Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

travelaround

Mar 1, 2014, 9:08 AM

Post #1 of 19 (5898 views)

Shortcut

Melaque to Laredo

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hey all,
I will be making the drive from Melaque to Laredo in the next couple of weeks, and I would like some advice regarding the route since it will be my first time driving this route. I will be in a truck - no trailer - so I hope to make fairly good time. I figure I will go Melaque - Guadalajara - Aguascalientes - Zacatecas the first day, and Saltillo - Monterrey - Laredo the second day. Does anyone know of any dog friendly hotel in Zacatecas? Is there another route you suggest? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

esperanza

Mar 1, 2014, 9:13 AM

Post #2 of 19 (5895 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tjcucksee] Melaque to Laredo

That sounds suspiciously like MEX 54 out of Guadalajara.

MEX 57 is a much better route. If you go MEX 57, your overnight would be in Matehuala. The next day would be an easy ride to your destination.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

travelaround

Mar 1, 2014, 9:22 AM

Post #3 of 19 (5894 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Melaque to Laredo

Yes, that would be 54. Are you saying take 80 out of Guadalajara and hit 57 after San Lois Potosi, or jump on 57 right out of Guadalajara?

darrellk

Mar 1, 2014, 3:47 PM

Post #4 of 19 (5859 views)

Shortcut

Re: [travelaround] Melaque to Laredo

Wait till April and you can stop in Aguascalientes and go the the famous Fedia de San Marcos!

esperanza

Mar 1, 2014, 4:05 PM

Post #5 of 19 (5854 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Yes, that would be 54. Are you saying take 80 out of Guadalajara and hit 57 after San Lois Potosi, or jump on 57 right out of Guadalajara?

Look here:
http://aplicaciones4.sct.gob.mx/...action=cmdEscogeRuta

Type in your state and town of departure (Jalisco, Melaque) and your state and town of arrival (Tamaulipas, Nuevo Laredo) and click on the link at the middle on the bottom of the page.

The website will show you the route.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Mar 1, 2014, 4:05 PM)

RickS

Mar 1, 2014, 4:42 PM

Post #6 of 19 (5845 views)

Shortcut

57 does not go to Guadalajara so, yes, take 80 out of Guad up to Lagos de Moreno where you will continue, taking the 'new' 2-lane cuota up towards Potosi; prior to Potosi around Villa de Arriaga take another toll east over to 57 just south of Potosi. Stay on 57 (parts toll) up to the Saltillo area where you would go east on toll 40 east to Monterrey, then Laredo.

Do not take 54 north out of Guad (unless you have a lot of time or just want to do it once) as it is a 2-lane and very slow going. Just as fast to get to Zacatecas (but with tolls) to go 80 out of Guad, then up to Aquas then to Zacatecas.

IMO it will be hard to do Melaque to Laredo (driving only in daylight) with just one night on the road unless you are coming up the Colima toll to Guad. If so, you could probably make Matehuala by nightfall although that's about 9 hours.

playaboy

Mar 1, 2014, 9:02 PM

Post #7 of 19 (5814 views)

Shortcut

Last week I drove from lakeside to Piedras Negras and beyond. From Guadalajara I took 80D east toward Lago de Moreno, 45D north to Zacatecas, to 54D north to Saltillo.

Rick suggested this route and I wanted to try something new. 54D had over a hundred miles of brand new asphalt and not much else.

travelaround

Mar 2, 2014, 7:15 AM

Post #8 of 19 (5794 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Melaque to Laredo

Thanks everyone for the advice. Any suggestions as far as the overnight? I have 2 dogs.

esperanza

Mar 2, 2014, 7:51 AM

Post #9 of 19 (5790 views)

Shortcut

In Matehuala, Hotel Las Palmas. They don't officially take dogs, but they always look the other way. Ask for a room around the back, where there is a large grassy area for your pooch to take a stroll.

VitaBella

Mar 2, 2014, 10:24 PM

Post #10 of 19 (5753 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
In Matehuala, Hotel Las Palmas. They don't officially take dogs, but they always look the other way. Ask for a room around the back, where there is a large grassy area for your pooch to take a stroll.

It has been Our experience since Dec. 2007, that the front desk was always in agreement with our traveling pets & didn't care how many we had.

To quote - In all the many Years of travelling back & forth / staying at Las Palmas ,
no on ever cared whether we had Dog(s) and Or Cat(s) and and how many, although we told them.
The same with the Holiday Inn Express in SLP, which, I, personally much prefer
since it has secure parking and, offers a fabulous buffet breakfast, at least on weekends.

darrellk

Mar 3, 2014, 11:19 AM

Post #11 of 19 (5732 views)

Shortcut

Re: [VitaBella] Melaque to Laredo

You can get to Aguascalientes in a day and as you enter Aguas from the south there are several no see hotel that are safe and pet friendly. Then from Aguas to Laredo is only about 8 hours and all couta.

esperanza

Mar 3, 2014, 3:04 PM

Post #12 of 19 (5721 views)

Shortcut

Re: [darrellk] Melaque to Laredo

Darrellk, the Aguascalientes route is a major PITA: two-lane, slow, too many curves. Everyone on this thread is recommending the MEX 57 route--we have been there, done that, and learned to love the difference in MEX 57.

darrellk

Mar 3, 2014, 7:06 PM

Post #13 of 19 (5698 views)

Shortcut

Sorry esperanza but it is only two lanes for about 50-75 km's and it's a pretty drive if you aren't in a hurry. I have driven from Barra to Aguas to the states several times and it really isn't that bad......at least for me. Almost all the way is coutas. The only bad part is going through Aguas central but if you hit the outer loop it's a breeze.

Also the feria is a blast if you have never been there. , I have another planned next week and again for the feria! May can't come soon enough for the final move!

Have a safe trip

Maybe I should start a new thread but how are things in Melaque and barra? I always' loved the area.

(This post was edited by darrellk on Mar 3, 2014, 7:23 PM)

darrellk

Mar 4, 2014, 1:14 PM

Post #14 of 19 (5659 views)

Shortcut

Sorry Esperanza for the way I replied, I didn't pay attention to the font and I cut and pasted a couple parts.

I usually double check my posts but was in the middle of stuff and didn't.

sincere apologies.

Darrell

esperanza

Mar 4, 2014, 2:16 PM

Post #15 of 19 (5650 views)

Shortcut

What a gentleman, thank you. Have fun at the fair!

darrellk

Mar 4, 2014, 2:42 PM

Post #16 of 19 (5648 views)

Shortcut

I try....

And I will have a fun time at the fair.

thanks

bowmanmt

Mar 5, 2014, 9:24 AM

Post #17 of 19 (5619 views)

Shortcut

X5 for Matahula, and Las Palmas, we stay there all the time with out jack russel, no problems at all.

donemry

Apr 22, 2014, 7:48 AM

Post #18 of 19 (5075 views)

Shortcut

Re: [VitaBella] Melaque to Laredo

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in SLP on the way home two weeks ago. They were NOT dog friendly.

(This post was edited by RickS on Apr 22, 2014, 9:07 AM)

VitaBella

Apr 22, 2014, 9:38 AM

Post #19 of 19 (5053 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] Melaque to Laredo

Thanks for letting us know - nothing ever stays the same.

It's always good to check out the current Pet "guidelines " and maybe print
out a copy, just in case.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4