Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

chana42

Mar 2, 2014, 12:20 PM

Post #1 of 10 (2935 views)

Shortcut

Moving to Mexico - Need Private Van from Mexico City to Oaxaca

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi guys -

I am getting a little desperate. I am moving down to Chalcatongo de Hidalgo to teach at the university there. The vice-rector is sending someone to pick me up in Oaxaca - but I have to land in Mexico City because I am traveling with two dogs. (The airlines don't flight aircraft capable of handling dogs in the cargo hold past Mexico City.)

Rental vans out of the Oaxaca airport (pick up van in Oaxaca - drive to MEX - drive back down to OAX and leave van) - don't exist. The cars are way too small for me and dogs and luggage.

I would like to hire a driver to pick me and pooches up in Mexico City and drive me to Oaxaca. I have scoured, searched and used every combination Google search term known to man to find some company that might work. No luck.

Anybody have any brilliant ideas? I leave next Sunday - so time is of the essence!

Thanks so much in advance for any help, ideas or assistance you can think of...including your nephew or cousin who has a van, is reliable and wants to earn a some bucks in a Sunday gig helping me out!

(Further FYI, most commercial companies won't take the dogs. Or don't have large enough vehicles. The shuttle companies either don't do that route - or don't take dogs...)

Cheers!

esperanza

Mar 2, 2014, 12:26 PM

Post #2 of 10 (2931 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chana42] Moving to Mexico - Need Private Van from Mexico City to Oaxaca

You didn't ask about air travel on national (originating and landing within Mexico) flights, but it is certainly possible. Interjet, an excellent Mexican airline, has flights from MEX to OAX. They do take pets. Here's the link:
https://www.interjet.com.mx/...untasfrecuentes.aspx

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

chana42

Mar 2, 2014, 12:43 PM

Post #3 of 10 (2927 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Moving to Mexico - Need Private Van from Mexico City to Oaxaca

Unfortunately, they only allow small pets and service dogs - for inside the cabin. My dogs are in kennels and need to go into the cargo hold.

chana42

Mar 2, 2014, 12:46 PM

Post #4 of 10 (2925 views)

Shortcut

As an FYI, I have checked all domestic air carriers going into Oaxaca...none of them will carry pets in the cargo hold as they are the smaller regional jets and do not have pressurized holds. This includes American, United, Aeromar and Aeromexico.....so far...

Thanks again...

chana42

Mar 2, 2014, 12:51 PM

Post #5 of 10 (2924 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Moving to Mexico - Need Private Van from Mexico City to Oaxaca

Wait! I didn't read carefully!!!!! MY SO BAD!!!!

It looks like they might DO it!!!!

Checking it out now...

Thanks so much!!! I'll let you know!

chana42

Mar 2, 2014, 1:25 PM

Post #6 of 10 (2915 views)

Shortcut

Well, that is interesting.

They WILL take the dogs - but the fees (there is no charge for the actual pets - there is a charge for the weight) - for them plus my baggage will come to over $800.00 while the airfare is $136.00. :-}. These are medium-sized dogs, not over 40 pounds each...

Sooooo....I'm thinking we're back to looking for ground transportation...

Thanks @esperanza...I appreciate your idea, regardless...

(This post was edited by chana42 on Mar 2, 2014, 1:26 PM)

Aaron+

Mar 2, 2014, 3:41 PM

Post #7 of 10 (2899 views)

Shortcut

"They WILL take the dogs - but the fees (there is no charge for the actual pets - there is a charge for the weight) - for them plus my baggage will come to over $800.00 while the airfare is $136.00. :-"

Interjet is charging $800 for your dogs plus baggage? Sure that is USD and not MXN pesos?

chana42

Mar 2, 2014, 3:52 PM

Post #8 of 10 (2897 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Moving to Mexico - Need Private Van from Mexico City to Oaxaca

Yes, it's dollars. I was speaking to an U.S. rep - and it's also on their website as dollars. When I said, "then the dogs alone will come to $550.00?" - she said "Yes, it's expensive....".

She was absolutely accurate.

Also, I have four bags coming along with me. None of them heavy ...but the dogs will count as two pieces of "luggage"...everything else is then also charged at the rate of $5.00 usd per kg/2.2 lbs.

"Excess baggage fee per kilogram (2.2 lbs) applicable to overweight bags and to additional bagsUS$5.00/kg

Four bags at 40 pds each - 160 pounds or 72 kg. X 5.00 = $363.00 + $550.00 is
actually $913.00. So - I actually under-estimated it...800 MEX would only be $60.00 usd - so, I *knew* that wouldn't be correct...

Incredibly expensive - which is why I'm looking for ground transport...it can't be as bad as this...

Thanks for the response... :-)

(This post was edited by chana42 on Mar 2, 2014, 3:53 PM)

chana42

Mar 3, 2014, 12:20 PM

Post #9 of 10 (2864 views)

Shortcut

Good grief - just talked to the United agent who gave me more good news - apparently, if landing in Mexico City with pets, you are required to use a broker - to the tune of a minimum of $300.00. Also, there is a Mexican veterinarian health check for $150.00 (dollars) - AND - another $50.00 in various import taxes. That is on TOP of the airline fees to get the pups into the country. And that is *per* pet. So, for two dogs - $1,000.00 USD.

Heck, I'm thinking of just driving them down. Take a week - but what the heck..this is absurd...

(This post was edited by chana42 on Mar 3, 2014, 12:43 PM)

esperanza

Mar 3, 2014, 3:03 PM

Post #10 of 10 (2850 views)

Shortcut

Smart decision, it's a long-ish but easy drive. Post here with any questions about pet-friendly accommodations along the way and places with covered, safe parking for your vehicle.

Yes, we love our pets--but $1000 USD will buy a lot of dog food and vet care.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4