Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

citlali

Mar 4, 2014, 3:50 PM

Post #26 of 35 (3346 views)

Shortcut

Re: [txp] Safety in DF and Southern Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Yes the rainy season starts mid May in Chiapas . Forget going to Agua Azul at that time or any fall or rivers that are usually blue during the dry season , they will be brown so do not waste your time seeing Agua Azul or Agua Clara.
On the plus side it may take you less time to go by road to Yaxchilan as the road repairs should be over but as Esperanza says watch for the weather reports as water down here is a whole lot more dangerous than any highway thief you may encounter.

citlali

Mar 5, 2014, 3:22 PM

Post #27 of 35 (3306 views)

Shortcut

If you are going to fly to Villahermosa to go to Palenque in July you may want to fly directly to Palenque. They just finished a larger airport accross the street from the old one and are Interjet is supposed to start service Mexico Palenque around the 20th of March so they should be operating by July. Check Interjet sometimes in April or May.
It would save you time on the road in Tabasco to go directly into Palenque.
I would do anything not to have to go to Tabasco or Villahermosa, one of my least favorite state in the union.

geewiz

Mar 20, 2014, 11:22 AM

Post #28 of 35 (3213 views)

Shortcut

We drove from the coast, Playa del Carmen to San Cristobal last winter (Feb). 1st night in Palenque, then up the curving, mountain roads through Ocosingo to SC. We were in our old Dodge Caravan and found the road in very good condition. There were a couple of very short sections under repair, but the rest was excellent. Very curvy, and lots of up and down. Passing through one village, there were some ladies with a rope that wanted a "road tax". We pushed through the first time on our way up, but I was prepared on the way down a week later and willingly paid the small "toll".
Altogether an excellent trip, beautiful country, and beautiful people

citlali

Mar 20, 2014, 1:47 PM

Post #29 of 35 (3190 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geewiz] Safety in DF and Southern Mexico

There is no need to ever pay a toll to women or kids with ropes accross the road unless you want to.If you see a rope slow down and keep going the rope will droped.
I

playaboy

Mar 21, 2014, 8:22 AM

Post #30 of 35 (3137 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Safety in DF and Southern Mexico

In Reply To
There is no need to ever pay a toll to women or kids with ropes accross the road unless you want to.If you see a rope slow down and keep going the rope will droped.
I

I choose to "pay the rope toll" all the time. I also let the window washers clean my windshield. It is only 5 - 10 pesos and these people are just trying to feed themselves.

Geewiz, hola to you and the wife.

chinagringo

Mar 21, 2014, 9:39 AM

Post #31 of 35 (3119 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Safety in DF and Southern Mexico

RE: Window Washers

Years ago, our van was literally attacked by a gang of window washers at a major intersection in Aguascalientes. They were all jockeying for positions on our front windshield and squirting their "magic juice". There we so many that we couldn't pick one to actually clean the windshield, so I tried waving them all off. When that didn't work, I turned on the wipers high speed and started driving away when the light changed. Just up the road, we pulled into a Pemex and I asked the attendant to clean up the mess. Since I was standing outside, I happened to notice that something was eating the paint right off the hood. Even though we immediately rinsed the hood, the damage was already done!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

citlali

Mar 21, 2014, 12:37 PM

Post #32 of 35 (3099 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Safety in DF and Southern Mexico

Good luck in Chiapas. Sometimes we have a few ropes and during vacations you may have a rope on every tope between San Cristobal and Palenque and they are close to 200 topes...
The ones I pay attention to are the nails on the road and the guys with the machete. Ithey cost usualy around 20 pesos and have a legit gripe.

Sorry I do not have a wife.

(This post was edited by citlali on Mar 21, 2014, 12:38 PM)

playaboy

Mar 21, 2014, 1:15 PM

Post #33 of 35 (3091 views)

Shortcut

I was saying Hola to Geewiz, a previous poster, and his wife. They were neighbors of mine in Playa del Carmen.

I know what you mean about all the rope tolls and topes.with beggars. I just have a soft spot for hungry people.

los arboles resident

Mar 22, 2014, 8:22 PM

Post #34 of 35 (3038 views)

Shortcut

We have more topes in our development per capita, like 1 kilometer of road with at least 18 topes.

chinagringo

Mar 23, 2014, 8:35 AM

Post #35 of 35 (3011 views)

Shortcut

Re: [los arboles resident] Safety in DF and Southern Mexico

A couple of years back, we brought along one of those "clicker counters" to count topes. We drove a 3000 mile loop out of Guadalajara and I was very diligent about having the ring looped around a finger on my right hand while driving. Our mix of road types was probably 60/40 cuota vs libre or city streets. If my memory serves me correctly, we averaged 1.2 topes per mile for the entire 3000 miles. Note: I did ignore the smaller/minor rumble strips since they really didn't require slowing down.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4