Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Rolly

Feb 24, 2014, 9:48 PM

Post #1 of 10 (48332 views)

Shortcut

Toaster Oven

Can't Post | Private Reply
Have you bought a toaster oven in México. Please tell me about it.

Rolly Pirate

La Isla

Feb 24, 2014, 10:15 PM

Post #2 of 10 (48327 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Toaster Oven

I have a lovely toaster oven I bought in Mexico City about a year ago. The brand is a company called Turmix, and I paid about $400 for it. What else do you want to know, Rolly?

Anonimo

Feb 25, 2014, 1:37 AM

Post #3 of 10 (48324 views)

Shortcut

We bought an Oster non digital, non convection toaster oven at Costco in Morelia several years ago. (I forget how long ago.) It works, but poorly and slowly for toast. Well, let me just say that although it "works", I wouldn't buy one again.

The little T-Fal "Inox" push down-pop up slot toaster we bought later does a much better job of toasting, and about 5 x faster.

The Oster has occasionally been used for baking, but I think that because the heat is uneven, it doesn't do a great job. I cooked fish filets in it once or twice. But the Oster is fine for reheats and warmups, when the use of the microwave oven would be inappropriate, as long as you are not in a hurry.

Saludos,
Anonimo

esperanza

Feb 25, 2014, 6:02 AM

Post #4 of 10 (48315 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Toaster Oven

In Reply To
I have a lovely toaster oven I bought in Mexico City about a year ago. The brand is a company called Turmix, and I paid about $400 for it. What else do you want to know, Rolly?

Several years ago, Judy bought a Turmix and we can barely tolerate it. The design is poor (the cord is placed so that it's difficult to plug in), the heating is uneven and slow, and its capacity is minimal. If you want it for actually *baking* something, its size might allow for a medium-size potato. If we had it to do over, we would definitely choose a different kind.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

La Isla

Feb 25, 2014, 8:27 AM

Post #5 of 10 (48299 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Toaster Oven

In Reply To

In Reply To

Several years ago, Judy bought a Turmix and we can barely tolerate it. The design is poor (the cord is placed so that it's difficult to plug in), the heating is uneven and slow, and its capacity is minimal. If you want it for actually *baking* something, its size might allow for a medium-size potato. If we had it to do over, we would definitely choose a different kind.

I use my toaster oven mainly for toasting bread and for reheating pizza, and for these purposes it works just fine. Since my apartment is very small (my refrigerator is in the living room because there's no room for it in the kitchen!), I wanted the smallest toaster oven I could find, so its small size is one reason I bought this model.

Anonimo

Feb 25, 2014, 11:25 AM

Post #6 of 10 (48285 views)

Shortcut

Here's a Krups convection toaster oven, featured on Costco online, but I have no idea how good it might be. I suppose one could look up customer reviews of the product on Amazon.com or elsewhere.
http://tinyurl.com/mydas2x at Costco.
http://tinyurl.com/ka7u76s at Amazon, (more details, customer reviews, and—what's this? a substantially lower price at Costco.mx.)

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Feb 25, 2014, 11:31 AM)

barryp

Feb 25, 2014, 11:27 AM

Post #7 of 10 (48282 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Toaster Oven

We have a Delonghi convection Model RO-2058 and 1300w - came from Costco? 4/5 years ago. Does a great job

mazbeach

Feb 25, 2014, 2:52 PM

Post #8 of 10 (48262 views)

Shortcut

Re: [barryp] Toaster Oven

We have the same brand, but without the convection feature. It has been wonderful and have never needed a microwave. So much easier for two people than trying to fire up the gas oven and regulate the heat. It does a good job even baking potatoes in under an hour. We had a Black and Decker before that and it didn't last too long.

Rolly

Feb 26, 2014, 11:47 AM

Post #9 of 10 (48236 views)

Shortcut

Re: Toaster Oven

I saw a very large Hamilton Beach at Sam's. I like because it is large enough for my lasagna pan. But $1700 pesos is more than I was planning on spending, so I'm still looking.

Rolly Pirate

babycakes

Feb 28, 2014, 6:15 AM

Post #10 of 10 (48195 views)

Shortcut

oooh ooooh pick me pick me!

I got a Black and Decker convectional toaster oven at Soriana about six months back for $600 pesos! It was a special using their Soriana points. You need 50 points-- and that comes to about buying $400 pesos worth of groceries. I am very happy with it. I noticed that even though the propaganda for the special is over. you can still get it with $600 pesos and 50 points!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4