Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Adios

Mar 5, 2014, 3:47 PM

Post #1 of 8 (20410 views)

Shortcut

Impermeable paint on the outside walls ?

Can't Post |
We've done a little masonry work on the house and have taken care of whatever cracks we had as well. Do you think it is ok to use fester's impermeable white paint on the outside walls of the house rather than simply using generic white paint ? I realize it is a little pricey but I think I'd feel better come rainy season.

Azuledos

Mar 6, 2014, 4:50 AM

Post #2 of 8 (20380 views)

Shortcut

Re: [charlie131120] Impermeable paint on the outside walls ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Some overhang of the roofing materials outside of the plane of the vertical surface will prevent a lot of moisture getting into the walls. If you have a freestanding perimeter wall, a cap or row of tiles will do this for you. We used the best grade of Comex paint on the walls facing the yard because we wanted the color choices. On the outside of the wall surfaces facing the neighbor's property where we didn't require color, we used Fester Acriton to seal them from driven rain. (Red because it shows the black moho much less than the white.) This is common practice here in this rainy climate area. Don't forget a good chaflán or angled filling of concrete where the wall sits on a vertical surface, directing water away from the wall-floor joint.

================================
Veracruz has to be the best kept secret in Mexico.
http://etepetzin.blogspot.com -&- http://azuledos.blogspot.com

Fig

Mar 28, 2014, 11:36 AM

Post #3 of 8 (20106 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Azuledos] Impermeable paint on the outside walls ?

Could you not use the white fester and then paint over with your preferred paint colour?

robt65

Mar 28, 2014, 9:26 PM

Post #4 of 8 (20072 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Fig] Impermeable paint on the outside walls ?

Hello Fig.

Anything is possible. Something that one must consider though, is that one of the most important qualities of the "Fester" products is their ability to expand and contract not only for temperature ranges, but also for general movement of a structure (roof), from lets say heavy traffic (transport trucks on a highway, etc.). If the overlay of the paint you intend has the same qualities of the Fester product there would probably not be any problem, but if the paint product was of a more rigid composition, the paint product might just "crack or chip" during any moving or even drastic temperature changes that would provide for some possible drastic degree changes such as we can get here in the mountains of Querétaro from the day to nighttime. Here there are days, at the end of winter particularly, that can vary 35 to 40 degrees. That is a substantial range for any such paint product. It may well be that the outside paint product would not hold up as warranted by the manufactured. I would suggest asking a chemical engineer about such a thing, before dumping some hard earned bucks on a hunch.

It's very possible that you can phone the Quality control department of Fester manufacturing company in Mexico City and ask them about the possibilities of adding a color pigment to their product and what, if any, detrimental affects that mixture might produce. Is their one color pigment or another that might be best for such an experiment?
The company has an excellent web site so Google it up on google.com.mx and see the contact numbers that you can call.

Regards,
Robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Mar 28, 2014, 9:34 PM)

sparks

Mar 29, 2014, 6:58 AM

Post #5 of 8 (20055 views)

Shortcut

Re: [charlie131120] Impermeable paint on the outside walls ?

If there is a history of moisture in that area I wouldn't. I recently tried it in a small area, moisture came back and the impermeabilizante bubbled and came off in sheets. It doesn't breath. If all moisture is from outside it may work better? Sellador and decent paint should be enough of a sealant

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Fig

Mar 29, 2014, 9:25 AM

Post #6 of 8 (20032 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Impermeable paint on the outside walls ?

Sound advice. Thanks. I'll use the better quality paint and leave it at that.

robt65

Mar 29, 2014, 10:10 AM

Post #7 of 8 (20027 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Fig] Impermeable paint on the outside walls ?

Fig,

I would certainly agree with Sparks on his suggestion, especially if their is humidity in your area. Fester or any other such product does bubble if there is any humidity present in the walls or roof. I would use two coats of sealer with a stiff paint brush applied in two different directions to fill as many cracks and pours in the cement as possible. A regular paint brush cut down to half it's length makes a good stiff (enough)brush for applying a sealer.

Good Luck,
Robt65

CozICan

Apr 29, 2014, 4:28 PM

Post #8 of 8 (19708 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Impermeable paint on the outside walls ?

After needing to totally scrape and seal my outside walls about every 3 years I decided to use Mapla Impermeabilizante for my whole house. I have used this product on my concrete roof for many years and it has held up much better than the Comex product. Mapla is a paint company that I believe is based in Cancun and I don't know how far their distribution is. I believe their products are superior to any other paint I have found in Mexico and it is actually less expensive than many. I like their interior paint as well, truly 1 coat paint.

The impermeabilizante actually has many small pieces of fiber mixed in it that helps it become almost like a sheet of rubber. My house is white with Terracotta trim. They were very reluctant to tint the white to the Terracotta because they were not confident they could get the correct color but they finally agreed and it came out beautiful.

This was about 10 months ago and it still looks great, I have my fingers crossed that it hold out well and my neighbours are watching as well hoping that I may have come onto something that actually works in this climate.
I figured I didn't have much to loose because I would normally have to repaint the house in 3 years anyways.

I will let you all know if anything bad comes of this, only time will tell.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4