Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

tvalley

Feb 17, 2014, 10:32 AM

Post #1 of 8 (9360 views)

Shortcut

Gluten Free in Vallarta area?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am going to be spending 6 weeks in Nuevo Vallarta this summer beginning June 10th with my 10 year old son who has Celiac's and can't eat gluten (wheat, rye, or barley, primarily). Does anyone know the best places to shop around Vallarta or (preferably) Bucerias or the nearby area for gluten free foods? I have tried the Mega, Walmart, and Ley in the past, but the selections are very minimal and prices are very high. I am wondering if anyone who lives in the area full time and is GF might know of some better places to shop? I don't even mind driving a ways if I can stock up & make the trip worthwhile! Thanks in advance......
Alan Salls
Temecula, CA
alan@tvalley.com

JRinPV

Feb 18, 2014, 8:12 AM

Post #2 of 8 (9314 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tvalley] Gluten Free in Vallarta area?

Only place I know is on the south side of Puerto Vallarta, long way from you, Organic, V. Carranza # 517, just west of the small tunnel. 322-222-3286

sioux4noff

Feb 18, 2014, 8:38 AM

Post #3 of 8 (9310 views)

Shortcut

Mega has recently increased their selection of gluten free things. Chedraui also has some, as does Walmart.
You probably won't find any less expensive selections elsewhere.
Most food is gluten free anyway, isn't it? Meat, vegetables, eggs, cheese, corn tortillas. If there is some particular item he really likes, bring it along.
There is an organic shop next to the highway overpass in Nuevo Vallarta, but I've never been in it.

tvalley

Feb 18, 2014, 2:32 PM

Post #4 of 8 (9286 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the advice, both of you. It's good to hear some more things have been added at Mega and the Walmart, and I will check out the organic stores too. What I am most concerned with is cereal (that's pretty bulky to bring 6 weeks supply with me) and bread. At home I make homemade gluten free bread, and I sure can't bring my bread-maker & all my flours & other stuff with me. I know last year it was all but impossible to get GF bread ANYWHERE, but hopefully things have gotten better. Yes, most MX food (as long as it's not in or with flour tortillas) is GF, but my son still likes his cereal in the AM. Of course he can't have any of the great MX pastries anymore, even though he loves them!
Thanks again for the replies. They are much appreciated. :)
Alan Salls
Temecula, CA
alan@tvalley.com

Caarina12

Apr 10, 2014, 6:29 PM

Post #5 of 8 (8800 views)

Shortcut

Hello Alan,

I don't travel often to the Vallarta area, but when I travel with my son who has Celiac disease in Mexico, I often take along many packages of GF pasta, bread mix and certified GF oats for when I am cooking at our home base. In my experience, it is almost impossible to find GF bread outside of large cities. (Guadalajara & Mexico City are the only places I have found it.)

I was looking in Cuernavaca a few weeks ago for GF items at Comercial Mexicana, and I found they had a great selection of pastas but at eye popping prices. I have never seen GF breakfast cereal in Mexico. (but hey, Atole is GF!)

Good luck!
Caarina

tvalley

Apr 10, 2014, 7:46 PM

Post #6 of 8 (8792 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Caarina12] Gluten Free in Vallarta area?

Thanks Carina - I appreciate your advice & experience. I was able to find GF pasta in Vallarta and Bucerias last year without much problem, but yes, it was expensive. I think I will bring some of the recently released GF Barrilla pastas with me this year as they are really good & barely cost any more than regular Barrilla does.

I'm going to bring a couple of loaves of my own homemade bread with me & hope the customs people don't take them away from us - it can be kept frozen for a long time & still be good. If we use it sparingly it will last quite a while (not 6 weeks, but...........).

I have to display my ignorance........what is Atole? Is it something that can be substituted for cereal?

Two months from today we will be there - I just can't wait - GF or not! :) Thank you again so much for your posting.

Alan Salls
alan@tvalley.com
Alan Salls
Temecula, CA
alan@tvalley.com

Caarina12

Apr 10, 2014, 7:59 PM

Post #7 of 8 (8788 views)

Shortcut

Atole is a breakfast "drink" made of corn masa. To me, it has the texture of cream of wheat, and my son likes it for breakfast. You can buy it in Mexico from any local tianguis/mercado in the morning. Ask the tamal sellers, as they usually have it and can tell you where to find it. I particularly like chocolate atole (called champurrado), pineapple and strawberry. I had a unique atole once in Paracho, Michoacan made with cajeta. YUM! You can also make it from Maseca or fresh masa at home. A quick search online can provide many recipes.

Caarina

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atole

tvalley

Apr 10, 2014, 8:36 PM

Post #8 of 8 (8784 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Caarina12] Gluten Free in Vallarta area?

Thanks Caarina, sounds interesting! I will check it out & have him try it!

Alan
Alan Salls
Temecula, CA
alan@tvalley.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4