Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Adios

Feb 23, 2014, 9:55 AM

Post #1 of 19 (24368 views)

Shortcut

dd-wrt (vpn) router behind telmex router

Can't Post |
Telmex gave us a Technicolor dsl router and I have a nice linksys router burned with dd-wrt which I would like to use to access my VPN server (privateinternetaccess). To start with I was just trying to get a wired conection (from my laptop) to get an address served up by the VPN service. I've tried OpenVPN and PPTP. With OPenVPN it looks like it never gets past the AUTH state. I've tried port forwarding for both protocols sending traffic to the mac address of the linksys router. I have not issued any iptables commands as I'm not sure what to do there.

So - anyone here 'bridging' 2 routers in a manner similar to what I am attempting ?

Thanks

johanson / Moderator

Feb 23, 2014, 11:22 AM

Post #2 of 19 (24353 views)

Shortcut

Re: [charlie131120] dd-wrt (vpn) router behind telmex router

Can't Post | Private Reply
I too would like to know the answer to your question. I am just a beginner with VPN. Sure I can use VPN software in my smart phone and in my laptop. But I know next to nothing about either using a second router or actually trying to enter the ISPs modem and changing their settings.

barryp

Feb 25, 2014, 11:10 AM

Post #3 of 19 (24318 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] dd-wrt (vpn) router behind telmex router

I use a Witopia router behind my Telmex router and I have had great success with it both here in Mexico and behind my BT router in the UK. What I like is the wide variety of ISP geographic options that are available and the ease of connection. The initial router/setup was about $300 and the software $70 +/- a year. I know there are other options including "free" but I am not a techie and this has certainly worked for me.

sparks

Feb 25, 2014, 4:56 PM

Post #4 of 19 (24299 views)

Shortcut

Re: [charlie131120] dd-wrt (vpn) router behind telmex router

You don't need a Telmex router/modem to get the connection. Have you tried plugging the other in directly

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Adios

Feb 26, 2014, 10:04 AM

Post #5 of 19 (24276 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] dd-wrt (vpn) router behind telmex router

Can't Post |
My Linksys 6200 router does not have a dsl modem. At the very least I would need to put a different modem in front of it.

FinleyBob

Aug 31, 2014, 11:04 PM

Post #6 of 19 (22275 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Adios] dd-wrt (vpn) router behind telmex router

Hi.
I have a set up which consists of a Linksys WRT54GS that I flashed with DD-WRT. That router is connected to the Telmex Huawei DSL modem. I set the Linksys with a STATIC IP and on the DMZ on the Huawei.
It works like a charm. DirecTV, PS4, AppleTV and Roku work fine. No hassles.
The VPN service is provided by StrongVPN.
The only thing is that the only protocol that the Linksys with DD-WRT can work with is PPTP, and I would prefer OpenVPN.
Well, I just ordered an ASUS RT-N66U, and as soon as I get it I'm going to flash it with Tomato, that does include OpenVPN. Let's see how that works.
I'll post how it goes.
Best regards.

johanson / Moderator

Sep 1, 2014, 8:52 AM

Post #7 of 19 (22245 views)

Shortcut

Re: [FinleyBob] dd-wrt (vpn) router behind telmex router

Thanks for the great information. Looking forward for and update. I see you have Telmex. Here lakeside (Ajijic, Lake Chapala) the fastest speed offered if you happen to live close enough to the DSLAM card is around 9 to 10 Mb/sec down by about 0.84 Mb/sec up
What is your internet speed? I use speedtest.net to check mine

(This post was edited by johanson on Sep 1, 2014, 8:59 AM)

at7mbe

Sep 23, 2014, 12:42 PM

Post #8 of 19 (21820 views)

