Police offered there hand, I never had any issues with them before but this was a first and they did at both locations.

citlali

Mar 16, 2014, 10:53 AM

Post #2 of 7 (3074 views)

Shortcut

Re: [darrellk] Another quiet trip

What do you mean by " offered their hand"?

We just did 3000 km in Southern Mexico and were stopped by cops who search the car and then let us go. We were with a young Mexican who told us it was illegal for them to search the car without cause but since they had the guns I told her to be quiet. We were not hit for any bribes at any point on our trip.

We noticed that many cars were stopped and search by the military but we were waved on every time. We were near the border with Guatemala so I guess white faces were not what they were after.

Also were stopped by indigenous teachers who had taken over the Sna Cristobal Tuxtla booth and were "collecting" the tolls but we had no problems anywhere.

(This post was edited by RickS on Mar 17, 2014, 6:30 AM)

Altahabana

Mar 17, 2014, 6:10 AM

Post #3 of 7 (3013 views)

Shortcut

I'm not sure what people mean when they say Federales. I assume they are talking about federal police and not the military. I have never seen the military "offer their hands" anywhere.

AlanMexicali

Mar 17, 2014, 7:35 AM

Post #4 of 7 (2994 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Another quiet trip

In Reply To
I'm not sure what people mean when they say Federales. I assume they are talking about federal police and not the military. I have never seen the military "offer their hands" anywhere.

The "new" word for the Federal Pólice is Federales. The old word for the Mexican Army was Federales. Things change. The new word for the Mexican Army/Navy is Military.

Note: When watching old movies and someone uses the word Federales this means the Mexican Army.

citlali

Mar 17, 2014, 8:08 AM

Post #5 of 7 (2984 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Another quiet trip

So the op is saying that the Federal Police is crooked? Nothing extremely new. They are the ones stopping any pick up or loaded car and asking for pay off. They are the ones waiting outside of the airport in Guadaljara and charging the cabs who go to pick up people 50 pesos and so on..

darrellk

Mar 17, 2014, 8:09 AM

Post #6 of 7 (2983 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Another quiet trip

The federal police offered a hand shake at every stop. (then again maybe they wanted money but all they got was a hand shake and they also said welcome to Mexico)

The military never even bothered me and for that matter they never bothered me. I usually offer water to them in the warm months.

(This post was edited by darrellk on Mar 17, 2014, 8:19 AM)

citlali

Mar 17, 2014, 9:55 AM

Post #7 of 7 (2965 views)

Shortcut

They were just before friendly, when they want money they are more explicit. Just my opinion but I sure would not have given them money.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4