Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Mexicanbill

Feb 11, 2014, 6:30 AM

Post #1 of 6 (3121 views)

Shortcut

Crossing with a Mexican Dog

Can't Post | Private Reply
We will be returning to the states in about a month. We will be taking our dog from the states and we have a new one year old dog that we got while in Mexico. Can someone tell me what paperwork will be needed at the boarder to take the new dog with us. I think an updated health certificate is all that is needed for the state side dog that is returning with us, correct?
Chef William aka MexicanBill

donemry

Feb 11, 2014, 7:21 AM

Post #2 of 6 (3106 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicanbill] Crossing with a Mexican Dog

We cross back into the USA with our dog every year. We have never been asked for any kind of paperwork for her. By the way, the same for driving into Mexico.

robt65

Feb 11, 2014, 7:53 AM

Post #3 of 6 (3098 views)

Shortcut

Hey Bill,

The same goes here, Bill. I have three Labs and have never been asked for papers. I do have them up to date and with me just in case. I have seen one or two times the U.S. customs guy look for the tag on the collar, but just a glance visually and no "hands on" so to speak. I have never been asked if the dog was a "Mexican" or a "US citizen" (smiling) Also I brought a cat in the same trip one time and have never been asked about her either. Maybe they thought anyone stupid enough or brave enough to take three dogs and a cat "earned" the right to pass through, I don't know. Only know I have never been asked in either direction. Just have everything (all papers) on board in case you are asked. Make sure they have their collars on with the rabies tag attached. Tell the US border folks they are both U.S. Citizens, and they will probably smile.
A heads up, get your front line tick and flea stuff in the USA. Much less expensive as well as being a better quality product. Also the bulk dog food there is much less expensive and a better quality by far, . . . . . . at least the Purina products are and I have heard the same for other brands as well.
Have a good trip.
Regards,
Robt65

mazbeach

Feb 11, 2014, 10:34 AM

Post #4 of 6 (3072 views)

Shortcut

For those crossing by air, it's not quite so simple. You will need a health certificate and vaccination record because you will be steered to the Agricultural Department at the US airport.

Mexicanbill

Feb 12, 2014, 12:43 PM

Post #5 of 6 (3009 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] Crossing with a Mexican Dog

Thanks everyone for your help. We will be leaving and returning by car. One of our dogs is a little to large to fit under an airplane seat. We will have the papers anyway just in case we are the ones that get asked.
Chef William aka MexicanBill

wilpharm

Mar 7, 2014, 7:49 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2632 views)

Shortcut

Bill, we cross at Laredo Bridge II 2 or 3 times a year with 2 dogs..SO far we have never been asked for dog papers going either way…I think they have bigger fish to fry & are too busy to jack around with dog stuff….BUT there is a first time for everything…getting the correct papers is not a big deal either in Mexico or the USA...

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4