Shortcut

Re: [FinleyBob] dd-wrt (vpn) router behind telmex router

I use an Asus RT-N16 router hard wired to my TelMex Huawei DSL modem. I'm running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/14/14) kingkong - build 22000M. I have not had to open any DMZ on the TelMex modem. I run OpenVPN with UDP protocol to a Hide My Ass server in Houston. I have 10 Mbps service from Telmex, and can test out at 9+ Mbps through the VPN with speedtest.net. Life is good in High Def.
-- Mark in Michoacán

chinagringo

Sep 23, 2014, 12:44 PM

Post #9 of 19 (21819 views)

Shortcut

Re: [at7mbe] dd-wrt (vpn) router behind telmex router

Us amateurs step back in awe when a techie talks so far above our heads!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by chinagringo on Sep 23, 2014, 12:46 PM)

johanson / Moderator

Sep 23, 2014, 7:45 PM

Post #10 of 19 (21788 views)

Shortcut

I used to be KD7ION but didn't renew. Using my Telmex ADSL connection I just upgraded to 10 down, but don't quite get that in Ajijic. It will be of course slightly slower through a VPN etc.
I'm in Seattle for another week so I'm not able to check the speed using Hide My Ass, or what have you.
As I have posted before, here in my Condo the fastest CenturyLink ADSL can give me is
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3782867 680]

Sure there are other more expensive faster services I can subscribe to should I live in the building full time, but part time 2 down is about all I can get. I consider Ajijic, Chapala my home where the speeds are so much better :)

at7mbe

Sep 23, 2014, 8:46 PM

Post #11 of 19 (21779 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] dd-wrt (vpn) router behind telmex router

Telmex has been pretty reliable for me at 10 Mbps down, and I've been surprised to see how little HMA VPN knocked it down. But then I'm only about 3 blocks from their central office in Pátzcuaro. The following may be a little off the VPN subject, but since speed matters for content viewing, you may find it useful.

I have Telmex ADSL with Paquete Acerques (5 Mbps) for $599/month. I paid an extra $199/month for an additional 5 Mbps, except that beginning in March the 5 Mbps additional appears on my bill as $0 with a note saying it's a promoción. So I'm paying $599 for 10 Mbps. I didn't know what that was about until I noticed two things this evening.

First, if you go to their Paquete website and look at the various packet offerings, all mention of speed differences between the three paquetes (3, 5, 10 Mbps) is gone. Vanished without a trace, as has the info on purchasing additional bandwidth. All three packets now say Incluye la conexión más rápida en infinitum. Hmm, maybe that's why they stopped charging me for the 5 Mbps additional, despite continuing to deliver it.

The difference in cost between the packets now seems to be only in terms of additional telephone options, like number of free minutes calling local cell phones, long distance, or the US. Internet speed isn't part of the pricing.

Second, about 3 months ago Telmex came through our little colonia and strung fiber optic cable on the poles, readily identified with yellow posters saying something like this to discourage thieves: "Cable Fibra Óptica. No tiene cobre." If you go to this website, you'll see that the three paquetes are now being offered with fiber optic service AT NO ADDITIONAL COST. Reading through the FAQs, the "no additional cost" includes a new fiber optic modem in your house, and running the fiber through your cable ducts. Telmex caveat: only where service is available (i.e., where there's a fiber trunk nearby).

If true, Telmex is following through on their 2011 promise to bring fiber to the home to leapfrog US service standards and bring Mexico into the 21st century. Fiber offers potential speeds of 20-100 Mbps to the home and 1 Gbps to businesses. Who needs such speeds to the home when 5-7 Mbps will suffice for HD TV? Telmex says it's for multi-TV homes where there will be several HD streams running simultaneously.

But to offer this for the same price as the old copper wire service? That will cost Telmex some money. Is it fear of future competition from the country-wide 4G wireless network that EPN wants built by 2018?

All I know is that I just sent an e-mail to their fiber optic division asking how I get my existing copper connection converted to fiber to take advantage of that new thick black cable hanging just outside my door and across the street.

