Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BTNKCA

Dec 4, 2016, 11:43 AM

Post #26 of 26 (5480 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Mexico Bars Entry to People with Criminal Records

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'll add my own story, for the benefit of others searching on this topic.

I pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud 9 years ago in federal court. I was convicted of this class C felony and served a few months in a federal prison camp, followed by 3 years supervised release and restitution payments.

I have a valid passport and am an American citizen.

While I am aware that I cannot enter Canada without applying for their criminal rehabilitation program, I have found that Mexico's rules are much more vague. For Canadians, the rules to enter Mexico with a felony are relatively clear, citing specific crimes that would invalidate people for entry, but for Americans, the rules are unclear and unstated.

I decided to book my flight and cross my fingers.

There was no issue for me. I was able to pass through customs without incident or delay. I do not know if Mexico Customs agents simply don't have access to criminal records databases from the US, or if my crime was too old, or if my crime simply didn't qualify for concern, or if I simply got lucky. I only know that everything worked out well, and I would be hopeful that it will continue to work out well in the future.

Mexico, especially Cancun, is an absolutely lovely travel destination, and I am so very pleased that my past mistake did not prevent me from experiencing it.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4