Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Adios

Feb 27, 2014, 5:38 AM

Post #1 of 5 (14536 views)

Shortcut

Connect to Telmex Infinitum with DSL 'Modem' ?

Can't Post |
So I recently asked about bridging 2 routers to access Telmex. Are any of you using a DSL modem (perhaps TP-Link) with your own router behind it to access Telmex Infinitum ? That is the setup (except my modem was a Motorola Surfboard 'Cable' modem) that I used in the States with Comcast for many years.

If you are - just how 'supportive' was Telmex, and what if any hurdles did you encounter ?

Thanks

johanson / Moderator

Feb 27, 2014, 4:53 PM

Post #2 of 5 (14508 views)

Shortcut

Re: [charlie131120] Connect to Telmex Infinitum with DSL 'Modem' ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I saw your message soon after you posted it and hoped that someone could answer your question. I have much to learn about creating something even better than my computer created VPN.
Sure, I can enter my Telmex Modem, but never have I tried to change any settings nor do I even know if I could. Oh well. :)

Adios

Feb 28, 2014, 11:48 AM

Post #3 of 5 (14483 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Well I just purchased a TD-8616 adsl modem from Amazon for something like $35 USD delivered here to Mexico. Called Telmex to request my credentials for PPP and they need to re-generate new ones. Call back in 48 hours. After a lot of research I think putting this modem in front of my dd-wrt enabled router is the easiest (and most efficient) route to getting house-wide VPN. Who knows - perhaps I will be able to return the Telmex modem/router and stop being charged a montly rental for their equipment...

mazbeach

Feb 28, 2014, 1:57 PM

Post #4 of 5 (14475 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post | Private Reply
Just curious, so please pardon my limited knowledge. Why didn't you just buy a wifi range extender? You wouldn't have to mess with Telmex their setup can be very easy. They are also relatively inexpensive. As I said, just curious.

Adios

Feb 28, 2014, 2:07 PM

Post #5 of 5 (14470 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] Connect to Telmex Infinitum with DSL 'Modem' ?

Can't Post |
I have a range extender. I also have a very nice Linksys 6200 router which is already burned with dd-wrt. Bridging the Linksys and Telmex routers would not be very straightforward and very lkely would affect performance. A local expert wanted 250 pesos/hour and estimated 2 - 8 hours work to bridge the two routers. I just thought that was ridiculous. Finally - the linksys router is way better than the Telmex router. I have pretty good coverage with the Telmex router without the range extender.

The short answer to your question : I want vpn coverage for all devices in the house - that includes the kindle and dvd player. Can't get there with the Telmex router.

Edit : Well I could put the Telmex router into bridge mode (bassically turning it into a DSL modem) but a) the local expert says that he has never gotten that to work and b) there is no gui to make these changes - I would have to issue telnet commands to the modem. I'd rather give the modem back to Telmex as they gave it to me.

(This post was edited by charlie131120 on Feb 28, 2014, 4:02 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4