-- Mark

(This post was edited by at7mbe on Sep 23, 2014, 8:56 PM)

johanson / Moderator

Sep 23, 2014, 11:18 PM

Post #12 of 19 (21766 views)

Shortcut

Thank you I too have the same package as you and asked to have my speed increased from 5 to 10 megs but keeping the 5 meg middle telephone package and like you paying I think about $200 pesos more.

I am, 1080 meters from the Ajijic Telmex Office per Telmex (That is also about what I measured using my car odometer) where they have my DSLAM card, therefore I'm not quite getting 10, but its real close.
Now when I looked at my on line bill from up here in Seattle a few days ago, I didn't see the price increase either. It showed only $599. So if this is really so, how great :)

Again, thank you and others for your great input.
Now what do I most often stream where I need this higher speed for HD? Almost nothing. Rather I need a usually need a small fraction of that speed to stream a radio station with country limitations or communicate with a satellite TV company where I wish to not let it be known I'm out of country.
I just like the higher speed when downloading other files

(This post was edited by johanson on Sep 23, 2014, 11:23 PM)

roberb7

Sep 25, 2014, 2:03 PM

Post #13 of 19 (21718 views)

Shortcut

Telmex cost

I got a phone call from Telmex today. What she told me is that I could upgrade to 10 mb/sec for either 529 or 539 pesos/month. (No, that's not a choice; I just couldn't understand whether she was saying veintenueve or treintanueve.) I'm currently paying about 390 for the default service. It sounds like the 5 mb/sec option is no longer available. This doesn't matter to me, because I'm getting 5 mb/sec with the default service anyway. (When I signed up a year ago, the default service was 3 mb/sec, and that was the only option available in my neighbourhood.)

Cm1401

Jan 25, 2015, 6:43 PM

Post #14 of 19 (20283 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roberb7] Telmex cost

I am in BCS and we have to receive our service through a radio link, I have also been using DD WRT router, but I set mine up for Dallas, apparently Mexico ties into the world wide internet through Dallas,. So to reduce my hops I conne t through there.

I keep one router set to Mexico and. Second one in Dallas,

Hide My Ass supports this service quite well.
Cerritos Beach, El Pescadero

markosjal

Jan 5, 2016, 12:24 AM

Post #15 of 19 (14759 views)

Shortcut

Get rid of the Telmex modem if it is ADSL and get a TP-Link Bridging mode modem for about 299 pesos. I have had 3 TP Link bridging mode modems running for 2 years in 3 different cities (Vallarta, Chapala and San Miguel) with NO ISSUES whereas with Telmex modems I was constantly replacing the modems.

If however you have the newer VDSL you would probably want a VDSL bridging mode modem , which I have not found yet. I do currently use an ADSL modem on one connection that was upgraded recently to VDSL but as I saw no difference in speed on my 12 Meg connection in San miguel I left my ADSL bridge mode modem on the connection.

If you have a fiber optic modem, well good luck you are stuck with the telmex hardware

RickS

Jan 5, 2016, 2:13 PM

Post #16 of 19 (14731 views)

Shortcut

Re: [markosjal] dd-wrt (vpn) router behind telmex router

In your area, how does one know a VDSL from ADSL Telmex modem?

markosjal

Jan 5, 2016, 8:16 PM

Post #17 of 19 (14716 views)

Shortcut

You do not "bridge" two routers

markosjal

Jan 5, 2016, 8:18 PM

Post #18 of 19 (14715 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] dd-wrt (vpn) router behind telmex router

In Reply To
In your area, how does one know a VDSL from ADSL Telmex modem?

Google the model number (google is your friend) My VDSL telmex modem has a handy USB port to connect a disk drive to , and is bigger then the telmex adsl modems.

markosjal

Jan 5, 2016, 8:21 PM

Post #19 of 19 (14714 views)

Shortcut

You may want to seriously consider if you want to share things like logins and passwords , especially for your bank or paypal acciount or even email address with your VPN provider . A VPN puts a "man in the moddle" that can see all. I do not recommend VPNing everything on the network it is too insecure, and other VPN users may find a way to access your info.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4