Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

jorgensen

Feb 11, 2014, 6:58 AM

Post #1 of 9 (5101 views)

Shortcut

Note on Recent Events

Can't Post | Private Reply
The horrifying news that a Canadian couple living in La Floresta was murdered last Saturday night has spread throughout the expat community and struck fear into the hearts of many. We had hoped that Lakeside’s violence was in the past. As stunned as we were in May of 2012 when drug cartels killed 18 Mexicans here, we at least knew that expats weren’t being targeted. And, as scary as home robberies are, we’ve assumed that no one would actually want to hurt expats. We've assumed that robbers just want the loot.
So, this is a triple-whammy. We will miss Nina’s and Eduardo’s smiling faces. And now we know that expats can be targeted, and that robberies can involve physical violence, too.
Why did this happen? And, how likely is it that someone else will be targeted? We won’t know for sure until the investigation is done, of course. We’re told that the motive was probably robbery because the house was ransacked and the vehicles taken. But why the violence? The robbers could have taken what they wanted (except for the vehicles) while the couple was out of the house earlier in the evening.
One clue that could be significant is that, according to a source close to the scene, the couple had had recently complained to a neighbor whose contractors had been playing loud music. The neighbor fired the contractors, as a result. Revenge could explain the violence as well as the robbery.
The vehicles will probably turn up sooner or later, and will probably have fingerprints on them, and possibly blood. There is a reasonable chance that the perpetrators will be identified and caught.
But will this happen again to someone else? All things considered, it’s not as likely as it might seem. There were probably very specific circumstances that led to the murders in this case. But, whatever comfort we can take from that, it will never bring Nina and Eduardo back. May they rest in peace. And we will never feel quite as secure as we did. May we all rest in peace.

Brian

Feb 11, 2014, 7:45 AM

Post #2 of 9 (5083 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jorgensen] Note on Recent Events

He was beaten on the head with a small statue and she died from a stab wound to the stomach. I suspect that you might be right about a vengeance motive or, possibly, animosity towards foreigners. Those are injuries both brutal and agonizing unlike gunshots for example.

Gringal

Feb 12, 2014, 7:56 AM

Post #3 of 9 (4966 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Note on Recent Events

To add to the basic rumor: Someone reported that the workers were not only playing loud music but that they were abusing an animal. Nina was known to be an animal advocate. The workers' activities were reported and more than one lost his job. That's the basis of the "revenge motive" rumor.
So far, the police are treating this as robbery motivated.
A terrible tragedy, regardless of motive.

bronco

Feb 12, 2014, 10:02 PM

Post #4 of 9 (4870 views)

Shortcut

dont minimalize this. few of us are as naive as you percieve. around 8 or so expats have been murdered since end of nov. 2011. christopher kahr (center ajijic), alen tuppleseed (riberis), double murder expat & partner (riberis), double murder german expat& wife july 2012 (chapala), nina & eduardo 2014 (floresta). (there were an additonal 3 but they were back in the 1990s). muggings, & near murders from 2009-2014. i will refrain from the rest. no, im not interested in chicago. im interested in a place w/a few thousand expats. learn your history.

(This post was edited by bronco on Feb 12, 2014, 10:13 PM)

bronco

Feb 12, 2014, 10:08 PM

Post #5 of 9 (4868 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Note on Recent Events

tragic thing to happen, no one deserves to die that way. but when will folks learn? dont get involved w/the affairs of mexicans/mexican workers, ever. revenge is common. foolish, & deadly. the road to hell was paved w/good intentions. stay away, dont bud in. most of all get really good protection & security. (ps i myself have complained about loud music from construction sites. i always called the association police. workers or the patrol didnt know wher the call was originating from. when people live here they need to learn how to navigate).

(This post was edited by bronco on Feb 12, 2014, 10:18 PM)

La Isla

Feb 13, 2014, 8:30 AM

Post #6 of 9 (4809 views)

Shortcut

An arrest has been made:

http://www.cbc.ca/...!/content/1.2534772/

(This post was edited by RickS on Feb 13, 2014, 9:53 AM)

citlali

Feb 13, 2014, 2:33 PM

Post #7 of 9 (4730 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Note on Recent Events

It is good that one arrest was made, now they need to get the brother as well. The two are bad seeds that need to be taken out of circulation for a while. Beside being bad they are total idiots, Imagine killing two people because you want their TV car and come out with 7600 pesos?? How about breaking in when no one is there??
They allegedly killed because the people had recognized them or thought they had rcognized them,. Not for vengeance according to Sr. Najera. They also were drunk so their reasonning may have been impaired as well.
What a sad and pitiful story.

We can all learn from it, watch out for strangers observing your house or moves.

Jorgensen , I do not know how long you have lived in the areas but they have been murders of foreigners all along. Not because they are foreigners but because they had appeared on someone´s radar and were in the way .

Shortly after I bought the house 13 years ago I found out that the woman who had lived there 3 years before died in mysterious conditions the night her car was stolen, Some young druggie, a foreigner according to her friend, walked in her kitchen and lifted her keys. She asked him what he was doing in her house and he told her he had come into the wrong property, She went out to lunch with her friend and told her her keys were missing and about the young man being in her kitchen. The friend offered her a room until she changed the keys but she refused saying the young man was a nice young man.
She was found dead in the morning in her pyjamas and her car was gone. No one ever found out if she had been hit over the head or hurt he head when falling but she was dead and the car was recovered about 8 blocks from the house...
When I found this out the locks got changed and the walls went up.. I think we all need to be aware of our environement and security.
The friend told me a house sitter of her was also killed. and you hear of people being killed on a regular basis. This is unfortunately not the first crime and will not be the last. It is up to each person to think f ways of protecting themselves.

(This post was edited by citlali on Feb 13, 2014, 3:39 PM)

Gringal

Feb 13, 2014, 3:24 PM

Post #8 of 9 (4715 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Note on Recent Events

....and then, there's the mind-set of frustrated burglars. They thought they had a "plan" but it went awry and the "solution" was to commit a far more heinous crime.

Advice: try to look at things from a bad guy's point of view and take steps accordingly to protect yourself and your property.

I sometimes see peoples' property and can't help but notice how easy it would be for someone to get in.

bronco

Feb 13, 2014, 5:03 PM

Post #9 of 9 (4701 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Note on Recent Events

see my other comment, mentioned that 8 older expats were murdered in a 2 1/2 yr period. this does not include the assaults, serious injuries from other invasions, street muggings. it heated up around 2009, big time. jorgenson sells suscriptions for an online mag. (one of those paradise things from an "expert"). she started this after living here less than a year. i am sure she is computer savvy, has seen lakechapalacrime.com, google. her comment was didactic. there's an assumption that most elderly are naive. (yes some are). we are all not naive, @least most people who read mexconnect. during the last several years, (especially during the height of the drug killings, kidnappings) there were people out there who screamed "safe". anyone who states this has an agenda, big time. we dont need to be patronized, i found her comment insulting.

(This post was edited by bronco on Feb 13, 2014, 7:50 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4